1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did the Steelers fire Arians?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The guy has proven to be a better HC than Tomlin. Yet the Steelers fired him. Since then he won Coach of the Year (something Tomlin has never done), took multiple teams to the playoffs, and now won a Super Bowl dethroning what was considered an all-time great Chiefs team.

Tomlin in the same time period has...well...he's avoided having any losing seasons...

If we had fired Tomlin and made Arians the HC, I think we would have a 7th Super Bowl in the cabinet right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Arians was fired after 2011 season... Tebow debacle. Lots of things should have happened... like Steelers drafting for 4-3 instead of 3-4, but it didn't.

2010's Steelers = 1980's Steelers. Same playoff results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The offence wasn't incredible under Arians. Ben's sack totals were unsustainable. Had Ben kept playing in Arians' system, Ben would definitely be retired by now. People seen to forget Steelers fans were calling for Arians head for a couple of years before he was finally let go.

And the offence TB runs is more Brady's offence than Arians'.

Arians has proven to be a very good HC though - I'll grant you that.

As for Tomlin, he came from the D side and that's really all he knows. I honestly don't think he has much input on the offensive side, so he needs a strong offensive coordinator. Haley was a great coordinator, but by all accounts a pretty horrible person and hard to get along with.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    One of Arians' major issues was that on 4th and 1 he would call a play throwing to the end zone or 20+ yards down field. Fans were definitely complaining about him and calling for his head. I'm sure I will get some disagreement on this, but Todd Haley was probably the better OC in terms of keeping Ben from being hit all the time. That was the main reason he was brought in. But, of course Ben didn't like him because he wanted to play his type of game and would blame Haley for the failed play calls. Now well post-Haley, we can see how many failed play calls Ben has had with Fichtner. Ironically, Ben has now had to resort to the Haley dink and dunk offense due to his lack of arm strength and mobility.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    $$$ Post

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    BA basically played whatever the QB wanted to play. Ben wanted shot after shot after shot, even on 3rd and inches. The way we were playing wasn't sustainable for the QB. What you saw last night was what the QB wanted to do, not what BA wanted to do. Ironically Ben went from shot shot shot to dump off dump off dump off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    You’re assuming that Brady would have left the Pats to sign with the Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So Tom Tom could get another ring.:shrug::cool:

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Geez. I hope not.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Arians has a stacked team and got lucky that Brady was available and agreed to go there. Without his experience and winning mentality rubbing off on the players there is no way they win that game. Todd Bowles and his defence also deserve at least as much credit as Arians, they lit Mahomes on fire and I honestly doubt BA had all that much input on that side of the ball.

I’m not trying to diss Arians btw, I do think he is a good HC. He had an awful lot of things fall his way to get that championship is all I’m saying. I’m not sure he is significantly better than Tomlin.

I still can’t believe that they pulled off a Super Bowl in Brady’s first year there. It’s absolutely astonishing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Some people's memories are shorter than their dicks. How do you think bombs-away Bruce got that nickname?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    It isn't astonishing at all. It went exactly like the script was written.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Like Glenn, I'm starting to have my doubts about you, but this just about seals it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin won coach of the year in 2008.

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hang on, I'm a little confused. Is it a good thing or a bad thing if my memory is longer than my dick? I kind of feel like if my dick was longer than my memory that I would never have to wear pants again, but it seems you have used it as an insult, so now I'm lost.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  17. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Yup, and Art seems to be desperately clinging to the status quo why I have no idea

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Don`t give too much props to Arians. They beat KC who had a makeshift 0-line and a limping QB who had to run for his life constantly.

He deserves something, but I would not heap high praise on him.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not to take from Arians, but you probably coulda put any HC on that team and they probably still go all the way because of you know who.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know. It made more sense in my head before I wrote it. Now that you question it, it doesn't make sense.

• Like Like x 3
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know about that. Arians did more with less in his time with IND, AZ and Bucs with Winston. The opposite of Tomlin's typical... "do less with more."

22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Replacing Arians with Haley was the right move. Of course, even a casual Steeler fan would know that. Arguing whether or not BA is a better HC now is twisted revisionist history. Really weak take. If your going to troll, try harder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Funny thing is that every coordinator that has worked with Ben seems to get his head called for. Maybe just maybe Ben has been the problem. He's always been arrogant, does what he wants and when he doesn't get his way started playing that BS passive aggressive game he plays. Ben had an amazing skill set and tough as nails but i have always suspected that he was hard to coach, bull headed and never put the work in. My suspicion has been that he is one of the guys that got by on Raw talent and percieved himself to be better than most people.

This is all opinion on my part based off of watching the guys career and how things have transpired and putting all those pieces together. I have no real proof. But i believe Arians was just another scapegoat for Ben and Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With no proof. LOL. I agree with a lot of this. Imagine what he could have been. Of course that's kinda unfair, because he's been better than alot.

25. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    That brings up a good question. If Brady came to the Steelers, could he have gotten Tomlin another ring instead of his string of participation ribbons?