1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maurkice Pouncey, brother Mike to officially retire

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I love Vince but with Bush coming back and presumably another ILB in the draft he is too expensive. I’d cut him but if he wants to come back for near vet minimum as an early down / situational / depth player then great, he would be welcome.

I have an irrational dislike of Ebron. He is a good player but too many drops and ridiculous penalties. They need to draft somebody there, and there are some intriguing TE’s hitting free agency. Jared Cook or Gerald Everett, maybe even Zach Ertz. I know a lot of people like Ebron but I was done with him when he checked out of that goal line block in the Washington game to prevent a Snell TD. They needed the score and his effort was pathetic

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hustle and running around with little production isn't what makes a good LB. i've got nothing against vince as a backup but he makes too much for that. good linebackers , especially starting ones average around 100 tackles a year or more. vinces best year ever he got 89. he has never forced a fumble in his career either. his big year was 4 years ago. since then he has had 76, 55, 70 tackles. 4 years ago he had 8 sacks, since he has had 10 in 3 years. we pay him over 7 million dollars this year. sorry, not worth the price. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd love robert tonyan from GB. don't know what he would cost but he's a keeper. probably what GB thinks as well. i agree, never was a big ebron fan. :cool:

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m afraid we don’t have enough draft picks for all our needs.
    IMO first three rounds need to be OL, TE and RB. Not necessarily in that order. Don’t know how good of an ILB we can find in the middle to latter rounds of the draft?

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ebron was a touchdown machine with Indianapolis. But that never materialized here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    True, there was talk of Edmunds moving to a coverage LB role eventually but it never happened. It’s seems to always be a problem position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree that we don't have enough picks for our needs. Which is why I think we need to fill some holes with cheap FAs as stop gaps until next year and fill the rest with draft picks. I'm not opposed to moving out of the first to grab an extra #2 and #3. Or using the comp picks we have to get an extra #3. Ultimately this is why I'm opposed to kicking cap space down the road. Shred the prunes and start anew. It'll be a long and dark road.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah, but when cutting players to save money like Vince Williams (as @mac daddyo suggested) and replacing them with a free agent unless it’s a significant upgrade can cost you more.
    Williams has a cap hit of 7 million. If you cut him it saves you 4 million. Not sure you’re going to get a better player for 4 million. More than likely you’re just going to get an equivalent or less for that price and if that’s all you’re going to get might as well keep Williams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you have to ask will they be a starter. Center? Yes. TE? Probably not if ebron is still here. RB? I doubt it with McFarland and Snell and if they keep samuels. So no need to make them that high of a pick. Bush and Gilbert if they keep him and sign Spillane for less then Vince make him expendable with the addition of a draft pick. We have 5 picks in the first 140 picks. That could get us a qb, center, ilb, TE and rb. Vince was a sixth rounder. :cool:

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can be sure of this...never mind.

What's the difference if we got bounce in any round if you don't win the SB. You do know only one team can win a SB a year. As 2 your you believe we should have won a handful of SB. Lot of fans around the U.S. believe that about their teams . Just cause YOU believe it don't make it so.
    At least you got a chance if you go 2 the playoffs. Also you said . Your words.
    W ould you call that successful. I responded. So nobody , but Tampa was successful . How in the F**k is that twisting your words ?

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    i understand.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This is exactly what the Steelers will do - "fill" every hole with a Jon Bostic/Donte Moncrief type, draft one at each position of need, and declare all of their problems solved to a nodding fan base and local media.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If your realistic preseason goal was to win a Super Bowl and you did not, you failed.

That wasn't every team's realistic preseason goal.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You're just pushing the bandaid rip off a couple years. I'd rather let all those old guys walk and take the hit in 2021.

We're not winning a Super Bowl with a Lite version of the 2020 team and the toughest schedule in the league.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The rip will be less when the cap goes back up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s not irrational...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with previous posters who said Pouncey was great but faded quickly the last two seasons. Kind of like Troy P.

I genuinely think we beat Green Bay in the Super Bowl if Pouncey was healthy.

My fear now is that we’re left with a Hartwig/Mahan esque stopgap for a few seasons...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Financially, yes, but you're just adding non-Super Bowl years to the current "core". Rebuild around the young talent on the team and compete in 2-3 seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pouncey was a great player he will be missed. I also don't think he sucked last year. He just didn't play as good as he has been, and the snap being off in the playoff game was a fluke. Usually he's on the spot. Can't judge one bad game for a career.

I would be perfectly ok with the steelers picking up two to three offensive lineman in this draft. The entire line needs work.

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I agree, and I think we are on the same page but you still have to put a somewhat capable team together so that you are not humiliated week in week out next season.

Again, I was just laying out the options to clear up room, I would not do all of what I wrote at all, I’d do something that falls in the middle.

My preference would be to move on from Ben because I think the window has closed with him at QB, that’s the biggest single move they can make. I wouldn’t mind pushing a bit of money down the road on guys you are probably going to keep for another while then, Nelson, Tuitt, maybe Haden depending on how they feel about Pierre / Layne. Whatever it takes to bring back Sutton and Hilton and grab a FA Center

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Cannot give you a direct number, but there were quite a few bad snaps last year from Pouncey, no one is perfect but there were some games where several times in a row the snaps were high and low affecting timing and flow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I didn't see them. The Browns game was horrid and I did see those. Keep in mind the percentage of plays played from the shotgun.

Either way Pouncey was a part of this team starting out undefeated. So I give respect when it's due.

I don't think he was as bad as many are making out this year. He just wasn't all pro Pouncey we're used to seeing

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Granted all you said, plus dealing with a depleted line and DD not playing well just highlights even the smallest break downs of individual play.

24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Pouncey’s snaps have been erratic for 2-3 years. Last year I put it down to the chopping and changing at QB throwing him off but it continued in to this season.

That first snap in the Browns games is the worst one I’ve seen however. What a disaster that was, albeit Ben or Conner should have recovered it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... Webster, Dawson and Pouncey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1