1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kordell Stewart Article

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Feb 4, 2021.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Is he in football shape? :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I think at 48 he's not, but hey that is only 5 years older than Brady

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is a good read and shows the stupidity of some humans who instantly want to cancel and brand a life over something they 'hear'. IDK if KS would have been HOF had he made the switch to WR, a lot of his success was based on his great athletic ability over superior route running. That said, had he made the switch and developed he certainly could have been a 3 way weapon (like ARE) with possibly a much longer career.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I was a big Kordell fan, when he was playing well he was one of the most exciting QBs to watch play. Unfortunately, that wasn't most of the time. I defending him all the way up to the end, just wished he could have stayed consistently good. I thought he had it figured out after he got benched and won the starting job back. I think it was a deep incompletion to Hines where he missed a wide open WR for a TD that was his last throw as the starter.

I always thought the rumors were bull**** but they've become ingrained in culture at this point. That line about people believing that they want to believe is so true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Wasn’t a fan. Always heard about the schenley park rumors lol I was a kid at the time but hear it was a bunch of BS. Messed up to slander someone like that.

7. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    He was a ton of fun to watch. Still one of my all-time favorite Steelers. He wasn't the world's best QB, but he made games entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I really liked Kordell. I never believed any of that BS about him being gay. Someone’s always making up those type of stories. Usually out of jealousy. How many people have heard the rod Stewart story? I’ve heard rumors about Jeff Gordon and Troy Aikman being gay. It’s all just BS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think a large portion of his struggles fall directly on Cowher’s shoulders. Stewart had 3 coordinators in 3 years that all tried making him a pocket passer instead of utilizing his strengths. No matter what Stewart was electric with the ball in his hands.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think if zone read out of the pistol existed then in the NFL back in 99, Kordell would've been a beast.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Bingo! They tried to put a square peg into a round whole. The RPO was not accepted in the pros back then. Never believe the rumors and had seen some QBs in high school ball back then that ran his style, so I appreciated him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I remember being embarrassed for and by people that used to tell that story as a fact. "My brother's GF's step dad went to school with the cop's neighbor that caught him in Schenley Park", or some similar crap. Idiots.

I agree that Stewart was about 15, 20 years ahead of his time. When he was going well, he was fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed..Think Taysum Hill...But a better runner AND passer...He would have been exciting in todays NFL...Hell, He was exciting then!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Kordell had good success with Chan Gailey then Gailey left, and it never went well with other coordinators.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Can he play for a season?

16. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm 35 and behind Big Ben, I still put Kordell as the solid #2 best QB of my lifetime as a Steelers fan, I put him ahead of O"Donnell, Brister, and Maddox by a lot.

Biggest thing that got Kordell was that he didn't perform well in the 1997 and 2001 AFC Championship games.

Easily could of got the Steelers to a Super Bowl, the Slash thing killed him he had ultra success with that as a Rookie, and every fan thought he should of been a WR. Which yeah he was more than athletic enough to do, but he wanted to be a QB and wouldn't let anybody change his mind on that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I had a Kordell poster back in the day, he was a fun player to watch as Slash.

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "They" said the same about Jeff Garcia too. I like Kordell................as a receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I have his rookie card, if anyone's interested..

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I liked him cause he was a Steelers. He did what those kinds of running QBs do. Win games on a good team , but never win SBs. Remember there's a difference between a running Qb, and a Qb that can run. Although in 2001 AFC championship, if we don't have a punt run back 4 a score , and field goal blocked, and run back 4 a score. Well. We win. LoL. That's how good that team was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was a really good read. It makes me a bigger fan of Stewart's in hindsight thinking of him having to deal with that bull****.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was that just a story that went around Pittsburgh? Or did it go mainstream? I don’t recall ever hearing that.

Hard to believe something as stupid as that caused so much trouble. Shame he had to deal with that.

I always liked Kordell, have to roll my eyes at the criticism directed at him, he was better than he gets credit for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Most definitely mainstream, I'm in KC and it was well traveled out here.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I was in HS when this went down and I remember EVERYONE fussing about this. It's definitely wrong of the cop to spread such bs. Sad he had to deal with that plus the racism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He also lost his receivers each year.

If you want to make a kid a pocket passer, why the hell don't you get him a dedicated QB coach?

IIRC it wasn't just making a pocket passer, he wasn't rolling through all his reads on some defensive schemes. That and damn near every throw was a dart!

• Agree Agree x 1