1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kordell Stewart Article

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Feb 4, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was everywhere. I remember 1st time I went 2 Chiefs stadium. I got out of the vehicle with my #10 jersey. The very 1st thing I heard was.....Hahaha. Your QBs gay. I shouted back. I really don't care what he is as long as we win. We lost.:puking2: You know , now that I think about it. I think that's how Ward became such a great Wr. Catching all those pass from K.S. Behind his back, way over his head, and at his feet. K.S. had one good pass in his bag. The Deep pass down the sidelines. Also like some said. IMO. Compared 2 some of the running QBs. ( then,& now) He was alot better than he gets credit 4. I can think of alot of QBs that don't get drafted during his time, if he didn't play. Not that any of them did anything. Still. Got 2 give him his credit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Stewart probably would have been a lot more effective in a more modern offense that took better advantage of his ability to run, but the flaws in his game were real. He was a good, not great, quarterback who unfortunately played at a time when offenses really didn't fit his skill set as well as they do now.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I remember fighting with my dad about it. I had the stance that even if he was gay who cares, doesn’t change him as a player...my dad of course didn’t think gays can play football.

The racial stuff doesn’t surprise me around here, even today.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Kordell is a bust without Bettis especially in Cowher's system.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    International. I was working in Acapulco when I first heard that rumor....

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who cares if he was gay or not. I don't. He just wasn't that great as a QB. Now Slash, that was a show. Should have moved to wide receiver.

They finally figured he wasn't that great and was replaced by an insurance salesman.

As many before and after him, in the big moment he shrunk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I lived in Florida at the time and it was all over the radios there. And not just the sports talk radio. The morning "shock jock" types were also reveling in it.

Doesn't even matter if he was gay or not. The rumors over his arrest were obviously false but people were so eager to believe them.

Hell, even the old HBO show "Arli$$" made reference to it in an episode. For those unfamiliar, ARli$$ was a sports based comedy about a sports agency. Sometimes they dealt with real life sports figures. Most times, they used fictional ones. There was an episode about a black QB who allegedly got caught in a compromising position and was losing endorsements and about to be cut because "everyone knows" he's gay. They played it for comedy, but even they left the question open. That episode came out the following year that Kordell's rumors started. (Correction: I just looked up the original air date, and it aired BEFORE the Kordell rumors. Either a huge coincidence, or possibly the inspiration for the rumors?)

When Kordell was in the zone, he was a sheer joy to watch. Absolutely amazing athlete. Unfortunately, more often than not, he was NOT in the zone, and his weaknesses in accuracy and ability to read a defense made it frustrating. Now, a lot of that is undoubtedly because they did not use him correctly. Forcing him into a drop back QB role was a huge mistake. And yeah, I'm one of those convinced to this day that he'd be in the HOF right now if he just stayed a WR. That's a tribute to how great an athlete and overall football player he was. But as a pure QB, he came up short. Some of that was due to factors out of his control. And some of it because he couldn't overcome some flaws. I get the man has his pride. I just never understood why it was so important to him to be exclusively a QB. But hey, who am I to judge? He was definitely ahead of his time. If he came out today, he'd light it up!

I was a huge critic of his back in the day. But that was always about his quality of play. I always liked him as a person.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What a great article. Thanks for sharing!

9. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It was part system, part Kordell. Cowher wasn't changing the system for a special athlete. And he wasn't about changing the game as it was played back then to cater to his strengths. But Kordell wasn't changing either. Two hard-headed men unwilling to bend for the greater good.

I had heard the stories back then. I didn't care. Just wanted to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was all over in St. Louis. I used to go to a local sports bar that had a Steelers fan club and it was definitely talked about there. Also just wearing Steelers gear around town and people would say he was gay.

11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Regardless of his preference, it’s sad that unsubstantiated rumors almost ruined his career and life. Remember, Bettis’ career almost ended because of a sexual assault allegation that proved to be an attempt to extort him.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Man, that’s just crazy to me. In 98’ it really wasn’t a big deal anymore, that story never should have gained steam.

As far as his abilities, I never thought he was awful like some try to make him out to be. He was good and could have been great in the right system.

I still remember when he first started playing QB and made a great play with his legs and they cut to the bench and two teammates, don’t remember who look at each other and mouth “wow”. That’s when I knew they could have had something special but like others said, tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

He still went to two AFC championships, no one can ever take that away from him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I like Kordell as Slash. As a pocket QB, Not so much. He had all the talent in the world but he really limited himself by demanding that he be just a QB. The rumors were stupid and I questioned it from the beginning but at the same time wasn't really sure. People shouldn't have turned against him the way they did though. He handled it about as best as one could.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I remember those rumors going around about Kordell, back before the internet, when it was just rumor or urban legend....

I also remember there was stuff going around about Cowher too...

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of his as a starter. His knock always was his accuracy, but again he didn't have a full set of complimentary receivers either. In his final season as a starter he had Plaxico and Hines and he played much better. Even though we lost to the Patriots that year in the AFC championship it was not his fault. He played well without the benefit of Bettis in the line up. I think after that game I was ready to believe he could be a starter. Unfortunately, he didn't follow up with a good season after that eventually giving way to Tommy Maddox. As I said, his accuracy was his knock, but accuracy is a funny thing. If a QB puts the ball up between 2 or 3 defenders and it's intercepted all you hear is how ill advised that pass was. If the QB puts that same ball up between 2 or 3 defenders and his receiver comes down with it, then all you hear is how incredible that pass was, he threaded the needle, put the ball where only his receiver could catch it, or "He is learning to trust his receivers to fight for the ball."

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Looking back, he definitely handled it with class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I heard that Police Sgt. Westbrook caught Kordell in Schenley Park. Even though he was 64 yards away, he was sure it was him.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Be honest folks. Fond memories are colored. I honestly don't think I saw a Qb skip as many passes as I seen him do it. I Liked him , never cared whether he was Gay or not. He was a Steeler, but was not very good a throwing the ball. Only his sideline deep passes were good. You know in a Qb the art of throwing is kinda needed. Not how fast you are. I never hear people say man I like the way that Rb runs, but that other Rb has a better arm. LoL. They do that with QBs . I have never seen a running Qb win squat. (Don't let people fool you they been around awhile) Now I've seen some pocket Qbs that could run that have.

19. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Lmao never heard the cowher rumors. People say any random thing . I guess bill was sneaking into pegasus after games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No ... it was about something different, but it was weird because my Uncle told me about the rumor, and we aren't from the Burgh, so that tells you how far it traveled. I don't think he got it from the radio either.

Pre-internet life was pretty interesting. LOL!

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's kinda like the Richard Gere thing, or the Rod Stewart thing. I always thought how the hell do you know this. Freaking like Urban Legends. It's always like....Heard it from a friend who....Heard it from a friend who....heard it from another....LOL

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I read that article as well. Pretty sad how some people act. I wouldn't have even thrown beer in ABs face even though he deserved it after all his theatrics leaving the city.

I liked Kordell and appreciate him sticking to play QB despite the pressure to be slash. Physically he could sling the ball 73 so yards which is on par with Brett Farve. He was a lot of fun watching yet frustrating in the same breath as I watch him lead Hines Ward into a safety waiting to take his head off. Hines would get up smiling catching the ball God bless him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He didn't perform well in the playoffs, period.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StewKo00/gamelog/post/

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Kordell was the problem imo. Very inflexible character that let success go to his head. Football is just one aspect of his troubling ways, he has the reputation of being a jackass. Ben without the talent imo.
    Randall-El was a great qb that switched to receiver but won't see the HOF. Kordell would have got in his own way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I didn't care for him then, and I don't now. Played during the years I try to forget. I always ask, "would you have this person babysit your kids" to see how they really feel about someone's character. As far as people slandering other people, I am sure many here were just as upset about the last few years.