1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers hire assistant OL coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The sky is the limit for this guy. Can't do any worse than last season that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Like it, Atlanta run rankings not great, but don't know enough about particular

A vet coach will go a long way IMHO plus 2 sets of eyes

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :applaud: good. outside zone guy. probably fits well with canada's scheme. morgan was a run game coordinator too.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure the doom and gloom guys will be in here to trash the hire :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like the hire, he should bring some new ideas to improve the running game, now they need to draft 2 OL and a stud RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I actually love this hire. Definitely fits the mold of what Canada loves to do and exploit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That strong Atlanta run game coming to Pittsburgh, yeah!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And hopefully not all the sacks.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Gotta have the horses to coach. That's is where these two may struggle. I don't believe scheme alone is going to cut it. :cool:

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like the hire. Would be nice to bring in a RB early rounds if available. Conner's been ok but I don't think worth a fresh contract imo overpaying at the position

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    So.......! Our OL coach is an asst OL and our Asst OL is a former OL!!!

Our OC is a QB coach and our QB coach is an OC!!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Good stuff. Sure seems like real changes on O will happen. Gotta draft OL heavy.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yeah, I saw thought that as well. You have to hope that the experience of the guys in the lower positions to help fix things they are making mistakes on or have a different perspective which helps.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Does this indirectly telegraph then that Pittsburgh is looking for either a great or elite level athletic tackle?! For the Outside Zone Run Concepts to work, Offensive Tackles have to essentially be dancing bears then. If that is the case, there are only three Offensive Tackles that fit this profile in Round One;

1.) Samuel Cosmi

2.) Teven Jenkins

3.) Jalen Mayfield

I really want to place Alex Leatherwood here but his athletic skills are not in the same league as the aforementioned; doubly so in Mayfield's case. Even if Pittsburgh does not address Offensive Tackle in Round One, Dillon Randunz from North Dakota State is the next best option then.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Good thing this 2021 Offensive Lineman Class is loaded. Granted, not as special as the legendary 2020 Class but pretty close. Can find quality Offensive Lineman in every round but I share the opinion that one of the three top picks must be at that position. No exceptions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts exactly. It all depends on the athleticism of the Offensive Tackles. If they only have good athletic ability, the Outside Zone Runs will not work. Thankfully, plenty of athletic Tackles in this class.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Coyle, walton, collins, okrafor are athletic tackles. People need to watch some film on these guys. Most are under 3 bills though, but they have quickness. Pouncey was effective when he first got here because he could use his athleticism and hit multiple targets on the same play. The downside is bigger rushers can overpower him at times. So it may be a little give and take. Leglue, banner are more size power guys. Hawkins if brought back is a mix. Dotson and Decastro are athletic guards with some size but not like foster had. Foster didn't have the athleticism though but could engulf people. We need a center added. We may not need him to be a pouncey type but a guy that can anchor well. I want a little more size there. Myers is a nice mix. It will be interesting to see what we add.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    So how long before this guy becomes the new offensive line coach? How long is Klemm's contract?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Alabama's scheme is pretty zone heavy. I have to think Leatherwood could work.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Dotson is 6"4" #320 :shrug:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he can move though. as i said athletic. foster by the end had to go 345 at least.:cool:

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Zone heavy?! Sure.

As outside zone heavy as Matt Canada?! Not even close.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Colye, Walton, and Collins..... to depend on them though is a tremendous leap of faith. Keep in mind that those players are fringe roster players at best within this current time. As for the likes of Chuks Okorafor, I would agree. However, the issue with him is that he will be in a contract year in 2021. Who is to say he is gone by 2022; doubly so if Adrian Klemm can get the most out of him?!

The key here is finding these types of players when the proverbial iron is hot. Sure, there are athletic Offensive Tackles in every class but I doubt we will see it to the levels any of us have seen in both the 2020 and 2021 drafts. When it comes down to it, those two Offensive Tackle Classes are some of the best Offensive Tackle Classes the NFL has seen in over a decade... maybe longer. Even raw talents like Jalen Mayfield do not come around that often.

Again, my dream pick for such a scheme to work is Christian Darrisaw from Virginia Tech but he is a Top 20 pick at worst. Pittsburgh would have to trade up to acquire him and I am not 100% what the Steeler's resources will be by the time the 2021 NFL Draft rolls around assuming both JuJu and Dupree are gone in addition to factoring in their comp picks.... whatever those may be.