1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Mock Drafts Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 18, 2021.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm more and more on board with the thought of taking an impact ILB in the first round. If Williams goes, then I could totally see this happening.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Feel he will go early 2nd

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If there's a good LT on the board at #24 they should take him, they can get a center in round 2 or 3.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    In light of my post above, not being able to sleep tonight I have been running mocks. It should allow my brain to slow down and maybe the stress of the day will go away and I can sleep.

Here are my results:

24: R1 P24 LB Zaven Collins - Tulsa - Not sure what to think here, but he was the top rated player left at our pick. I couldn't NOT take him.

55: R2 P23 TE Pat Freirmuth - Penn State - Again, I have no idea how he fell this far. Getting an impact TE in round 2. I think he's going to be a good one.

87: R3 P23 S Ar’Darius Washington - TCU - Another guy whose tape I like. Will both push Edmunds and provide great depth.

128: R4 P23 RB Trey Sermon - Ohio State - Here is our new RB. Can't believe he falls to the 4th, but what can I say.

141: R4 P36 C Trey Hill - Georgia - Here is our starting replacement for Pouncey. I also think he may be better suited at G long term. I am assuming our starter comes as UFA here. He can train a year and be ready when DeCastro retires.

217: R6 P31 OT Calvin Ashley - Florida A&M - Here is a former 5 star who never really reached his potential. A complete flyer here at a position of need.

244: R7 P18 CB Rachad Wildgoose Jr. - Wisconsin - I have not even watched this kid play or even his highlights. At this point, it was WR, CB, QB, Edge, or DL. I think we can wait on QB, Edge and DL and Rachad was highest guy on the board. There was a WR above him, but the scouting report on the 5'8" guy who was best used just like RayRay didn't light my fire.

253: R7 P27 WR Isaiah McKoy - Kent State - Impact player at a MAC school. A WR. Big guy. Big plays. Never watched tape, but why not.

No QB taken...I'm okay with that unless he is a clear upgrade to the 2 projects we already have. Its either an impact guy or we live with what we got IMO.

No Edge taken....this bothered me, but I hope with adding a guy like Collins, you can move him and Bush around. Allow Williams or Spillane to take some ILB snaps and move them outside to put them in the position to succeed.

No DL taken.....Again, by the time I got this far down in the draft, who was there to be taken that is better than Davis or Buggs. Who would be the upgrade? There were some earlier, but I felt like I was still filling more pressing needs up until round 7, so we live with what we have.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like the top half of those picks, never heard of the guys in the later rounds.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    1) Zaven Collins, LB- The MAC linebacker we need. Fills the one big hole in our defense in a big way. I don't believe we go tackle in the first. Our coaching staff sees us as having two starting caliber tackles. Also considered Harris and Etienne. Possible that Parsons falls to here, because it's coming out that he's a bit of a dick.

2) Trey Hill, C- Feel that round 2 is where the value is at for center, and while I seriously considered Landon Dickerson, it's hard to take someone who has managed 4 season ending injuries in his college career. Hill is a great run blocker and a good pass protector, but he does let off an occasional Pouncey-esque snap. Also considered Dickerson, Myers, and Humphrey.

3) Kenneth Gainwell, RB- Only falls to here because he sat out the year after losing 4 family members to Covid. 6.3 yds/carry as a sophomore. Rhomondre Stevenson is a good possiblity if we want to go with a larger, more downhill runner. If we go RB in the first, here I take Chazz Surrat.

4A) Brady Christianson, T- Good edge blocker for BYU. Needs to get stronger, but will have the ability to develop as the swing tackle this year.

4B) Hunter Long, TE- Good blocking Y-type tight end.

6A) Thomas Graham Jr., CB- Good coverage corner, but limited to slot corner, which is, fortunately, what we need.

6B) Tariq Thompson, S- Played better as a Junior than a Senior. Which is why he's here.

7A) Taron Jackson, OLB- Small school OLB with a nose for the QB.

7B) Max Duffy, P- Because you know we need one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1 (24) Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan - good mover, not a lot of games played but its a weird year

2 (55) Michael Carter RB UNC - good compliment to Benny Snell's thunder

3 (82) trade 87 and 6th rounder to move up 5 spots Dylan Moses LB Alabama

4 (129) Dazz Newsome WR UNC - slot WR to replace the departed JuJu

4 (141) Sadarius Hutcherson IOL South Carolina - some experience moving around the line which is always valuable

6 (216) traded

7 (246) Caden Sterns S Texas - FS prospect where there is little depth

7(255) Luke Ferrell TE OSU - finally a TE who can block to replace the retired Vanimal

IOL BJ Finney, WR John Brown, DB Cam Sutton, TE Jesse James - I think Sutton is retained and they sign some familiar faces.

• Like Like x 2
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I posted in another thread ILB Zaven Collins would be my choice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Moats did one

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell to the yeah for the first 3 picks. Don’t know much about the rest but I’d taKe this on the top three alone.

Edit: It dragged another tweet into it, was referring to the bottom one but both are good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Here’s what I have with Haeg, Steven Nelson and Smith-Schuster news:

R1 Alijah Vera-Tucker OT
    R2 Pat Freiermuth. TE
    R3 Ifeati Melifonwu. CB
    R4 Chuba Hubbard RB
    R4 Daelin Hayes. EDGE
    R6 Tamorrion Terry. WR
    R7 Pooka Williams. RB
    R7 DiCaprio Bootle. CB

I wouldn’t normally have double-dipped at RB, but Pooka Williams is an impossible “no” in the 7th round. His film has a second round grade from me.

Tony Poljan was also there in the 7th and had briefly considered a TE double dip.

We need more than one lineman - but some of these guys were BPA. Bootle is a guy similar to Hilton.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  12. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    I really like the one Moats did. He however very badly missed TE

13. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    Newsome was a guy I mocked to PITT everytime in the last couple of weeks, but with the surprising Smith-Schuster news, I stopped that for now. If he slips to 6th round, I think he’s a no-brainer

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to draft him just for the name.

15. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    I assume you were also rooting for Morehead State to play Oral Roberts in the final four? Or am I projecting?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

love the top half...…..….. as for the bottom, I would be extremely excited to see wildgoose in black and gold ….. SS by trade with the ability to play emergency cb………. would be an immediate fan favorite one he is seen

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming the team brings the house to USC's Pro Day, which is March 24th this week, I do not foresee Alijah Vera Tucker on the team. In order for a player to become a Round One selection under Tomlin, both Tomlin and Kevin Colbert have to be at that players Pro Day. Currently speaking, only Etienne, Stokes and possibly Campbell are on the radar at this time. That said, this is likely to change yet again come tomorrow as the team will likely bring the house to Alabama's Pro Day.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pretty much every player I was interested in at a given point was already gone.

03F64DFB-A1E4-469F-9694-DE0A5C6E59A8.jpeg

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I saw where Harris won't workout at Bama pro day, that would be disappointing if true, especially if Tomlin and Colbert show up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015

Walker Little in the 4th is good value

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would not worry about that too much. I am more interested in which position coach the team brings in along with the likely appearances of Tomlin and Colbert. That would tell me quite a bit on who else they may be looking for in addition to Alex Leatherwood.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes I was shocked by the JuJu signing as well. Heck I had him already gone as shown by my comment. But its only a one year deal and Dazz Newsome would be a great addition to the room. Ran a lot of pre-snap motion in college so would fit in well with being a Canada type guy. Loves to block, so big bonus points from me. They better be at UNC pro day. RB Michael Carter is a Canada type guy too imo.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    more then chubba hubbard? :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  24. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    Right, I think he checks all the boxes for what Pitt looks for in their WRs. The blocking is an underrated point. I think if we draft a receiver in the first 4 rounds, he’s the most likely. But I doubt we do. I like Tamorrion Terry in later rounds (he’s always there in mocks) but he is a deep threat

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    zaven collins goes top 20 easy. He won't be there

• Disagree Disagree x 1