1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers be in rebuild mode?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Meh, thats coach speak. Of course injuries matter and some have them worse than others. We lose Bush, then Spillane who replaces him, lose Bud, then his replacement Highsmith in the playoff game. Banner before the season even started. Bush, Bud, Spillane, Banner were players lost for the year, not out for a few games. I don’t think that’s common place for most teams. Steelers were definitely snakebite last season.

And it’s very likely Ben was dealing with bum knees if that report that surfaced was true, about the team being very concerned about his knees. His decline in play certainly seems to have backed that up.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    To answer the question of the thread:. Yes

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    with a good draft at certain positions and signing a few key FA's, I see this as more of a reload than a rebuild

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I see what you did here. Wonder if Stevie ever saw Blind Melon in concert? Sorry, just had to. Shame on me. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    One caveat is they must be willing to bench Ben if he starts playing like he did at the end. Might not make much difference but can’t keep rolling him out there if he has nothing left.[/QUOTE]

They have not for years running. He's had some bad lumps incurred that needed his ass to be sat. He's had some whoopsies when games weren't yet lost that his ass needed to be sat. While I admire the his desire to hit the field and spread some of the 7 magic, the reality of it all is if you are Messed up sit down and live to fight another day. If it ain't your day, next man up to try to find a spark. That's never been the case. Ben has literally been at times in no better shape than a barrell of smashed azzholes that they'll roll onto the field with zero regard to maintenance/perseverance of the prized horse (his idea mostly I'd assume) nor an eye to the notion of maybe we need a spark and someone else can provide it... Non adjustments/unwillingness to adjust 101.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wonder if Stevie ever squeezed any melons?

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The problem is that he can't with Ben as the QB..I have explained in many threads about how snaps under Center effect the game..I have also went into in some detail how a non mobile QB in the gun limits the play calling .. We have all seen that Ben is just not a great deep ball guy he can't extend plays anymore either ...

I can only see 1 true way to improve the running game if Ben comes back...That way is a multiple QB system putting Ben on the bench often to employ a QB who can take snaps from under Center and can get to the handoff spots and run fakes from those and use the PA game...Ben has stated he doesn't like to turn his back to the D well there goes the entire Bootleg game if he could even run it ... Ben has also stated on numerous occasions he doesn't like to be under Center as he can's read the defense as good..Well there goes any threat of a true running game and the PA that comes from it..

Make no mistake about it with Ben back and the only playing QB we are a short pass only Team with no true threat to run or throw deep..Every DC in the NFL knows this and knows it well...IMO we will probaly look like we are tanking with Ben even though we are not..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2021-2-1_14-27-53.jpeg :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Should they be in rebuild mode? no they shouldn't but due to very bad cap management and bad leadership and an empty suit of an owner we are. Whether you want to admit it or not re are in rebuild mode. Now how long that last depends on how much crack everyone keeps smoking trying to ignore the obvious.

Aging players making a ton of money not playing well anymore with an over the cap team salary in a very tough division = rebuild mode.

Sure we can pretend we aren't, we can slap a few band aids on the wounds to bump us out of a good draft pick for the next year or two but make no mistake about it. we took our shot and mortgaged the future to give Ben and Captain Aviators a few more shots and we crapped out. so start next season or the season after that or the season after that. Rip the bandaid off quick and get over the pain quick or rip it off slowly and enjoy the burn but we are already in rebuild mode. This team can't win a Super Bowl and at the end of the day thats what the whole point of any season is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    thBMKM7EDF.jpg

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No they are going to band aid this effort for Ben's retirement tour...Damn he just threw another pick...

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I stated before if he can stay healthy enough to play he will set the record for pick 6'S ... Every DC is looking at his quick routes watching his feet and shoulders and planning to have a guy in the spot he is going to throw it to....Not only are they doing that they will be setting it up like the return game...Instead of having DL get their hands up they let it go as they know a guy is in place to pick it , so instead of pass rushing or blocking the pass they now become lead blockers...

It is going to look real bad next season people need to get they mind right.. The season should read..'All ye who enter here with Big Ben abandon all hope'...

14. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I’m not even sure if it’s a question of ‘should be’. On offence they are in full-on rebuild mode whether they like it or not. They need multiple OL, a QB, a TE, at least 1 RB. Ideally they need a legit number 1 WR too, but at the moment the WR position is the lowest priority.

Unless they get lucky and hit big time on multiple picks there are some lean years ahead. On the bright side that should accelerate the rebuild.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like our nucleus and as someone else said with proper drafting and
    acquisitions I think we could compete for a playoff spot.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, I’ll never enter a season that way. I’ll hope for a good draft, hope that they make enough improvements to the line and that Klemm is a good coach, I’ll hope Ben’s drop in play was due mainly to injuries and that they surround him with a good ground game and that Canada implements a good game plan and makes sure Ben doesn’t throw the ball 50 times a game.

I pity fans that go into a season with no hope, that’s for Browns fans the last 30 years. Half the fun of being a fan is looking forward to the next season and Steelers more often than not, reward me with a competitive season and playoff birth.

They need to get past this damn 1 and done business though.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    By their actions to date, they think they can still win. I'd be one happy mutha if they did, but in my heart of hearts, I don't even think they have a playoff team with all the positions that need attention, plus the salary cap crunch. All they are really doing is putting off the inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 1