1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers offense easiest to prepare for.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 9, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No. That’s just a saying that someone came up with and people try and pass it off as the definition of insanity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think people have different perceptions ..Throwing it on a line is not a great Deep Ball guy to me .. The less air the more perfect the throw has to be ..So has Ben made some perfect throws deep over his career ? He sure has , but I don't consider that as a great Deep Ball guy...The older he gets the less chance of a perfect Ball look at the clip in this thread , he needs to put more Air and trust his WR'S ...

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. Lot of guys can't throw on a rope, and right now neither can he(Ben). Lots of QBs don't want 2 put alot of air under it unless a guys wide open , cause it gives the Defender time 2 get there. Also as far as clips, if you go look , you can find clips for days of Ben delivering Dimes on the deep ball. Just Not That Much This Year.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yes...I didn't mean literal insanity. It's a figure of speech. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    And how did that turn out for Miami? Does their game prep give better results?

Defensive rankings (points/yards) for 2018, 2019, and 2020
    Pittsburgh 16/6 , 5/5, 3/3
    Miami 27/29, 32/20, 6/20

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Miami were in firesale mode at the time and were not a good team. Steelers were fielding ten first round picks on D and already had Watt, Heyward, Tuitt, Haden when Minkah joined. There is simply no comparing the personnel, Steelers had invested more in their defence than probably anybody in the league.

The point I was making is that it illustrates a lack of attention to detail on the part of the defensive coaches. Brian Baldinger who was conducting the interview was stunned when Minkah said it.

Im not a coach and I have no way to quantify how that effects results but I just thought it was worth a mention.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think one of the things I took from the SB was the talk of how they changed the O after the bye week. BA was trying to force things, Brady was uncomfortable in that type of O, so the word was simplify and do what we do best. The key was change and compromise. The crap show we saw this year was based on a lot of shortcomings, but there was no real effort to make changes. There were a few games when it looked like the run game could at least show some spark, bur was abandoned for the same pass your ass off stuff. The no huddle Ben stuff works at times, but you cannot build a whole game plan around backyard FB. It pains me to say this, but I really do not want Ben back, I felt they kept Troy a year to long and his play on the field showed that. Time to retool, eat the financial cap costs this year and use the money you do have to try and keep the young FA talent you can, draft and build from with in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You're right, Ben hasn't hit the long ball consistently since the Wallace and Arians influence.

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    A lot of people were running their mouths all the way up to when we were 11-0. Where were you?

"Worst 11-0 team ever."

"Smoke and mirrors team fat off an easy schedule who barely beat horrible teams."

I bristled at those comments as the season was going, but guess what? They were right. Yeah, our defense took some severe hits with injuries. But our offense was never great and only got worse as the season progressed. And those comments do not surprise me. AT. ALL. JFC, EVERYONE knew how to stop the Steelers offense. A high school team could've done it size, strength and speed not coming into account. WE made it easy on them. No push on the o-line, nor any real commitment to even try to establish a running game. Only a few token attempts to go downfield. ZERO play action. And keep everything within 5-6 yards. Hell, you could keep 8 men in the box and that actually HELPED your pass defense!!

How much of that was on Fichtner vs. Ben (and his alleged physical inability to play under center)? IDK. But the results CLEARLY spoke for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That's not quite true - there's an interesting table in this article, about halfway down.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/s...2020-deep-pass-stats-on-par-with-2018-season/

The key quote for me is this:

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-deep-passing
    That's is just one of many rankings. If you bother 2 look. This year you are correct about the deep ball( coming off major surgery). Be4 that . Complete wrong. I have not found one rating were he is not at least top 5 deep ball thrower until after the surgery. Here is another.
    https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2713730-nfl-1000-ranking-the-best-deep-throwers.amp.html

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I thought. LOL
    I mean I get it if you don't like the guy, or think he's done, but 2 make up stuff.
    For instance. He was never good at the deep ball. LoL . He has always been considered a great deep ball passer.
    That's why I had 2 go get proof in the post be4.^^^^^^

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :wave:

I was one of those people who said "worst 11-0 team ever." I saw the inevitable collapse coming after the 2nd Ravens game.

After that game, Steelers had only one good half of play vs. the Colts. The rest was garbage.... not counting Browns game with Rudolph, who had to play with 3rd stringers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I see you like to make stuff up. I never said that Ben was not a deep ball thrower, I referenced consistency. Arians was a deep ball calling OC, then Haley came in and The Steelers went to more Dink and Dunk offense, less deep ball plays. They had more deep ball guys in the Arians years because that's what worked.

BTW, I have always defended Ben when he was good and critiqued him when Bad Ben showed up. Try to call it as I see it.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...ad-the-most-success-with-long-throws-in-2018/

Here is a list and while Ben had the TD'S he didn't rank near the top in completion percentage ...I am still looking for Deep Ball PI calls , I don't think he will be top 10 there either..But my eye test tells me the guys on that list put more air under it than Ben and I bet they draw more PI calls as well....I will keep digging..

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think the point is that Steelers success is all based on talent and individual effort. Brute force if you will. If the coaching staff was worth a damn and could actually scheme to exploit the talent, prepare for the specific opponent, and adjust to what the opossition was doing. Situational football and making adjustments has never been a strong suit of Tomlin and his coaching staff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I agree with that. It was pretty much "Here we are, now you have to beat us!" Which is fine to an extent, but you have to give a lot of credit to the teams, and yes Bill Belichick, who added a new wrinkle to the defense every week depending on who they played. I don't recall at time over the past few years where someone said "the Steelers defense exposed them now. Everybody is going to be doing it now." In our case it seems our offense has been the one exposed and we could never adapt after that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I used u as wrong Quote. I don't make nothing up. I meant 2 use the Quote you were answering 2. Yet still I make nothing up. Besides music. LoL

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So. I gave you 2 list. Both had him in Top 5. I could, if I wanted 2 waste my time, find you more, but you would still say ....Wrong.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Simple he looks to throw it on a line instead of putting Air under it to me..IMO the best way to be more accurate and to draw more PI calls is with more Air.. I never said you was wrong I just don't think he has ever been that accurate and I can't see the accuracy getting better unless his OC and QB Coach tell him to put more air under it...

I have another strong point the more Air he puts the less time he has to hang onto the Football ,this helps his OL and it allows his WR'S to make in air adjustments all of which is better for a aging QB ...

I would Love to see his release time on deep throws and his trajectory compared to other NFL QB'S ...

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Keep moving the goal post. You said he was never a good deep ball passer . ( Your words) I gave you 2 list that said he was a Top 5 deep ball passer, and could have given you more. Now its something else.
    Never mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry if I wasn't clear I always meant the way he throws it and not putting air under it...Not moving the bar just adding to my original point...

• Like Like x 1
  23. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    The level of play was bad for the 11 wins. We ran the same offense game 1 and game 12. It just took the league that long to figure it out. And our defense was playing at a high level that kept us in games. You can't tell me that on opening day Tomlin and Co. didn't know Ben's knees were shot and that his arm wasn't live. And they knew it after 4, 8, and 12 games as well. Tomlin just looked out of one squinted eye for the season, hoping that things would go his way. And I stress "hoping." He doesn't coach. He rolls the dice and hopes things go well. He can't gameplan or prepare for opponents on a weekly basis. He just goes in blindly, with fingers crossed.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And they still averaged over 24 points the first half of the season, even if it was predictable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Which puts us middle of the pack. In today's NFL, that's not getting it done. Defense may still win championships. But offense gets you there.

And let's be honest with ourselves. We DID play a lot of bottom feeders. Between that, and our defense playing lights out for most of the first 10-12 games, our offense should have put up more points. Wins are wins. No denying that. But the writing was on the wall. We all just refused to read it.

Next season, the competition will be much stiffer. Something has to change drastically. I'm not worried about our defense (just hoping against hope we can avoid so many injuries). Our offense needs to make huge strides if we want any chance at sniffing a SB again.

• Like Like x 2