1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Steelers signing on with new coaching spots (yawn)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Feb 11, 2021.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nothing too exciting in this very slow and boring post SB week but here's some minutia news:

1. Detroit Lions hired Antwaan Randle El to be their new wide receivers coach after being an assistant on Arians’ staff in Tampa Bay. As a Pittsburgh Steeler, Antwaan Randle El certainly had at least one memorable moment at Detroit’s Ford Field.

Randle El’s pass to Hines Ward in SB XL on Feb. 5, 2006 voted #80 of top 100 all time best SB plays.

2. Also, former Steelers quarterback Tee Martin landed a wide receivers coaching job with the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Perfect for the Ravens. LoL:facepalm: A non accurate Qb teaching WRs how 2 catch balls from a non accurate Qb

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Happy for those guys. Also happy for Byron Leftwich, who has become quite the OC in TB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    With Tee throwing balls in practice, the Ravens receivers will definitely get a chance to work on their hops.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Tee Martin? Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we seem to get those who can't do or teach. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tom Brady will make you look good. How did boy kid whiz wonder Josh McDaniels do last year in New England with no Brady?

Not too good when your stuck with Fig Newton.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I always liked Randal El. Not just for his play, but also when he used to do his player introductions.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Larry Foote also got a SB ring as the Buccaneers' OLB coach

• Like Like x 3
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Come on Mac, I remember on the original board some one crying that Tee never got the chance to prove what he could do, and of course would be the next Steeler 'Len Dawson, Johnny U, Marino" cast off/non-draft mistake. I mean he did go to the Europe League World Bowl on year, just think of the possibilities if we would have given him the chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Steelrules

May 12, 2013
    When we drafted Tee Martin, we took the best player available :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You never know with the draft what kind of player you're getting. Tee played understudy to Peyton Manning at the University of TN and he won the national championship at TN in 1998. That obviously didn't translate to being an NFL standout.

Tee was coaching WRs here at UT under Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt and his entire staff and program were an absolute joke. Tee was probably one of the better coaches on his staff but that ain't saying much. Pruitt got bounced for cause and left behind a nasty NCAA investigation with some very likely tier 1 violations that will hamper an already crappy program for years. Tee was right in the middle of that UT sh!tshow for the past 3 years and couldn't manage to salvage a job under the new (reach...) HC Josh Heupel. Tee already got bounced from USC in a similar role. The NFL was the only place he could go to coach as his college track record isn't very good and being part of recruiting nightmares (McDonald's bags full of cash being handed to recruits) isn't a good look for a college HC or AD trying to build a program. BTW, Pruitt also landed in the NFL at the Giants.

Anyways, Tee is a fan favorite here in Knoxville because he helped deliver a natty 23 years ago, which was the last time UT vols football was relevant. Emotional connections don't win games though. Sorry to be hard on the guy, but the results haven't been that good.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Pats sucked big time during Brady’s last year there too to be fair. They have no receivers, that’s why he left

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As a Razorbacks fan. I remember all that. Also remember when Tennessee was feared. Long time ago. :dancing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly I wouldn't go tooting the horn on BL just yet. At best he can probably show you how to not play QB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Isn't he a glorified OC since its Arians system and i thought Arians Calls the plays (not to mention having Brady as your QB).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Bucs offense was pretty successful even before Brady got there. I can't fault Leftwich for Winston throwing 30 pics.

Pretty sure Leftwich calls the plays, although I'm sure BA takes over when hes fit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ARE has a better QBR than TM. Maybe he should have been the QB coach :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Every OC is great when Tom Brady is the QB.

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    AND their All Pro RT wants traded because he only wants to play LT

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelrules

May 12, 2013
    The same comment with Arians applies to Leftwich. They didn't win squat with Jameis Winston as QB.

22. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018
    First of all, I was at UT when Tee was and knew him personally. He did nothing but chase tail. The guy could run a little bit and throw the deep ball, and that’s it. I’m also connected to people in the know and Tee spent more time hanging out with the players than coaching while back at UT, which is why he didn’t get a job on Heupel’s staff. Tee has a lot of issues IMO but won’t go into them here.

• Like Like x 1