1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder who generates these reports because they don’t seem to be aware of the Steelers cap space.

Putting that aside, IF somehow the cap shakes out that they could pull it off, would you want him? He’s a great RB and would allow them to use that pick on another position. Only 26 years old but has had some trouble staying on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't we already have a 25 year old RB who has trouble staying on the field?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ye...... no, hell yes. i'd take their backup too if not jones. jamal williams.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no actually we don't, he's a free agent too. well will be in march.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Great player. Leaving the inconvenient issue of money aside for the moment there is no point in signing someone like Jones without a transformation in the whole approach on offence. He is not a big man, won’t run over people, break tackles and get yards on his own, they’d have to open lanes for him to get him in space where he goes to work. The Steelers line just wasn’t doing that in 2020 and our running backs were too slow for it to matter anyway, but I guess it’s something they will be determined to fix under Canada.

If they do manage to fix it I think McFarland could have a big year 2. He is in the Jones mould, totally dependent on blocking but devastating once he gets in to space.

Jones is brilliant as a receiver too, but a lot of that is down to the play action offence they are running in GB now. Jones was transformed once LeFleur got there and changed the scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you evidently haven't watched much of jones if that's your take on him. :cool:

7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I have watched plenty of him. He is brilliant, but I think he would be wasted in this current Steelers offence without huge improvement in front of him.

What is your take and why am I wrong?

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he does run over people and through tackles and gets alot of yardage after contact as well as breaks tackles. all three of green bays rbs are pretty impressive. all can catch well too. i expect williams to be the odd man out unless they can afford them all. :cool:

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Do you think it is a coincidence that all three of their running backs are impressive? Or that Jones career completely exploded once LeFleur got there? It’s the scheme they are running. He did nothing before that.

Of course he gets some YAC but he is not Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb, what sets Jones apart is those explosive runs when he finds a gap, he only runs a 4.5 but plays much faster. Very few running backs have more of those long runs than Aaron Jones, he can really make people miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sometimes I wonder if Agents leak false info that Steelers are interested in order to generate some heat?

Aaron Jones would be a great pick up though...

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    No Thanks. Give me Javonte William's in hopefully 2and, prob have to trade up in 2nd

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with Mac, that’s not my take on him at all. He breaks tackles, runs over people, runs away from people, has great hands, guys a stud.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't care anymore. Just post when somebody is actually signed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Pretty good O line there too.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You do understand any one can have a twitter account , even you.

Who is Evan Massey? Not sure how this makes him a reliable source for the Steelers?
    upload_2021-2-6_1-4-10.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think it is the agents, just way to many independent sports "journalists" that just push something and hope it sticks enough to generate enough re-tweets to get some attention. Most of the blather that comes through the feeds on my phone is just complete made up non-sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Lmao yeah I'm not putting much into this.

The reality is the Steelers are up against the cap and probably losing most of their own free agents to free agency let alone sign big names from other teams.

Look for our signings to follow the traditional pattern of economical mid-teir veterans in the second wave of FA. Every now and then they hit like they did with James Farrior

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not even have twitter but you describe pretty much the whole world of this type of media right there, anyone can have an account. Something popped up a few hours ago, some guy writing that JJ Watt would be traded to the Chargers for some other player. His 'expert'opinion also included the line, "This probably won't happen, but it makes sense'. Oh really, to who does it make sense? A cheap smart phone, a $25 dollar cheap phone plan, free twitter account and everyone is now a 'journalist', lmao.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He is a great player blast, never said he wasn’t, just don’t expect that we could drop him in to this current Steelers offence and get the same results that he got in Green Bay where he had that line in front of him and arguably the best QB/WR combo in football in Rodgers/Adams to back defences up and lighten the box. It’s a great place to be a running back is all I’m saying, and it a good part of his success.

I think this story is BS but even if the Steelers did have some money to spend I wouldn’t be putting it towards a running back, good as he is. I’d go after his teammate Corey Linsley first, also a FA

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, I can have a twitter account! I had no idea since I already have twitter account and that’s where I found this.

Not everyone can get a blue check mark, who he is, is right in his bio. You do know that even more reputable people like Ian Rapport have been putting stuff like this out all offseason.

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s a message board and it’s fun to speculate I suppose but I agree with Glenn sign him sign everyone!! We are not signing any big FA we don’t have any damn money to spend. We are about to lose half our roster cutting people to get under the cap for Christ sake. Only chance at retaining some players or adding one or two would be Ben retiring or doing something crazy with his contract to take a league minimum.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    James F. Was perfect, because his team had switched 2 the 4-3. It left him expendable. Another reason I hate 2 see a team blow up everything after a season they didn't like. 2 put it clearly. I don't want 2 see us do that. I like it when other teams do it.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    IMO we can go cheap at the RB spot, we don't have the OL to run block and we probably have another season of little to no running game..I wanted a stud RB in the draft at first thought , but after thinking about it why ? If we are going to be the quick pass dink and dunk then no need to sign the Franchise RB this year..

Just use Mcfadden as the scat RB and Snell on short yardage ...

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    If the price is right, sure. Jones, Pick, AMc, Snell

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The reason the Pack isn't going to overpay Jones is because of a 2020 2nd round pick.

Get your RBs in the draft, and on cheap 3rd contracts. Never pay for their decline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1