1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brissett, Henne, or someone else?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hate to say it.
    But look at how the Eagles won their only Super Bowl.

The Defense carried them.
    The Run game was as important as the Defense.
    QB was nothing special, but didn't make the mistakes to lose.

Defense, Run game and a non-turnover machine QB will take you pretty far.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Exactly how Tampa did it this year too, Broncos 2015 the same. Pats always has a strong defence during their run, albeit they had Brady.

Problem is that it is virtually impossible for most teams to keep an elite defence together for more than 2-3 years because of the salary cap. The Steelers defence has already peaked in all likelihood, Haden, Heyward are getting on, Bud, Hilton hitting free agency etc. By the time the offence is decent again the Defence will probably have regressed back to average.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You gave no stipulations other than seemingly any QB who came from another team who won a SB or a team that acquired a QB and then won a SB. And if these teams still won championships despite them being safe QBs, what does that tell you?

4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Flacco was drafted by the Ravens.
    Winning the super bowl didn’t even make Dilfer a franchise QB.
    Brad Johnson was a journeyman QB. Think he played for several teams. Frankly, I think signing a vet as a transitional player in his mold may be worthwhile. See Brady and Manning.
    Warner is a stretch as he wasn’t drafted and was cut before the regular season from the packers in ‘94. Hardly played games such as all these QBs folks on here are salivating at signing such as Minshew and Brisett.
    Favre was 0-4 passing while appearing in 2 games for the Falcons in 1991. Again, hardly a worthy sample size. Brees started for several years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I typed my reply to the same post before scrolling down and reading yours. You hit the nail on the head.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The best option would be a 2 win season and the overall #1 draft pick in 2022 with MT being kicked to the curb. Since that would be highly unlikely, I think we are looking at several seasons of being slightly below average and a non playoff team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Shutouts do not exist in the NFL anymore. There might be one every four or five seasons but it is extremely rare.

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    2020: Jets, Lions, Chargers shutout.
    Also, a few teams with 3 points, one of them was Tampa- got blown out.

2021: Chargers and Lions on the schedule! Shut them out! Hahahahahahaha!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You're comparing Brady and Manning to Brad Johnson? Both of them only played for two teams where Johnson was on several I believe.

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    All three won a super bowl with a team they didn’t spent the majority of their career with. So, yes.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yet Ben is better now than 2 of them were when they won, and will be even better with another year after major surgery.
    Yet everyone wants him gone.
    Not saying you. I don't know where you stand on it.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What makes you think Ben is better than the 2 QBs when they won a SB? Can't be the Ben that I saw during the last half of the season. And what makes you think he will be even better after another year after surgery? Was it his elbow that kept him from going under center or is there more issues not being considered here? Ben came back in great shape this season and made all feel good to see that he was "back" including and especially me. By the end of the season, he didn't look even close to that. I don't see that changing being another year older. Everyone has a shelf life and in my opinion his is either expired, or razor close. What is the percentage of Qbs that play as many years as he has? I don't know the answer but assume it can't be that many and that leads me back to his shelf life.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. Shelf life has changed with the rules. So you can't go back 2 compare.
    2. With any injuries it takes time. I can see a newly repaired elbow getting worn out .
    3. I watch Ben every snap this year , and I'm comparing him 2 the other 2 cause I watched them play.
    P. Manning's 9 tds - 17ints his SB year. Compared 2 Ben's 33tds - 10ints don't even compare.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I want him gone because he has nothing left and we might as well move on now then delay it another year. But not sure what you mean by Ben being better than 2 of them were when they won.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Brady , Manning, and Johnson were named. I said, or meant Ben is better than 2 of them now, then they were when they won their last SB.
    Also you say he has nothing left is just you saying. Just like it's me saying he does. Your opinion ( not fact) . My opinion (not fact), but it's hard for me 2 believe a guy coming off major surgery
    ( most are not fully back until 2 years) that had 33tds - 10 ints is done. Yes his arm wore down. Again he just came off major surgery.

16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Did we watch a different Super Bowl? Their QB threw for 374 and 4 TDs, their defense gave up 505 yards passing and 33 points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1