1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did the Steelers fire Arians?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Feb 8, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's true with every team. Hell mid season Ravens fans wanted Greg Roman fired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What participation ribbons are you referring to?

3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    The ones that he gets every year for winning regular season games. You know, "Tomlin's record is amazing! He's obviously an awesome coach! He needs to be praised for his accomplishments!" He gets credit for basically achieving nothing. To me, that's a participation ribbon.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure I’ve seen much of those comments, but that’s just me.

Ive seen his record raised when people make claims like “Tomlin’s absolutely terrible” etc

Starting the season 11-0 deserves credit. Finishing the season the way we did deserves criticism. Not sure where the participation trophies fit in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well that's not a participation ribbon/trophy. Winning is actually an accomplishment. Just showing up and everyone getting a trophy would be a participation trophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participation_trophy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Yes, you're right. By definition, there have been no participation ribbons handed to Tomlin. I apologize for reaching. My point is that Tomlin gets credit for showing up and not actually accomplishing anything. The "credit" he receives for winning lots of regular season games and losing when it counts is what I'm loosely referring to as a "participation ribbon."

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Arians got let go because they felt he was too friendly with Ben and someone had to be the sacrifice for losing to the Tim Tebow led Broncos in the playoffs in a 1st round exit

8. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin never won coach of the year. In 2008 Mike Smith won coach of the year.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Troll alert, if you're a real Steelers fan, you would know Art II fired Arians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Arians couldn't win anything until he got Brady

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin won Motorola coach of the year.

Smith won a different one.

I don’t pretend to understand.

12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I was never a Brady fan, but I do admire his skills. He won in NE with a bunch of scrubs. I’m sure he would have won with AB, Bell, Bryant and the OL we had a few years ago

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    When Arians was let go I recall the issue being the running game. They thought we were too one dimensional . 4 years with Arians we were in the middle of the pack in rushing yards per game. The offense had evolved into a deep ball offense that made it difficult for the O-line to protect Ben.

You cannot truly criticize Arians job in Pittsburgh without understanding how the team was actually ran during those years. Was Bruce allowed to actually run the offense? How much control did Tomlin and others have on the offense? With out knowing any of this no one here can really say if he did a good job or not. In hindsight it does look like Arians was a better coach then we all thought. I will say those Arians offenses looked much more prepared then we do now. The contrast in preparation the WR's and RB's needed then vs now is stark. We can't execute the simplest of plays now. Us running a screen now is often laughable. Arians teams could do it in their sleep.

I do find it interesting that after letting Arians go Mr Rooney commented that the running game was a problem. Since Arians left our running game has actually gotten worse. The one dimensional offense is still a problem... I'd say actually worse. Arians had more talent to work with of course but there remains a constant theme with this offense.... so I think it's fair to question if Mike Tomlin is the problem. After leaving, Arians teams excelled offensively. Did Bruce "learn" from his mistakes in Pittsburgh and change his ways? OR did Bruce finally get a shot at running his offenses the way he wanted?

It's funny to me watching Tampa and AZ run Arians offense... we still run alot of those plays now but it seems like we don't exploit weaknesses now like Tampa does. We don't run the right play sequences vs the opponents we face. Tampa clearly attacks opponents defensive weaknesses. They make you pick your poison and then gouge you with the running game. When tampa has a lead in the 2nd half...good luck. It's over. Bruce knows how to manage a game and they are prepared. The contrast in preparation is shocking vs our offense now. We merely force our will on opponents vs exploiting weaknesses.

We seem to have little strategy in our game planning other than running the style we want to run. Which is short quick passes. Our passing game is also our running game. The issue we had the past couple seasons was our inability to complete deep balls. We forced defenses to crowd the LOS... this did 2 things...#1 killed our running game #2 opened things up deep. Problem was we couldn't execute the deep balls. WR talent, ben's arm, and the O-line all shared in that failure. The obvious question is why did Tomlin think this was a good plan in the first place? The problems were going to be obvious.

I'll also point out one glaring thing IMO... Our offense looks it's best when Ben takes over the play calling. Ben goes to Bruce's offense, it's were he's most comfortable. He takes more time and reads the field. Sure he might get more pressure but we moved the ball when Ben opened things up. IMO the answer to Ben's age was not run the dink and dunk...the answer should have been get a better O-line and run a balanced offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That still happens. Ben does this.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 be fair. Our D, and wrong time injuries let us down few years ago. We lost , Bell, his backup, DeAngelo Williams , and Ab( he was also our punt returner)in that one short time.

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    In other words, Arians won with Dirk Koetter's players.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    When Bruce was our OC my biggest gripe was we were always trying to drive the car 100 mph. Even when it made sense to slow down or run a high % play we didn't. The execution difficulty was high and it always seemed like we struggled to consistently run his offense. 3 and out's and failure in the redzone were consistent issues that IMO was due to insufficient preparation to consistently run some of the plays we ran. If AB wasn't make an amazing catch or Ben wasn't making an unbelievable throw it was punt or FG time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know. I just wish Ben had the arm strength to get it there.

19. 1st down

1st down Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Can’t help but wonder how much of Tampa Bay’s win came from defense and Brady rather than Arians. Tampa had most of the same players last year except for switching out Winston for Brady this year.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Definitely due to Brady and the defense, Winston threw 30 ints in 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Most the same players.??? You need 2 check again. Kind sir.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 1st down

1st down Member

Nov 25, 2020
    That’s ma’am, lol. Ok, perhaps I overgeneralized a bit. Was thinking about the receivers and key defensive players, but they did add Fournette and drafted Wirfs, who definitely made a difference. Did Arians make a difference? Not 100% sold. Brady changes everything.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I remember fans on here kissing Doug Pederson's ass after he won the Super Bowl, now he's unemployed :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also added AB, and Gronkowski just 2 name a few. :smiley1: Also hope I didn't scare off are only female board member. LoL I just always think it's a Guy I'm typing at. LoL

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  25. 1st down

1st down Member

Nov 25, 2020
    It’s all good. And you’re right, they did add more pieces than what I was thinking of. All that said, still can’t say Arians made the difference on this team

• Like Like x 2