1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kordell Stewart Article

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If you add Rodgers and Favre to that list, you have five Super Bowls for five QBs, two fewer than Brady, one more than Montana.

Elway only got his when he matured as a pocket passer. Bradshaw, too. Both could run, but they were surgeons from the pocket.

All things considered, I'd rather have the guy that can read defenses pre and post-snap and routinely find the open guy vs. the guy who has to play hero ball and wait for the play to break down.

Ideally, your guy can do both, with a heavy reliance on the former.

I like Mahomes, but he's going to have a short career at this rate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He just happened to have played in the wrong era. If he came out today and offensive coordinators would build the offense around him, he would have been even better. I don’t know about HOF but he had some flashes of brilliance.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If anyone remembers when he was Slash ... He was a better WR.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's worked well for.....???

5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I remember it quite differently. Success going to one's head is Mike Vick, not Slash. He let success consume him. It was too much for him. He never seemed to ride that wave to me. He got caught in its wake. He was inflexible, I'll give you that. But it was because he did things his way and tried to stay true to himself. I can't fault a man for that. It would have been "nice" if his goals and the team's goals were more aligned. And back then football was still much more a team first sport. Today it is not. If he were playing today, he would be regarded, and utilized, far differently.

And I'll never claim to know everything, so I'll ask you to clarify something. Where do you get that he carried a reputation of being a jack-ass? Being a guy who grew up in the northeast and bled black and gold, I never got that. Maybe I missed something.

6. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I bet he can still take a snap under center. I bet he could track and fall on a ball hiked over his head. Just sayin'

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bet he couldn't take a team 2 the SB, and he played on some great ones. Just saying. Sorry that sounds dickish. I retract.

8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Lol, I read it a couple times and was like, damn. But hey, you have an opinion for a reason. It's all good. And you're right, regardless of how it sounded. I wasn't implying that he should put the pads back on, just that Ben needs to hang his up for good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I've seen Kordell beyond the football world. Him acting like a jackass is just popular opinion but i agree.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    You've got me on that experience. I'm only referring to his active playing days. Now I will say that he always really pissed me off when he would refer to himself in the third person. He did that a freaking lot.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I didn't here anything bad about him until he was out of football. Guess he got salty.

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am in full agreement with you and Strummerfan that all say it was Cower’s staff and thinking in that era of the NFL that really held him (and Randall Cunningham) back all those years ago.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m not reading through all four pages of debate on Stewart but I’ve seen enough people who I agree with in support of who Stewart could have been if they utilized what they had instead of trying to reshape his great abilities into something he exactly wasn’t.

Anyway, I have a Luke warm HOT TAKE.

I happen to believe that the AFCC game that we lost to the Patriots was the first obvious sign of the spy-gate scandal. We were so much better than them that year and they came into our house and played like they knew exactly what was coming. Except for one special teams back-breaking run back, it was the first time I saw us as a far superior team just crumble for no apparent reason.

when they got busted for knowing defensive signals 2 years later my first thought was - of course that’s what happened.

We should have gone to the Super Bowl that year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    was never a big fan of Kordell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pleasantly surprised that the tide is turning, at least based on the first page of responses. The ratio used to be much, much worse around here.

• Like Like x 2
  16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you. Kordell's lack of accuracy on passes use to frustrate the heck out of me. I always said he could not hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside. I remember his first year as a starter he was on the Late Show with David Letterman and he took him on the roof to throw footballs through the open window of a building across the alley. He did not put a single ball through the window. I think he gave him 3-5 balls to throw. I don't think it was even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Here is a link to an interview from the Tamron Hall show this week.

• Informative Informative x 2