1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know anything about building on a flood plain?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Marvology, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    So, looking at some land but there's just not quite enough space to build a house without a 1/3 of it being on a flood plain. But, the creek behind the house is really small.

I love the location and I'd intend on this being my "forever house," but I hear horror stories about trying to sell a house on a flood plain (you never know what's going to happen in life).

It's rural land, so hoping I can get a variance on the setback to build in a safe spot.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All I know is where I use to live. A guy came in and bought some property in that type of terrain. People tried telling him not 2 build there. He said he knew what he was doing. He would take every precaution. I know he built the land up , built the banks of the creek up behind the house, and took precautions he said he would. He built a very nice house. 3 years later he moved out cause he couldn't keep it from flooding. That was about 30 years ago. The house still sits there in big time disrepair. I'm sure it can be done, but at what cost? I hope we are talking the same thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know about building but, would you be able to get insurance?

4. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yeah, there are different ratings for flood areas I think FEMA sets the standards. The house would be on the edge of a "100 year flood" plain. Insurance isn't even really all that bad I'm learning, I got quoted $400/year for where I'd build. Still doing research, if I lost the deck I could build completely outside of the flood plain.

Man, I've learned a hell of a lot the last few days. Some counties have AIMS maps that let you see your flood zones as Google maps overlays. Pretty amazing stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The world is full of disaster prone areas - hard to completely escape floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, forest/brush fires, subsidence, erosion, radon, zombie apocalypse, civil unrest etc etc. The key to building anywhere is to exceed the codes as much as your budget allows for. I was part of a small housing development team out here in the Mojave Desert in the early 2000's and believe it or not there are flood plains all over the place. While it doesn't rain much, when it does rain, it usually flash floods. We had to move a lot of soil around to build the home foundations up (concrete slabs) in order to stay above projected 100 Year Flood levels. It added costs but the land was fairly cheap and it all worked out OK. We've had many huge deluges since then and I don't think there has been a flooding problem with any of the homes. A nearby year round river/creek is different so you should seek professional guidance from designers of other nearby homes. Best of luck Marv - sounds like a wonderful quest. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, YOU'RE the one responsible for the overbuilding in Victorville/Hesperia!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I live about a quarter mile from the Mississippi River, or a couple of feet from it when the river is up. My grandfather, a farmer, lived in the Mississippi River flood plains his entire life. When it would flood, he would move the family upstairs, and would take his boat to where he left his vehicle. The great flood of 1993, the river was a couple of feet from the top of the levee. The most nervous I ever saw my grandfather in regards to a flood. The levee broke about two miles south of us. The flood moved south and flooded the whole town of Valmeyer, which later relocated on the top of a bluff.

https://www.ksdk.com/video/news/history/flood-of-93-revisiting-the-iconic-valmeyer-farm/63-8201325

• Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Guilty as charged but it was Pinion Hills and we were limited to 1 unit per 2 1/2 acres, not exactly over-crowding as is the case in the urban jungles or Victorville for that matter. When I bought my modest cabin in Phelan in 2002, the closest house was 1/2 mile away, very quiet and peaceful. Within a few years big spec homes were built on 3 sides of me with horses and plenty of barking dogs with owners who never cared nor intervened. My supply of air horns multiplied. They finally got it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1