1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading down in the first round

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 27, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't seem like the Steelers are ever interested in doing it, but if the top LTs and Najee Harris are gone, it might not be a bad idea. With so many holes to fill, and not enough picks to fill them all they should consider it. Their top needs are LT,C,RB,TE,ILB.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also CB.
    If we are not keeping both Starters from last year...we need a CB.
    People we expect 1 starting CB , and Fitzpatrick 2 cover the whole backfield, we know T. Edmunds isn't going 2 help....maybe help get in the way.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think trading back makes huge sense if the deal is right. I dont know much about the prospects because I don’t watch college ball but I’d generally be against a RB in the first. A lot depends on how the board falls and who they like.

Im not sure the team see left tackle as such a huge need, AL is gone but I think they may give Chuks a shot to start there next year, and if he proves himself he will get a second deal. RT may be a straight competition between Banner and a draft pick?

All will be revealed in the coming weeks and months

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It depends on who they keep, I wouldn't draft one early too many bigger holes to fill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks wasn't that good in run blocking at RT, so why move him to LT? When the team needs to improve the running game, they need to find a LT who can get some push upfront.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we know MT loves banner. he will start unless his rehab goes badly. chuks is a draft pick and former starter, he will be given the shot to start at LT. i too don't see LT as a first round need though we may not like the player being considered or want an upgrade. i still see the backup or competition coming from coyle, collins, walton, jones or bringing back hawkins for the other tackle spots. i don't think RB is in the cards either for our first round pick. i do like the thought of dropping a few spots and gaining some picks, always did.

i still see the first pick as a corner, center< doubtful, WR, ILB. i think we get our center in the 2nd. additional offensive linemen later in the draft, with the depth available in this draft it would really be foolish to waste the early pick on them. except center which is really our only immediate need. again there are some really good LT's farther down in this draft. landon young from kentucky and dan moore jr. from A&M. both have high praise, a lot of starts and very high ceilings.

as for RB, there again are a lot of good ones not in the first round of this draft. again wasting in essence the draft pick too early and missing on some top players at other positions. i think they like snell and mcfarland, but just want to add to them.

ILB, we have to add to help bush. vince ain't it. UG3 is never healthy. spillane would need signed.

corner, we lost both slot corners. this is big here.

WR, we lost juju. most don't think this is crucial but it is. johnson and claypool are good. washington doesn't give them anything special to help the other two. he is solid as a 4th option don't get me wrong but he doesn't help the other two nor take a lot of pressure off them. a guy like kadavious toney from florida would. he is quick off the line which helps. these type require extra attention (like johnson) or they can light you up. this helps the other two guys like johnson and claypool get single coverage. then they can become a problem for the defense. without the 3rd guy that posses a problem these two are easily covered. johnson gets dinged up a lot as well. everyone just thinks we draft wrs at any point and they become stars always here but we have had some clunkers that they forget about.

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    the Steelers should be forbidden from ever drafting a DB again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but we need them.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They are going to have to draft/ aquire a cb and SS

• Like Like x 1
  10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have looked at the possibility of trading back to a team like Atlanta and getting a ton of picks back. Granted, this moves us out of the first round, but I think we slide down about 10-12 spots and add a couple of more picks to this year and next if a guy like Mac Jones drops. I don't think any QB other than probably Lawrence and Wilson are an upgrade to what we have, so I'd rather have some additional assets in order to fix some holes I currently have.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Zaven Collins is still somehow on the board, Tomlin is going to run to the podium and acquire him. He and Devin Bush would immediately become the best Off Ball Linebacking Duo in the Division off the bat. This is also not accounting for the fact that Vince Williams is getting long in the tooth and it is still unknown as to how much longer he intends to play.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not against moving down, but honestly you are not going to get a 'ton' of picks by moving down 10-12 spots that late in the first round. You do lose that 5th year option which can be huge if a player becomes one of your main stays. At this point I believe they have 7 with the possible addition of 2 comp picks. Unless they get an offer they cannot refuse I do not see them dropping out of the first.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam Sutton says hi

14. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    these guys all say "hi" back:

Artie Burns CB
    Antonio Brooks S
    Justin Layne CB
    Marcus Allen S
    Brian Allen DB
    Sean Davis S
    Senquez Golson CB
    Doran Grant CB
    Gerod Holliman S
    Shaquille Richardson DB
    Shamarko Thomas DB
    Terry Hawthorne DB
    Terrance Frederick DB
    Curtis Brown DB
    Cortez Allen DB
    Crezdon Butler DB

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The Draft selections used 2 get most...did you really think they would be great???

16. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    half of the players I listed were drafted in the 4th round and earlier:

Artie Burns - 1st
    Sean Davis - 2nd
    Senquez Golson - 2nd
    Justin Layne - 3rd
    Curtis Brown - 3rd
    Shamarko Thomas - 4th
    Doran Grant - 4th
    Cortez Allen - 4th

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know. Still I mean 1st two rounds. I also think Sean Davis never got a fair shake ,but I do hear what you're saying.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

If drafting a Cornerback that was successful was so simple, every team would field top flight secondary's. Sadly, this is simply not the case. The same methodology applies to the Steelers as finding good Cornerbacks is not as easy as it sounds. However, for me, it goes a bit deeper than just merely acquiring the "wrong guys".

The problem is not so much the player aspect so much as it is the type of Cornerback the team wants; odd considering how Mike Tomlin wanted his Secondary to look like after the retirements of both Troy and Dick. The problem manifests with too many ideologies clashing all at once; namely in the philosophy. There were two types of issues going on from 2008-2017 in terms of what the team wanted from their Corners. They are as follows;

1.) The LeBeau Style: Tough as nails but steady as they go, these types of Corners were never big time superstar players but they never gave up the big time plays as their biggest assest was their polish and fundamentals. Not super freaky by any standards but very consistent.. up until the end of LeBeau's time of course. That said, this method worked as Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark were the true "Dynamic Duo" of those LeBeau Years and were often tasked to perform a myriad of objectives.

2.) The Tomlin Style: Man Heavy Corners with a ball hawking mindset. These Corners are supposed to not just lock their opposition down but to take the ball away as well. The biggest issue at the time however was accelerating this initiative too soon by drafting Corners with freakish athletic abilities with immense potential but very raw overall; Artie Burns being the end result. Add his lack of development time and, while this new approach is still a great way to combat the current League, in practice, the approach has not turned out nearly as well as Tomlin would have hoped.

Now, all this said, is there still hope for some of the current players on the roster?! I believe so. For me, I believe Cameron Sutton is ready for a major role in this defense as there really is nothing much he can gain from already playing every Defensive Back spot with the exception of the DIME role. Why Justin Layne continues to obtain so much animosity is beyond me as the same people who are railing on Layne are indirectly reinforcing the problem that the likes of Artie Burns had when he came out. Furthermore, Justin Layne is still new to the position; not benefiting to a Training Camp or Preseason doubly so. James Pierre could possibly have a bigger future ahead of him as he definitely made a good impression in that Wild Card Game against the Browns.

Overall, context and perspective play a big part in evaluating some of the shortcomings of a team. For Mike Tomlin, I think his shortcomings have been obvious; Cornerback Development was and still seemingly is a problem. I do believe though that post 2017 this team is past the worst of it for the most part. As stated before, Cameron Sutton seems to be on track to be the first big one Tomlin has hit on Cornerback wise. Justin Layne is still very young at 23 and is still new to the position. Assuming the NFL has a Training Camp, it will be interesting to see how well he will have gotten by then. There is also the likely aspect of adding another Cornerback in the Locker Room via the draft but how high in the draft the team takes one is anybody's guess currently. Either way is irrelavent as that player will be subjected to the same praise/critiques as his predecessors.

For me, drafting any good player is just as luck based as it is about the player fitting one's ideology and schematics. That is why so many teams miss on specific positions. However, more often than not, things have to get worse before they get better and for me, I believe that the Steelers are finally past the worst of the conflicting woes that plagued the team during the early years of the Tomlin Era.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh my I forgot how bad they were in evaluating CB & Safety talent.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yes, they should regardless of who is available. Drafts are not for immediate needs, they're for the future.

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Good luck with that argument, In a salary cap era and especially because the Steelers always pay up to the cap,
    these daft picks better show some productivity early and often. No redshirt years in the pros.

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    In year one? Lucky to find one impact rookie. And yet after the draft, the Steelers media and fans will tick off every position drafted as a "hole filled".

Steelers might not be so cap-strapped if they'd stop this foolish practice of restructuring the same contracts every year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've always said, they should've made a secret deal with Baltimore. They draft our DB's and we draft their WR's.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No they pay all their players a competitive wage, This is why they pay up to cap limits. Yes their are superstars, that have hindered the
    salary cap, but don't most NFL teams(that pay up to cap limit) have this problem?

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's the QBs. Nothing more. I won't go back far for this point.
    When Neil O. played no problem drafting Wrs.
    Enter Kordell...can't draft Wrs. Bench Kordell....magically Wrs are good. Ben gets here...most Wrs are good, or they work. Plus no Wrs....no matter what they say publicly, want 2 turn around every 3rd play looking 4 the ball , only 2 see their Qb running down the field.
    Come on even After L. Jackson MVP season they couldn't get any Free agents Wrs. 2 come in.
    Look it up.