1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 27, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you do realize belichk coaches the o-line as well in NE. always has.:cool:

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Looks like it pays to fail. Promoting failure is an ongoing MO for this organization. So, for an offense that needed to be gutted and taken in a completely new direction and new culture, we now have a new OC and OL coaches from last year that were part of the problem but promoted. Makes you feel like things will be looking up and different next year. Again, who knows how true this is because the article by the reporter from BTSC who was reporting what the other reporter was reporting stated in his last paragraph that this may not be completely firm yet. One thing that's a positive for these new hires, they won't have to change offices or desks since they probably share their office space with all the offensive coaches to save room and electricity.

3. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    While I agree this hire is a slap in the face of every Steelers fan who thought that these coaching opportunities would amount to something positive, I don't believe everything that is in the news/ newspaper/ etc. This article was from 2 years ago and the wording from the "lawyers" who had their clients best interest at heart, may have sensationalized it a bit. I'd like to know how this was settled in court when all the real facts were presented and validated. Not saying what happened didn't happen, but I don't trust anything in the media as it usually has an agenda/bias tied to it one way or another. If this case has been dismissed or thrown out or reduced in some significant way, then big deal. If it was decided in the players favor as initially charged, then this hire is even for disturbing. I am not talking about the promotion hiring now, I am talking about hiring Klemm as the assist OL coach a couple years ago from UCLA when this was being filed in court.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This from a 2016 article while at UCLA.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions claims Klemm brazenly violated rules when he arranged for two recruits to spend three weeks at a training facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. The facility was run by a former NFL player who Klemm is friends with.

The NCAA classified the violations as “Level II,” or falling within the second-most serious tier. Klemm’s ex-girlfriend reportedly tipped off the NCAA to the violations.

Klemm claimed he thought the benefits were permissible because the recruits in question had signed Letters of Intent with UCLA. Frankly, that’s about as weak an excuse as you could offer. Klemm is considered UCLA’s top recruiter, there is no way he is that ignorant of the rules concerning recruits and signees.

Klemm is UCLA’s offensive line coach and associate head coach, and made $760,000 last season, which made him the third-highest paid assistant in the Pac-12. While he’s not regarded as much of an offensive line coach, Klemm’s recruiting prowess is substantial. That might make Bruins head coach Jim Mora hesitant to fire him

Feeling better now?

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Of course none of this looks good, and I have no idea how blatant or ignorant Klemm was of the rules.

but he’s been with Pit for two years already. If these allegations weren’t disqualifying two yrs when he took the asst job, I’m not sure how or why they should be disqualifying now. I don’t recall any stir being raised back then.

I’m not wild about his promotion either, but the hew and cry about this has more to do about displeasure at another internal hire, than the actual violations at UCLA. If they were bring back Munchak, and he had this issue dogging him, no one would care.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    93.7 posted a artical saying, former and current players saying Klemm was the best man for the job, Ididnt read the artical but i would expect them to say that... god forbid anyone in the organzation goes against the grain

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

You’re all so gung-ho to hate this hire. Fact is, we have no idea how he will do but the things I’m hearing about him outweigh a bunch of message board angst.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :shrug: Kinda seems like a guy supporting his friend to me... I dont know anything abt Klemm, and i hope it wrks out.. But i find it strange with all the OL coaches out there the Steelers hire someone from within the ORG........

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We will find out next season.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    College NCAA rules are absolutely ridiculous. You could sneeze at a random time on a random day and get a violation. I'm not worried about that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Didn’t know anything about Klemm either and obviously I hope he succeeds, Canada too.

I don’t mean to be negative, it’s just when you you look at some of the coordinators and coaches the team has had in the past, LeBeau, Munchak, Haley, ie former HC’s with significant NFL experience, these recent hires just look a bit underwhelming. Again, I hope they work out.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The TE coach is an outside hire, you all blown away by that one?

How do you know what kind of friends Foster and Klemm are? I mean most people who recommend others is because they know them on some level and what they can do. And Trai wasn’t here with Klemm and he also said it’s a good hire. They aren’t just saying it’s a good hire, they are giving reasons why, pay more attention to that.

They took like a month to name a OL coach, we know they had at least one outside person in for an interview, probably more. They either felt Klemm was the best man for the job or it’s like I said in another post that they know there will be a new regime next year that will want to bring in their own coaches.

Munchak was never coming back here so I’m not sure who people were expecting to be in awe of.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Same coaches, most of the same players. Hell, Rooney said if he could have everyone back he would.

16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I read the article and it means less than nothing to me. Players like coaches that don't hold them accountable and are buds. The real question that I don't know the answer to is , what the hell did he do last year that made any difference to the performance of the OL because it looked like a total FU top to bottom? I don't care about being a back up coach working with the back up players or taking credit for Dotson who had what he had when he got here because there was no preseason to do anything with. The 2016 article even said no one thought of him as a good OL coach at UCLA. Now we promote him to fix our run game, etc? Hard to make this stuff up. But under the Tomlin regime, very believable.

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Do we get a extra draft pick for promoting him( him being a minorty ) to OL coach? Or is that somthing that has to be done for hireing someone off another team ?

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    True, but the question is why did they interview so many external candidates if this guy was the obvious choice?

Feels like they settled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No, only if they go to another team as HC or GM.