1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Hilton is all but gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 2, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

This is funny :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    its not funny for the defense.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I say go chase the money. Our guys deserve it. Best defense in the league and they won us multiple championships. Ok fine, multiple SB appearances..wait... multiple playoff games...oops... a playoff game... errr well they were awesome during the season!

• Like Like x 4
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No matter what, good for him. He has turned in to a solid pro. Anyone with half a brain knows that Pittsburgh has cap issues and there are some tough decisions to be made. I just heard where some analyst was saying that many of these UFA's might end up signing one year deals this year and maybe next year because of the low cap. Hilton might be one of them. He's not the type of CB you build the rest of the secondary around like Ramsey or Revis.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree on the not knowing which 2 keep.
    On the other
    IMO
    Different is Steelers don't have a countdown clock put up on the internet 2 show when, or if they are done with him.
    If they didn't give him a chance , or a opportunity 2 show off his skillset , maybe no opportunitys of more money.
    Would players, or people like it if Steelers put up a Cut clock? JMO

6. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Pretty sure I read somewhere in the rules that we're not supposed to relax around here and overreact to anything and everything. You should check the rules again before posting. I'll let it slide this time, but don't think I won't report you if you keep breaking the rules and trying to keep order. I already jumped @Blast Furnace for it and he sent me an apology and a fruit basket. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone, but it was a really nice fruit basket and I'm a bit of a blabbermouth.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No more fruit for you!

8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Me and my big mouth :facepalm:

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It's only burning a bridge if you are a Sensitive Susan like most fans are. The guy deserves a pay day and he isn't getting it from the Steelers. There should be no hard feelings.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes the Steelers did say it and yes it's on the internet . Maybe Hilton's countdown clock is for his new steeper contract? You don't know but we're quick to jump him for something other than that without knowing.:cool:

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Sad thing for him is he may be quietly wishing he was still on the Browns instead of a team in rebuild mode.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's been a baller and someone is going to pay him. It sucks but it is what it is.

Maybe like others he's go to another team and stink only to come back at a reduced price.

Who knows but yeah he's gone. I'd say sutton of all players I'd try to obtain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Of those people posted i forsee them only really working with Banner and Sutton. (Spillane?).

Who knows but yeah most are likely gone for now. Oh well the steelers went all in with contract extensions the past previous years and now we're paying the piper.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can’t wait for the Brownies to finish 3rd or 4th in the division. People need to get off that hype train. Let’s see them maintain some consistency before crowning them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm still hoping Hilton is retained, maybe from the Roethlisberger savings.

I think losing Hilton will be of Colbert's greatest mistakes. We could have signed him to a sweetheart deal 2 years ago yet neglected to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    agreed. he is the better player even though most think he is less flexible position wise. mehh, i'm not so sure about that either. he proved that in college. same as haden instead of nelson. haden is the better player, just older by 3 years.

now that said, i like sutton as well but bring up again trevor williams who we have on the roster. was a starter a couple of years ago for the chargers. where he lies in the mix is a something we need to monitor. pierre they seem to like as well. layne though not yet has had some good moments and bad. i don't think he's that bad frankly. this is still one of the strengths of our defense if they are going to make any type of run.

maybe they do draft high but i doubt it. i still like the under rated shamar jean-charles in the late 4th. app. st. product. has a lot to like and would be a steal.

cincinnati also had one heck of a defense and two really good safeties that aren't getting a lot of looks by the draft gurus. they would fit quite well with what we want and do. i'd love if their HC would eventually be the steelers next one. fickell is a good coach. :cool:

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This! I liked what Hilton brought to the field. If the Steelers weren't so pressed up against the cap year after year maybe things would be different.

But hell they have to keep that regular season winning record going...

They have a boatload of dough put into 2 players on the D Line, one they just restructured. But the massive pay cut that Ol Ben took will even things out :eek:

The whole kicking the can down the road adds to the cap each season even after a player is gone.

I'm all for being competitive but wouldn't it be nice if they had some cap breathing room once in a while to possibly sign a quality FA?

This would have been the season to cut bait (Ben) and retool. Sorry they are not going to be a Super Bowl contender.

So possibly Haden is cut. Or Nelson. One or both could be extended. They are not going to sign Hilton, possibly not Sutton. Dupree is gone. The rumor has DeCastro possibly on the block. Cut Vince and let him resign after waivers or ask him to take a pay cut. They need a center.

They had a shot last season until injuries and dumbing down the offense happened.

So Ben will trot out there for his retirement tour (or will he pull a Favre?) and possibly go 9-7, 10-6. Or 8-8. Still a winning season though. I expect more but that's just me.

A couple of down years won't hurt especially the way most of these college programs model themselves like NFL teams. And QB's are more NFL ready then years ago. But but what about between Bradshaw and Ben? Boo hoo. Different time now.

Can't grab a prize QB if your picking low without giving the house away.

Sure will be an interesting upcoming season though...

18. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    it's interesting how many people want to fault the guy for making it to possibly a big pay day when he asked for new deals the last couple years and was basically told to take his ERFA deal and that's all he'd get. Sure, they kept him around and paid him, but all these guys want long term deals. He produced every year he was here but was never valued enough to get an actual deal and he's the bad guy? Come on. He bided his time, kept his mouth shut, didn't complain and did the job. If someone throws a ton of cash at him, good for him. It sucks to lose him, but, we had chances the last couple years and did nothing. So if he goes, there's only one side to blame frankly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t know why some think the Steelers were giving a big F-U to Hilton by not throwing a boat load of cash at him sooner.

They are constantly up against the cap, they have to take that into consideration when deciding who to pay and when.

Why does there have to be a bad guy in the situation? Steelers did what was in their best interest at the time and Hilton will do what is in his best interest now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Well the Browns do know how to have a running game and prepare for a game while dealing with Covid-19 distractions. That's something I am envious of as a Steelers fan.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Meh. Steelers got jerked around a lot over covid and won their games, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree with you. It was other factors that led to the Steelers collapse the last six games - play calling, QB hitting the wall, injuries hitting the wall, coaching hitting the wall, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I bet his agent probably has a deal lined up for him already.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk, he'll be overpaid somewhere imo. Free agency is like the Feds buying up all the gold.

• Agree Agree x 1