1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

nelson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 17, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    here is a thought. could they move nelson to the slot and find another #2 corner for the outside? nelson is known to be able to play the slot as well as outside. james pierre maybe? do i dare say layne finally gets a starter shot with pierre in the wings? asante samuaels in the draft at #1? it's not easy to find a slot corner. if you have one capable already would the #2 corner spot be easier to fill? think of it from colbert/ MT perspective. let's assume sutton and hilton move on which isn't out of the question knowing our cap space. what are your thoughts?:cool:

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Interesting and not something that has ever been brought up ro my knowledge. I just so not trust Layne from from what he has shown Would Nelson buy in? With a 14 million cap hit is it possible to cut and use that money for Cam or Hilton?

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelson is a solid #2 outside corner, that’s a valuable commodity, I wouldn’t be moving him personally. Id probably extend him or another couple of years within reason.

I’d bring Sutton back to play the slot and draft another CB along the way. Hilton will probably cost too much unfortunately.

The big question is Haden, he will be 32 shortly. I don’t think he will fall off a cliff if he loses a step because he never depended on elite speed, he has that knack of anticipating and being on the right spot etc. He may be able to go for another two seasons. He might get burned here and there by athletic WR’s but he could still be good for a while. If anything, maybe it’s Haden that should be moving to the slot at times, he is much more of a ball hawk than Nelson and it would minimise the risk of his lack of speed being exposed.

It would be incredibly helpful if one of Layne / Pierre took a step forward. They really like Pierre, and Layne is a converted WR possibly still learning at this level.

It’s a position where you need to keep drafting guys. Steelers get a hard time for misses at DB in the draft but the fact is it’s a tremendously difficult position to play and most of the guys drafted across the league don’t make it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Joe Haden started showing his age although in small portions last season. I fear he will again come 2021. This is why that Justin Layne has to pan out as him doing so frees up a lot more than just merely a draft pick in the future.

The talent and athleticism for Layne to succeed is already in place. The mental aspect still is not but he did showcase some improvement in 2020 when he was in limited action..... with some growing pains of course. Third year could be the charm for him as it was for Terrell Edmunds.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Indeed. I’m still hopeful it’ll click for Layne, he has everything you need in terms of physicality and athleticism and he definitely improved from year one to year two.

It was incredibly impressive that Pierre made the 53 last year. I don’t think we’ve seen enough to make any sort of judgement one way or another on him but there is at least a chance that they unearthed a gem.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 disagree. I usually agree with you alot, but T. Edmunds still sucks. 60% of all Tds against us for the last 2 years ...go back and look. He was , or was part of the problem. All that speed & size. Yet . He can't tackle, or cover. Geez. At least be good at something.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Like the idea of moving Joe to the slot. He's still quick enough for that and physical enough to be a reliable tackler. And to blitz as needed. Might as well find out whether Layne has any value.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Slot corners are much easier to find

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Really? How so? They have to have a much different skill set then a typical #1 or 2. :cool:

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The difference is Edmunds started/played in every game since his rookie season, almost every snap.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    nelson has played slot corner before in KC. that is much of the reason pittsburgh signed him because of his versatility. there are many articles about that. just like all the articles about slot corners becoming the new premium paid position in the league. those go back to 2016 even. so much harder to play that spot. more teams and top receivers doing much of their work from the slot. this isn't your fathers oldsmobile anymore. these guys aren't just the 3rd and 4th corner on the team because they are not starting on the outside. it's what makes hilton so valuable to us. we have one in house still, i think the move would be well warranted. :cool: