1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Nfl awards

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean it wasn't even like he barely beat him out in most of those categories!

10+ in 6 out of the 8! add in the 7 defended passes and he beats out a lot of corners!

Talk about robbed!

You can say this stuff is meaningless, but this is the stuff HOF voters will be basing their votes on down the line!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    So TJ beats AD on seven out of eight stats ( most by a sizable margin ) and played one less game and still doesn't win DPOY. COME ON MAN !

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    TJ very unlucky, 27/20 in favour of Donald. I think he has been second in the voting two years running now?

Writing was on the wall when Donald was unanimous All Pro and TJ wasn’t. If there were voters that didn’t think TJ was an All Pro they were hardly going to give him the DPOY vote.

Getting edged out for DPOY by a great player like Donald is no great sleight but I actually find it incomprehensible that anybody thought TJ wasn’t worthy of an All Pro vote when he led the league in every category that matters and was clearly the best edge player, there wasn't even a close second. What were these guys watching this season?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, ok. Cool. Cool.

Do we then count how many times TJ was blatantly held?

How many times did AD drop back in coverage? Oh, he got to rush the QB 100% of the time, eh?

It's not just that TJ had better stats. It's that he did it with one less game, and also not rushing every single play. Idiots out there acting like TJ was only ever chipped by a TE or RB never watched TJ play. I'd like to know the percentage of hits/hurries/sacks per actual pass play rushing the QB for both. I guarantee it's not even close.

Yes, I know different positions and all that. But honestly, what edge rusher or OLB even came close to TJ this year?!?! Does TJ need to record 50 sacks, 50 INTs and 10TDs in only 10 games to finally get the recognition???

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Based on what talking heads say...in the world of sheeple. They say it enuff. Sheeple regurgitate it. Must be true . They said it was. LoL Instead of looking for it . Like JJ showed.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Means nothing...until a young up and coming fan that never really seen either play....starts looking up things and says...man he must be better, he got Dpoy. Kinda of like I've heard people defend Cam N. Well he got a MVP.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He did get 20 votes which is very respectable. I do get what you are saying though, and I don’t know why he is getting overlooked.

If Khalil Mack or Von Miller had the season TJ just had they’d be DPOY, no question in my mind. TJ seems to be underrated by many. Perhaps he is living in JJ’s shadow to an extent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    In the screwed up world of NFL thinking, I am wondering if something could be remotely possible. I have no idea who are the genius's that decide on HOF and POY's for both O and D. Or if they know what each other are going to do in selecting recipients announced on the same day. Could it be possible, just possible, that those two groups do talk to each other under the brilliance of Goodell, or whomever from somewhere in the NFL swamp, and decided that 2 individuals associated with the Steelers are going to be honored for the HOF and so the DPOY needs to go to someone else from another team who is not as deserving but they can get away with who they pick? Why did AF have to wait for so long for the HOF when he was more worthy than so many before him? Sorry, but that is the way I think when something like this happens.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    THAT'S the part I have a real problem with...You can have an argument over Watt vs Donald...But to NOT give Watt your vote as an All Pro... Whoever that was/ were...Should have their privleges taken away!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

I usually am not that big of a fan for individual awards meaning I would take a Super Bowl Ring first and foremost. Given that, yes, this is completely OUTRAGEOUS. TJ beat Donald in every Major Category except one. Again this is both UNBELIEVABLE as well as OUTRAGEOUS. I could see if it was a near 50/50 split on those categories but as stated above it was not. Again, TJ won them all except one.

I was not sure how and who is involved in the Voting Process. Well, here it is:

The winner is decided by votes from a panel of 50 AP sportswriters who regularly cover the NFL.

Again, as I have always stated, when their is a "Human Element" involved in things like this, all "Objectivity" goes out the window. How is possible that any one of the 27 that voted for Donald were "Unbiased" and "Objective". it was a landside Domination by TJ. You know me folks and what is next...."Disgusting".

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There has always been personal 'politics' involved with this type of voting, that is the human element...but I agree..when you have the league leader in all those cats. and he does not get that vote for all pro someone has not been watching. The point on Donald being double teamed (in the vote for POY) can easily be countered by key injuries to 2 steelers LB's and how many games AluALu was out, TJ was still performing lights out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness.

I posted in greater detail my disdain for this "Travesty". A complete "Rip-Off" of TJ. Like I stated in my other post here, winning the Super Bowl is first and foremost and I would bet TJ, as well as every other player on our Team feels the same way. However, Individual Awards represent personal goals that some players set for themselves which in turn are "Driving Forces" that lead to bigger "Team Goals" like winning a Championship. I would imagine that is how TJ views this as well. Again...."Disgusting".

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 2
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This is BS, people say Donald deserved it because he faces double teams, well TJ gets held most of the time :shrug:.

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Vox.

I see your points. I guess we could put stipulations on each player such as:
    • TJ loses his "Bookend" partner Bud Dupree and also Devin Bush.
    • What Defensive Scheme each team plays.
    • They play different positions.
    • Who gets Doubled -Teamed more.
    • and on and on.
    The point is, where would it end? Again, as I stated in my other post, when there is a "Humanistic Element" involved in things like this, all objectivity goes out the window. Again, as I stated in another post here, I could see if it was a near 50/50 split on those major categories listed but it was not even close. Again, TJ won them all except one. Again...."Disgusting".

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Let's look at the bright side. Him being DPOY may make him even more expensive for the Steelers for his next contract. So there's that at least.

• Like Like x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Again Everyone.

Now, I feel like I am on a mission. I have been searching around trying to find out exactly which AP Writers voted for who. So far no success.
    • Anyone here know?
    • Are these names kept private?
    I am really curious for a whole bunch of reasons as I am sure most here are too. If they are not made public knowledge they sure should be.

Again...."Disgusting".

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As did super passer Lamar Jackson.

• Like Like x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

I Got It Folks.

Below is a link to who the fifty AP Voters are.

50 AP Voters Link

Now, I am still looking to see who voted for who. I would appreciate any help here if inclined to do so (smile)

If we cannot find out who voted for who we can have some fun and speculate.

Again...."Disgusting".

I am still looking for who voted for who. I may be putting my foot in my mouth here as far as speculating regarding who voted for who but again, like I stated, it is in fun. Given that, I will bet that the three listed below did not vote for TJ. I say this because of historical observations from each of them regarding "Hating On" the Pittsburgh Steelers. Admittedly, I probably know about a third of the fifty names here.
    • Rodney Harrison: Always talking sh-- about us when we used to play the cheats.
    • Boomer Esiason: We made life miserable for him back in the days.
    • Pete Prisco: Clipboard boy that probably never played sports in his life and is a rats fan.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Glad I didn't waste my time watching this other NFL popularity contest. Maybe the only way TJ Watt wins is if they start adding all the phantom no hold calls against the player and using that as a contributing stat.

These awards are a complete sham as well as the Pro Bowl selection and so called game itself. I'm not sure but I heard the pro bowl was played by the players on a Madden game?!? WTH? Is that what sports are now going to be become. Why are they even playing the Superbowl today. They should just mask up, do the coin flip with the first female referee and declare the winner on best out of three.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I totally agree...it is kind of like MLB HOF...there will always be players that are borderline, but Hank Aaron received 97.8%, 9 votes short of perfection...so those 9 voters felt Hank was not HOF worthy???? Or not 1st ballot HOF worthy????

The honor given to those to vote is supposedly for their objectivity and expertise in evaluating the game...that fact that TJ was not voted unanimous All Pro is an example of those voting having lost their objectivity..should the stats be the only measure..no, but it should be the separating factor between those you feel are close on the ballot.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Whats this i hear abt a female referee:eek::shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It means something to the players

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    All individual awards are meaningless. The Lombardi is all that matters.