1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert Confirms Rebuild...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    of the offensive line. Gotcha :lolol:

We could see a couple picks going just on tackles. Have to figure they will draft a center, too. I’m thinking a minimum of 3 offensive line picks this draft. I don’t expect much from FA beyond depth signings and Banner is probably the one they will bring back of their own.

Colbert:
    The tackles are unusually deep this year, so I think we can add players through the draft and hopefully we’ll be able to do some type of business in free agency and we’re always going to look at our own players first.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Resigning Banner takes some pressure off, at least for this year and depth. The C position is really unique, with a year or 2 exception we have had 4 guys there for 45 years, while no guarantees I think this is a position they look at from a long term perspective, you get that anchor and build the line from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Be very quiet, Art II says no rebuild on his team...

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    is this a secret? we are losing 4 guys off the line. banner may be re-signed but they haven't yet. pouncey, AV, feilier, banner to date. oh and backups isidora and hassenauer. so yea we will probably pick a couple. we have kept watson, coyle, leglue, jones and added collins. two of the current guys are only signed for this year, ( okrafor and DeCastro). dotson is the only guy signed past this year. :cool:

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would like them to sign him as long as he can pass the physical.

I feel a tackle or center will be taken in the 1st. They will look outside for a vet center to come in and start.

Right now Anthony Coyle OT, David DeCastro G, Dotson G/T, JC Hassenauer C, Jarron Jones OL, John Leglue OT, Chuks Okorafor OL,
    Brandon Walton OT are under contract for the 2021 season.

UFA: Matt Feiler G/T, Alejandro Villanueva OT, Zach Banner OT, Danny Isodora OL

RFA: Jerald Hawkins OT

Looks like DeCastro, Dotson and Okorafor will be starters. If Banner is cleared and signed I believe he will start. A vet FA center to start rounds out the O Line.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm starting 2 believe we will take a CB in the first.
    Call it a hunch. You heard it here 1st:dancing:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think corner, wr or LB is the pick.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There are a few ILBs that would be hard to pass up at #24. That position could also be a spot where we go down just a few to for someone who wants a QB. For instance, with Drew Brees retiring the Saints could be looking for a new QB. They sit there at 28. Mac Jones is still out there. The Falcons at 4 take DeVonta Smith at #4 or Penei Sewell. They still need to replace Matt Ryan. They slide up to 24 with the option of adding a QB to the room. That would be a pretty big move up, probably costing the Falcons next year's first round pick and their 2nd and maybe 3rd this year. It could be an opportunity to take some Olineman we wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to draft.

ILB I think might just be the best available player if we stay at 24.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they get a good cover corner at 1.24 I’d be delighted. It’s not an immediate need but it will be soon enough.

They have so many needs that they can’t really go too far wrong in terms of position, just pick a good player.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They’re all philosophy majors?

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Why is it not an immediate need? Teams are running 3 plus receivers 60% of the time these days. We are about to lose two corners. Two good corners. It's for sure a need. Just like a few other spots. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They will bring back one of Sutton or Hilton and I think they like Pierre too, maybe Layne can contribute more as well but he needs to improve obviously.

Im agreeing with you btw. A good corner is never going to be a bad pick. If nobody falls to them this year I think they can get by though.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope they don’t go corner in the first. They won’t take the one anyone has their sights on and will almost certainly miss on the pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They were taking William Jackson back in 2016 before the Bengals stole him from under their noses, he turned out ok. At some stage you have to try to develop your own guys. I said in another thread today that nearly all teams struggle to consistently draft DB’s, especially once you get past the middle of the first round. It’s the most difficult position to draft after QB

All going well with no trades they’ll have five picks in the first four rounds. In whatever order they need OLine, RB, LB (ILB & OLB, Corner, TE. Colbert always claims that they go BPA but we all know they don’t, but that should genuinely be the strategy this year.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    If there's an advantage to having a lot of holes to fill, it's that there's an increased likelihood of somebody's projected favorite at a given position falling to you :sneak:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on Bro. Think positive.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    With a better o-line rb may be more of a luxury pick early. Snell and mcfarland are good backs of they have holes. Asante Samuel jr. would be nice. I still like jean-charles later. He's a good corner. Both are.

cut Nelson and haden and draft those two with Pierre and layne and we can be like SF back in the day. :hehehe::cool:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s always just been speculation and doesn’t matter if they were going to take him, they took Burns and he was an awful pick. I don’t have a deep enough knowledge of other teams drafting to make a conclusion on how well they draft the position but I know where we stand and I would prefer they don’t go DB in the first. First rd picks are too important to miss on. I’d actually rather they continue filling that position via trades and FA.

I’m more a glass half full fan when it comes to this team but there are certain times I’m not and I have no confidence in them drafting this position. I’d rather see them go just about any other direction in the first than DB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We can't take a corner 1st round. We don't know how to pick corners and actually stink at it. Were better off other teams pick them and we poach them later, like Haden, Nelson, and Hilton.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We don't draft DBs well so I'd go with OL which is what our biggest need is. Prefer to pick D backs from other teams that have kicked the tires on them already. JMO>

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That seems to be the common view, get DB’s from other teams. It’s understandable given some of the misses, unfortunately it’s incredibly expensive to operate that way at a premium position. Once Minkah and TJ get paid it won’t be sustainable to keep bringing in high paid free agents across the entire secondary.

I keep making the point that virtually every team in the NFL struggles to draft that position. I’d agree that it’s probably not where they should be going in the first this year but I’d continue to try to pick guys with upside like Layne and Sutton in the middle to late rounds and see if they stick. They can’t give up drafting a position just because of a few misses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Based on what? Did you read a report on that or just your opinion, are you really that up on 31 other teams drafts to the point where can say they draft WR’s well but have a bad track record with DB’s like we can with the Steelers? Because that would be really impressive.

I’m not saying they should never draft a DB again in any round, just preferably not in the first, especially this year after not having a 1st rd pick last year.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but I still think they will. I think most of the time it's because they reach for Dbs, why we fail. Don't think they will have 2 this year.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I always roll my eyes when Colbert says we don't draft by need but best position available. And the best position available just happened to be an area of need? Wow what a coincidence! Although given the current situation this year I don't think that rationale is gonna fly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Got your eye on anyone specific?