1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Does anybody else picture Colbert working on this contract and sighing in disgust at the task he's trying to pull off?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    There is nothing in the NFLPA that would prevent the Steelers from releasing him on his old contract, and then signing him to a new contract to save 18 million on their salary cap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but that isn't going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    With each passing day you have to wonder what the hold up is? If all they are going to do is the simple extension to spread his bonus money out for 3 or 4 years why haven't they?

I am still holding out hope that Ben will not cost us anything in 2022, 2023, or even 2024.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It is a little odd. Although since Art and Ben had their meeting, it’s only been a few days. I imagine if it’s straight up restructuring, there will be an announcement by the end of next week. If not, then they want him to take a pay cut.

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It might be Khan saying "you want me to what?"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Ben gave the organization his all off the field during his career. That being said, I think Ben earned the right to come back under certain financial considerations.

He helped this organization make it to 3 Superbowls, have many opportunities to compete for the Superbowl, and win many games.

Ben came off an injury. Maybe he can improve and play better with another year of therapy and training?

Ben is probably still better than his backups at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, from the same perspective one could argue that Ben has helped bring a substantial amount of revenue to the Rooneys through his career as well. I get your point and many organizations might well have acted more in line with it, but I still think this one could as well if the numbers don't pan out. While Rooney's heart may be bleeding a little for Ben to give it another go, I think there's a limit.

IMO, the big debate in all this is how you see the $19M that could be saved simply by Ben being cut or retired. I don't think there's much to be gained or lost simply by having Ben back as a QB unless something really surprising happens. I don't think he'll be an albatross, but would be fine with seeing Mason get a shot.

No doubt I share a spot with you on the business side of the ledger - I don't want to see young talent sacrificed because of veteran dead money - but I'm hoping Rooney is going to balance his emotion with the business so it's equally the right thing to do.

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I may have missed a loophole, but I was under the impression that all prorated bonus money (e.g., repackaged base salary) came due as a lump sum upon the player being cut or retired. So if the Steelers elect to kick, say, $15M down the road over multiple years it still comes due in total once Ben is removed from the roster. The only hinge being if he is considered a pre (money counts against coming season's cap) or post (following season's) June 1 removal.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  10. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    If they give him multiple years they’re insane the cheapest option is for him to play somewhere else which no other team wants him retire or be cut

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes you are right, but they may opt to do a Drew Brees type long goodbye depending on how they are fixed for salary cap space whenever he leaves, keep him on the roster until June 1st and spread it out over two seasons.

Looking at 2022 they can probably manage to do it all at once but it’ll limit what they can do in free agency

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it will get done in the next 2 weeks.

13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    2022 is strange to look at... only 17 players under contract? There likely won't be many high dollar contracts filling it, but there will be at least a few (Watt, Fitzpatrick, e.g.). Hopefully the cap bounces back to $200M...

14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Well you could add two draft classes to that 17, so that will probably bring you up to 30, then extensions for Watt, Minkah, Nelson, maybe Chuks and a few others. They should have 35 of their own guys.

Looks like they are going to have a tonne of money to fill out the rest of the roster but they’ll have a lot of holes to fill.

It’s a good opportunity to get out from under this cap hell they have been in forever.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they are to give extensions to watt, nelson and chuks it would have to be this year. (no money this year.) they can't wait until 2022 and just say we are going to extend you for those guys. at that point they are free agents. new contracts, unless the tag is used one one of them. fitzpatrick will be in his 5th year option at that point. :cool:

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Since he only has one year on a contract I don’t believe there’s anything that can be restructured?

17. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    So basically you're saying Ben is about to become the Albert Bell of football??

18. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    That is what I'm hoping...give him the 40 million and get it over with. If you restructure and extend the money it's almost as if the team might feel obligated to keep bringing him back. Pay him all the money this year and get ready to sever ties.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You're correct. BF may have been just been using 'restructuring' loosely rather than formally - restructuring the $19M of base salary into an extension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Did I miss something? How is ben signed through 22-23? Did they extend him again??

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not sure why they'd feel obligated - it's not like they haven't eaten dead money in the past. And there's no feasible way for them to absorb $41M with this year's cap.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the way i understood what i saw was for them to add years that could be voidable. the problem is not the 19 million but the roster bonus due if he goes into this next season in march.
    no he's not but thats what they were talking about doing with the extension. if you look at previous posts where we talked about this. steelers depot had a write up about it as well. the extension would be voidable years added to get relief for this year and stretch 5 million to 2023 and 5 million to 2024. even if they cut him then. that would mean he's still under contract in those years if they decided to keep him. one way he's on the roster the other just his money helping this year basically. :cool:

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I think they will almost certainly do extensions with both Watt and Nelson once the salary cap figure is announced. The deals will bring their 2021 figures down most likely.

They can’t extend Chuks at this point, he has not earned it and they can’t afford it. Let him play out the year and see what happens.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Here's the heart of the matter for me, placing all of the cap logistics aside for the moment. I was listening to The Fan yesterday, and Paul Alexander was talking about Ben coming back. He reiterated how most of us feel about Ben. The amazing moments he's engineered, too many to mention. Then, he asked, "But moving forward, are you excited that he's coming back?" The answer for me is, no I'm not. I'm just neutral about it mostly because I don't think he's good enough at this stage of his career to make a difference with what will likely be an average football team. That's just how I feel. If he comes back, fine. If Art II wants to throw good money after bad, it's his right. Wouldn't be the first time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1