1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any coach prepare worse for playoff games?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    2007 - Jax leads 28-10, rally comes up short
    2010 - Balt leads 21-7, Steelers rally to win
    2010 - GB leads 21-3, rally comes up short
    2011 - Den leads 20-6, rally comes up short
    2016 - NE slowly builds 36-9 lead, wins by 19
    2017 - Jax leads 28-7, rally comes up short
    2020 - Cleve leads 28-0, rally comes up short

That's a full 7 of Tomlin's 18 playoff games in which the Steelers were dominated from the jump before abandoning the game plan.

I recall the Steelers doing this three times under Tomlin - vs. the 8-8 Chargers sans LT, the Sanchez-led Jets, and the Matt Moore-led Dolphins. i.e., three games in which they were heavily favored.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin gets his share of the blame. But in all those games, the offense started slow and ofTen committed turnovers early. Mainly these ints or fumbles by Ben. Who should get a good share of blame as well.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This trend needs to stop, Art II better start to making
    people be accountable.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You said game plan........:roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Is this a trick question? We all know what is the problem and its been posted a zillion times and nothing will change until it does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say it is Coach T his staff and Ben .. Ben tells the staff what he will and won't run then he also tells them what he thinks will work best..Coach T and the staff allow this to happen instead of designing the correct attack for the specific Team...It's not just the playoffs it's the start of about every game..

We will never know if Coach T and his staff can actually prepare until Ben is gone ...I was a huge Tomlin fan , but he has showed numerous weaknesses as a Head Coach so he deserves a very short leash after Ben ....I would say 2 seasons at most with great improvements needed...First of all how we start the game 1st. Quarter scoring must go up...#2 short yardage conversion must go up ..#3 Overall running must go up both in game average and attempts as well as seasonal..

If Coach T can't improve in all 3 of these after Ben leaves then we need another HC ..

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seems to me the Jets’ coach failed to prepare by not making the playoffs.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    People on Facebook do TBT or, throw back Thursday. On here, I think it should be BUTF. Or, Beat up Tomlin Friday!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Sure, but the D never bails them out because they're flat, too. Even our punter was choking vs. Cleveland. The entire team looks flat, and then shellshocked, because they have no idea what hit them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Seeing the games laid out the way the OP did, It really is quite embarrassing. Ben deserves a lot of the blame as well, but when the ineptitude is that consistent, it falls on your Head Coach

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    And he is no longer HC.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I agree but not so much about the leash timeframe. I think we have seen all we're going to see with or without Ben. The fact that he was walked all over by one of his players tells me all I need to know about his leadership (or lack of) style. Doesn't matter at this point because I don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Sure, no question. Yup, Cle got a gift TD and short fields after Ints, but the D is allowed to hold them to FG or (gasp) get a turnover. Steelers punt to Cle in the early 4th Q, after getting within 12, and ‘the worlds greatest defense’, let’s them drive 80 yds for a TD.

Shell shocked is a good description. Too many times, this team seemed surprised that the other guys actually show up to play. Don’t they know we’re the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers!? Don’t they know the Browns is the Browns!? A little success and this team gets mighty full of itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough only reason for a short leash IMO is maybe he knows his mistakes and is willing to be more of a HC to correct them ? As stated I was a huge Tomlin guy , but now he is on thin ICE with that support...If they allow Ben back I would be fine with letting Ben and Coach T move on after the season...

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, lets see here. Two of the biggest causes for our embarrassing loss at home against the Stains were by veterans who were to valuable to play in the prior weeks game. I would argue this has been an ongoing example of how the team prepares to play on many occasions. I can see by our blowing Cleveland out the 1st game, then coming within a 2pt conversion of being tied with backups (in their house), they probably were shell shocked due to not being properly prepared.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I think Bill Cower is to blame because Ben is one of his players.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sean Payton and John Harbaugh both say "hold my beer". Mike McCarthy had Aaron and he did next to nothing after Super Bowl XLV. Heck, anyone see Pete Carroll lately?! For that matter, just before Andy Reid got Mahomes, he was not all that successful either. This whole notion that Mike Tomlin needs to surpass Bill Belichick needs to stop as the comparisons between the two are silly at this point.

Has Mike Tomlin under achieved?! Without a doubt. Have there been worse?! Most definitely.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The problem is the ownership doesn't recognize what many say about other sports as well. That the regular season and playoffs are entirely different and you have to prepare for them differently. Tomlin does just enough to win that regular season prize and sadly that's good enough it seems.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Right, same is true for other coaches as well

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's difficult to win in the regular season. It's even more difficult to win in the playoffs. It's even more difficult to win the Superbowl. No it must be that Tomlin sucks right? Never mind where the player mistakes that actually loss the games fall into the equation.

Since Tomlin became HC of the Steelers only two coaches (Belichick and Coughlin) helped their teams win multiple Superbowls. Only 5 HC coaches (Tomlin, Belichick, Carroll, Coughlin, Reid) helped their teams to reach 2 or more Superbowls.

Maybe some people will eventually reach the conclusion based on the data that it's extremely difficult to win in the NFL? I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Can you show me seven playoff games for all of the aforementioned coaches where they were just punched in the mouth from the jump? And really, in only one of those games (vs. NE) were they really outclassed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think you gave him 2 extra postseason games. He is 8-8 in 14 seasons here. 5 seasons he has completely missed the playoffs and another 5 seasons, he was 1 and done. In his 2 postseason appearances over the past 4 years, he has had the superior squad and favored to win but got beat in embarrassing fashion.

Tomlin is not a championship caliber coach and he pissed away the best years of a HOF QB's career. So get used to at least another 3 years of mediocrity when they extend his contract. But hey, at least he's never had a losing season and that is something for all the MT apologists to pathetically cling to.

BTW, I'm not saying you are an MT apologist. I agree with your assessment.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I guess you forgot about Andy Reid taking the Eagles to 3 straight NFCCG's. In 14 seasons in Philly, he was 19-10 in postseason. Our dude is 8-8 in 14 years and looks like a fart in a whirlwind in his last 2 playoff outings.

In Reid's last 4 seasons in Philly, he missed the playoffs twice and went 1 and done in the other 2. That got Andy Reid fired. Tomlin does the same thing in his past 4 seasons and he's probably going to get a 3 year extension as a result. But Rooney is too complacent and weak to do what needs to be done.

And before you hang all of Reid's success on Mahomes, which I agree has been a tremendous contributor over the past 4 seasons. But before Mahomes, Reid went to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and was 43-21 regular season in the first 4 seasons in KC without Mahomes. If you want to infer that Reid is as inept as Tomlin, you're not being realistic.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just imagine how competitive the NFL would be if all the "head coaches" on this board were actually coaching? Everybody would be undefeated!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    So that means no one can be critical of the coach and his poor showing? Didn't peg you for an MT apologist. Was I wrong?