1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one ever said that but Conner still had 1,000 all purpose yards with 7 TD’s this year and Bell had about 400 all purpose yards and 2 TDs :roflmao:

Another so called great made by Ben and the Steelers system.

In 2018, Conner was giving them exactly what they got from Bell, hell, they all but abandoned the running game this year and he still produced. I’ll take Conner over Bell any day, Conner is a football player, Bell is all about himself and no heart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bell plays 2018, they make the playoffs. And if he wasnt exactly what bell was where is the all pros, rankings as a top 5 player, and the best rb in the nfl?

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can’t make sense of what you just wrote. All I know is Conner put up the same kind of stats in 2018 as Bell does and outperformed him big time this season. 2019 was a lost season to injuries which is Conners biggest weakness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    First post here. Jumping right into it.

Everything is cyclical. Small, fast receivers dictate smaller, faster db's until all the db's are smaller and faster. Then bigger receivers start showing up to counter that. FB's aren't dead, just "out of season." Defenses will adjust to life without them with faster, more athletic linemen and then you'll see a resurgence again to counter that with bruisers who can take advantage of them physically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You do realize that 1,000 all purpose yards equals 60 a game...So that's about 40 rushing and 20 receiving a game...And that sucks

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Context matters. We’re talking about in comparison to what Bell did this year.

Also, he had over a 100 yards in 3 of the first 5 games and then they went away from him, so no, not so sucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As I'm sure Conner is walking this season and we will have a different backfield, I do believe Mark Ingram would be an upgrade. Of course we still need to strengthen our OLine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’m not faulting Conners for the lack of productivity this year. As a team, the Steelers were running the ball well until the first Ravens game. It was then that we limited our run game to 3-5 different plays and put all of our hopes on an aging QB

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram is over 30, and had some injuries, not interested in him. Just draft a younger, cheaper RB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would have to disagree. He is 31. We need a fresh start with a stud from the draft. Young legs. Running backs wear out fast. I agree with the upgrade of the O Line and a 180 mentality change.

I llke Conner and what he has brought to the Steelers. The key is when healthy. I don't know how much he would get on the open market with his injury history. If the Steelers retain him I don't want him to be the feature back. I believe he won't be playing for us next season.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :facepalm:

12. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    take a RB in round 1 or 2. Conner is trash and if you say otherwise , please take the rose colored glasses off. I don't care if he had xyz number of scrimmage yards 2 years ago. That means jack sh*t today. same for the Ben lovers. Snell , McFrarland, Samuels are junk as players too. Some of ya'll are such homers it's sad. The offense is terrible

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You could be absolutely right, then again, maybe not. To me, I don't care who the RB would have been that gets the ball on this team this year in shotgun formation because he isn't going anywhere when the defense are hitting him behind the LOS. On all those 3rd and 4th and 1's that we couldn't get, did you see a hole that the RB's missed or was there no where to go? How about the poor play calling? You ok with that? I agree JC is not and should not be our feature back and probably not any of the others we have now. But before we go out and invest heavily on a RB, we better plan on supporting him/them or this is a total waster of effort IMO. We were last in rushing this year and I will not blame the RB's totally after what I've seen they had to work with. RB's, OL, Coaching, culture and aggressiveness (or lack thereof), all contributed to something that needed a lot of participation to be so bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So if he equaled bell why wasnt anybody calling him the best rb in the nfl? Bell in Pitt was widely regarded as the best in the game.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I said he put up the same kind of stats in 2018 before injury cut his season short.

You might want to pump the breaks on the best RB talk when applying it to Bell. He’s been a complete bust since leaving Pittsburgh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Don't matter what he was when he left he at a point in his career was called the best in the nfl. When did conner ever come close to that?

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    People say a lot of things, doesn’t mean its true and clearly Bell owed much of his success to the Steelers.

He was never the best anything, he’d still be performing at a high level if he was truly the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Connor has got about as much out of his career as anyone could reasonably expect. He’s been the Steelers best back for most of his career, he can catch passes and pass protect. A Pro Bowl, nearly a 1000 yd season. Not great, but generally competent. His running style meant he’d take a lot of punishment in the NFL, and he did. He misses a lot of games, but he’s gonna get a 2nd contract somewhere. Not bad, he can look back on a career to be proud of.

• Like Like x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe at your house! Best in the game? Nah. Very good? Yes.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Look at any poll or list from bell that last yr in Pittsburgh. He was th best in the league. The top 100 players had him ranked overall as the FIFTH best player in the entire nfl..

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yet players in the nfl ranked him the best rb in the #5 overall player in the entire nfl..

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Polls are nothing more than people's opinions. He was really good. Perhaps one of the best but, IMO, not THE best. That's my poll.

23. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Time for Conner to move, best of luck wherever he ends up. Great memories from 2018. Now the question is, how do we repair the running game?

Until we quit passing the ball 50 + times a game and the Oline stops playing on their heels in pass protection and gets back to some solid run blocking it doesn't matter who we have lining up at RB.

24. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I’m not arguing that the Steelers do not need a massive improvement in their running game, but people around here want to build an offense like it’s the 70’s which frankly wouldn’t win in today’s game.[/QUOTE]

If it was the offense of the 3rd and 4th SB win for the Steelers it would . Power running back decent TE two future HOF wideouts and a QB who could launch the rock.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    J
    Jc can play and can be a very good addition to any team in a role that suits his ability, he maybe injury prone,
    but I also feel someone will pay for his services and if not I would welcome him back to Steelers with open arms.