1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Zach Banner be the Steelers starting left tackle in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 16, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well. Good luck 2 him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Why not, he won the RT job last year. By all accounts the talent was always there but his weight and conditioning was an issue. If he shows the same determination that he showed last year I would not bet against him.

That was a serious injury all the same for a big man like him to come back from. I wish him all the luck in the world, seems a genuinely good guy on and off the field.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would advise against him playing Left Tackle actually. While Zach Banner is a good Offensive Tackle, 6'9 vs 6'8 is not all that different in terms of leverage. That alone gives me pause despite having a great wingspan coupled with great Arm Length.

For me, Chuks is better served in that direction as he has the athleticism and better leverage to play that position. Furthermore, Banner's Power and Strength are better suited to the Right Side as opposed to the left. Add the fact that Chuks already has a full season under his belt as a full starter and I would rather the team have another open competition for the right to play Left Tackle than just handing the position over to a player.

Who knows how well Zach Banner will look after missing out an entire season?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Four teams in four years, only a handful of snaps as a starting tackle, coming off a serious injury. Better have a backup plan or three.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Two career starts and only play more than half the off snaps in a game once. He’ll be 28 on Christmas. He may turn out to be the next Orlando Pace, but his success hardly seems inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Very good points, if they can sign him to a reasonable 1-2 year deal it provides depth and opportunity, some guys come on late, or he becomes a career b/u...even if he performs decently as a b/u he seems like his teammates really like and respect him...these type of guys are a vital part of any team.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I figured all along he would be the guy.

Munch said lineman generally take 3 to 4 season to really get it. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if we should try to get Big Al back for LT?

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not sure he has the footwork for that side. Better see if he can handle the right side first for a season. :cool:

11. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Most emotional part of the season where he was ballin his eyes out after his injury.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It doesn't look like Tomlin's quote says WHICH OT he will be only that he will be a tackle, but let's also understand that this is a way to motivate the player. No one is handing him the starting RT job. He'll have to earn it.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not sold on Okorafor yet, I hope they bring Banner back but the knee is a concern. But its out with the old in with the new. Need a center in which I feel they will go the FA route unless there is one at #24 that can give 10 or so years. OL in the 1st or 2nd.