1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The lesser Devin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Are we already giving up on Bush on here? This board is funny sometimes.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Definitely not, he will be a great player for this team. I think he needs a better partner than Williams going forward however, they really need another coverage linebacker, they tried moving Allen there and he was exposed, Spillane is limited as well and not a long term starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Who's giving up on Bush? I love Bush. My love of Bush goes all the way back to the 5th grade when I discovered dad's stack of playboys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's just one troll

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Might be, could also be instincts and technique. He is terrible as of last year in pass defense.

6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Devin Bush is average at best. Bust for a 10th overall. You knew Shazier was a star from his very first pre season. Steelers fell in love with a fast ILB to replace Shazier and failed to see Bush kinda sucks

7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I know you are talking specifically about Bush but if we are comparing like with like, White is also terrible at this, all his big splash plays are tackles and blitzes.

In fact, PFF have given White one of the worst pass coverage grades in the entire league. I think White would have been massively exposed in the Steelers defence being asked to cover TE’s and RB’s all the time, never mind slot receivers.

I agree that Bush needs to improve in this respect, and hopefully he will. I just think those saying we picked the wrong Devin need to be aware that Devin White has some major flaws, not that he was ever an option for the Steelers in the first place. Bush may actually turn out to be the better player yet.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. The legend of Ryan Shazier continues to grow. I guess you weren’t around when Shazier was drafted? Bust was thrown around quite often with him. Now they were wrong.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah . This is true. Though I don't think he was a bust. I did read on a lot of boards , some thought he was.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree. I personally never thought he was a bust either. But you got to admit since his injury he’s been elevated to legend status. I just found it funny that the other person was using Shazier as an example when he received just as much bust talk as bush if not more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think any fair minded person can call Bush a bust at this point. I’m very hopeful that he will be a huge part of this defence.

I have always felt that the trade smacked of utter desperation though, and that it was probably too expensive. They gave up a second and a third for him, he’d have to contribute the value of three players to justify the trade. Maybe over his career he will, but given how short of depth the roster now looks I think it was very expensive and is hurting the team now. None of this is young Devins fault it should be said, all he can do is recover and go out and play.

They made a huge error the previous year by not drafting one of several very good ILB’s that were on the board without the need for a huge trade. It was a huge need at the time. They could have drafted another lineman and running back with those picks they gave up for Bush, or a young tight end or corner. We will have to see how free agency shakes out but it’s looking like there will be a lot of holes to fill.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I wouldn’t call him a bust yet and he is definitely better than anyone else we have at that position.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Devin Bush is not a bust he has very good potential just needs help
    with pass defense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Bush a bust lol. The only defensive player from that rookie class who looked more seasoned than Devin bush in their rookie year was nick Bosa. And many people felt he was neck and neck with nick to win defensive rookie of the year.

He’s only 22 years old and went down early this season, not sure where this bust bs is coming from. Terrell edmunds Is a legit bust. Stop jumping the gun on Bush it’s way to early.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was envious watching Tampa Bay with those two fast LBs, that's what the Steelers need another fast ILB to pair with Bush. Williams is too limited, and his run defense slipped last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Think of whose in their NFCS ,compared 2 who we have 2 play AFCN. We dont need 2 go all small & speed with the running being done in our division. I mean . IMO you gotta win your division 1st. They face a way different running game in the NFCS

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They still need a upgrade over Williams though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed.

19. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    IDK man, Shazier ran a 4.3 and was a missile. He was a real play maker. His speed showed up and his power. unfortunately his tackling technique was not what it should have been but he was still a thumper. Bush is poised to be an average to above average LB imo. Shazier is a Steelers legend, we lose to AJ McCaron in the playoffs without that forced fumble. In his short career you could tell he had something. Don't feel the same about Bush

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Legend because of his terrible injury and coming back from that to even walk again is epic AF. But the Shazier legend is not due to his accomplishments on the field. Lets be realistic about that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He was definitely heading towards being a great player, but his first couple years was like Bud Dupree.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bush’s story is still being written. Shazier was streaky and often injured early on. He was starting to put it together then he got injured.
    Point is that just as many people were calling Shazier a bust as Bush if not more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He'll make the HOF if he stays in Pittsburgh. Devin will be playing like Shazier next year or the year after. He has Timmons skills with speed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

Just use the eye test bro, you'll see that bush doesn't provide what Shazier did and Shazier would have at least a couple All Pros at this point. He was a monster and a fearless player. Bush was a reach. It's not even close. The Burst, Speed, Coverage, Power, Instincts. You're in denial or you're a michigan fan.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not the point. You used Shazier as an example to prove Bush is a bust. My point was that Shazier was routinely called a bust early on and he turned out alright.
    Bush has played about a season and a half of football thus far. Pump the brakes on the bust talk already.

And that eye test stuff is whack. Gotta considering the brain that is processing what those eyes see.

• Agree Agree x 1