1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert Confirms Rebuild...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 20, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. 3rd time I believe I've been asked that. LoL. Got a few, but not sure yet. Want 2 make sure be4 I say. Not that what I say means a Hill-o- Beans ,but at least I don't want 2 sound stupid in my own ears. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think we are in agreement regarding the 1st pick and I even stated as much in my post?

Go on to any detailed summary of draft needs for NFL teams and secondary is seen as a priority for virtually every team. There are probably only a handful of very good secondary units in the entire league and you will find a lot of them are underpinned by free agents like Gilmore, Ramsey etc. In summary, yes I suppose it is my opinion rather than anything that I can substantiate with hard draft data, but I think it’s fairly well accepted that many teams struggle with pass defence despite drafting secondary players regularly.

Either way, my initial point stands, they can’t keep building their entire secondary through free agency and trades (as many seem to suggest doing) without compromising other areas of the team. They got lucky with the Minkah trade in that they probably underpaid in terms of draft capital and he was available on a cost controlled deal for several years. Once he gets paid they’ll have to have some cheaper guys to play beside him. I understand you are not saying to never pick a DB again

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes I was considered Hilarious on another board when I said they would take Bud Dupree in the 1st pick also. It was cool.
    Made some money off it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Yea because they are so good at drafting corners that should work

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Now that Ben will be coming back they need a stud RB where Najee Harris would fit in nice. Then O Line in the 2nd.

Grab a FA center.

Corner? :smiley1: :lolol::roflmao::rolleyes: In the 1st? :roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    We are all scarred by the Artie Burns debacle, it was a desperation pick and they should never have selected him. That said, they have three guys in that secondary on rookie contracts, once they come off them the team won’t be able to fill both corner spots in free agency any more, it won’t be affordable.

Apart from Burns is their record at corner even that bad? Goldson was an injury bust, Sutton turned out ok, they developed Hilton well even though they didn’t draft him, he only ever played for the Steelers. Jury is out on Layne but he was picked at the end of the third, most of the top corners in the league are top 20 picks, should we really have been expecting a superstar there?

It’s not like Pittsburgh is a graveyard of first round corners that flamed out of the league. Who was the last corner they selected in the first before that? I can’t even remember. One bad pick and we give up on the position forever? Is that seriously what people think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s worse than you remember.

Going all the way back to 2010 draft:

Antonio Brooks S
    Justin Layne CB
    Terrell Edmunds S
    Marcus Allen S
    Cameron Sutton CB
    Brian Allen DB
    Artie Burns CB
    Sean Davis S
    Senquez Golson CB
    Doran Grant CB
    Gerod Holliman S
    Shaquille Richardson DB
    Shamarko Thomas DB
    Terry Hawthorne DB
    Terrance Frederick DB
    Curtis Brown DB
    Cortez Allen DB
    Crezdon Butler DB

Sutton and Edmunds are the best of the group. Brooks is too soon to say, Layne looking like a miss. Rest has been trash. Might have gotten something out of Curtis Brown, not sure on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Didn't Cortez Allen have one good season? He played well enough to get a 2nd contract IIRC.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but fell apart and was benched if IIRC. Either way, 1 season is not a successful draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Was talking about corners but fair enough, are we seriously counting mid and late round picks as busts? Anything after the third is a lottery ticket. Look at all the top corners in the league Blast, Ramsey, Humphrey, Alexander, Gilmore, Lattimore, White, Howard. All first rounders or early second. You have the odd outlier like Sherman beyond that that could be considered a top corner. It’s a position you have to invest in if you want good players. They have used a first round pick at corner once in twenty years with predictable results. It’s unfortunate that guy was a total disaster.

I’m not going to try to defend any of those guys, obviously that list doesn’t make good reading. I would say that if the team does not trust itself to draft players there it’s time to find some new scouts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree... 1 season is not a good draft pick. I don't understand why the Steelers extended him. Maybe because of Keenan Lewis bolting for the Saints? Lewis was probably the best CB Tomlin/Colbert has drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My only point was they haven’t done well drafting DB’s, regardless of round. I think it’s understandable for Steelers fans to be leery of drafting that position in the 1st which I think you and I are in agreement on.

Ah, yeah, that was it, Lewis went to the Saints and that was when Cortez was coming off his good season. I remember a lot of the talk was he got in his own head and couldn’t overcome it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Allen had a knee injury I think it was, he couldn't overcome it.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope they don't take a CB in the first round.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't say that I wanted them 2. I'm still not sold on what I want. Not that it matters. I said I think they will. Everyone that thinks this is funny. Remember after the draft. I have 5 reasons why I believe they will.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Most these guy aren't 1st rounders. I know you know that.
    Forget I wrote this. I jump it without reading farther on.
    Also don't think Sean Davis got a fair shake. I really dont like T. Edmunds.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Colbert confirms rebuild but Art says not so fast.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I never bought that " You know the way we draft corners ) So, we're never gonna draft a corner again...Just have to do your due diligence, and hope you hit it right

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Say what?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ci...s-coach-carnell-lake-says-team-wanted-william

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s hardly conclusive, Glenn. It’s from a guy on Steelers Depot that says “He basically said...” when asked to confirm what he reported. Plus he deleted his original tweet on it. I couldn’t find anything from Lake himself.

And who cares either way, they took Burns and he was a complete bust.

21. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Man I'd hate to be an NFL GM. Careers are so short in this league. It seems like it was only a few years ago when we had to rebuild our Oline.

• Like Like x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm not looking forward to the 2021 season. It's gonna be a trainwreck. Hopefully the trainwreck will be bad enough to yield the Steelers a top 10 pick in 2022.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hey it’s OK to be wrong once in a while. You’re not dealing with the analyst dude here. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say we draft some cheer leaders to cheer Ben on and give me a reason to watch late in the season ...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You don't have 2 watch, but you will. As will I, and everyone complaining here.

• Agree Agree x 1