1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Recent "mock drafts" recently have the Steelers 1st choice as either an OL or RB... I don't see it..

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by LASteelerFan, Jan 29, 2021.

1. LASteelerFan

LASteelerFan Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Wasting the 1st round pick on EITHER an OL or a RB, like many mock drafts recently have had the Steelers doing... would be a COMPLETE mistake IMHO... when they are positions like the WR position, when LOTS of good players can be found in later rounds as well... If I'm the "Steelers", I would take defensive skill players in the 1st round... and maybe a QB or TE if a good one falls to them... and that's bout it. This year... THESE would be my mock draft choices... with an emphasis on the positions, not necessarily the players... the Steelers should take the BEST player available, at the positions indicated: Round 1 & 2... QB, LB, DT, Edge, Round 3, 4 & 5... TE, OL, DT or overall best available player, Round 6 & 7... RB, WR...

With the intention of taking 2OL, 2DT, 1 Edge, 1LB, 1TE, and 1RB or WR... Thoughts?

1. Zavin Collins LB (Tulsa) or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB (ND)

2. Patrick Jones II, EDGE, (Pitt) or Jordan Davis, DT, (Georgia)

3. Hunter Long, TE (BC) or Xavier Thomas, EDGE, (Clemson)

4. (1) Naquan Jones, DT, (MSU) of Josh Ball, OT (Marshall)

(2) Zion Johnson, OL, (BC) or Trey Hill, OL, (Georgia)

5. (1) Kayode Awosika, OT, (Buffalo) or Drake Jackson, OL (Kentucky)

(2) Brandon Pili, DT (USC) or Cade Mays, OL (Tennessee)

6. None

7. Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech or Javian Hawkins, RB, Louisville

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well the team does need help at OT, and RB so taking one in the first round isn't a bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The depth is there to get a T in the 2nd, holes and lack of quality depth are everywhere so taking an ILB in the first would not shock me. I do not agree saying taking a T in the first would be a mistake however, if you see someone accomplished that can hold down that spot for 10 years you pull the trigger. A RB in the first is not popular as many think you can find a RB anywhere, but Najee is a top potential talent that provides options we have not seen since Bell. Not as keen on that, but can see why they might draft him at 24.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    While the depth is there, that is the major issue that many people tend to ignore. The most successful NFL Franchises have been as successful as they have been because they never chase positions. They chase players based on their abilities relative to their peers.

Case in point?! Drafting position over player is what ultimately leads to teams like the 2008 Detriot Lions or the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Such a strategy never works as such resources are wasted. Whatever the board determines will be who the Steelers pick. With some notable exceptions, always has been and always will be.

For that matter, the last time the Steelers went for position over player, that player turned out to be arguably the biggest 1st Round Fall from grace in Steelers History by the name of Artie Burns.

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think there's so many holes that taking the BPA regardless of position is the best route to go. The draft seems deep in our positions of need: CB, OT, C and RB. If the BPA is a corner, gotta take a corner. There's so many different strategies we can do here to fill needs while taking the BPA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

The major reason the media constantly mocks an Offensive Tackle to the Steelers has more to it than just mere need. Offensive Tackle in this class is the deepest in the entire draft. Granted, it does not have nearly the talent the 2020 Draft Class did but the depth for both is comparable.

That said, if Jaycee Horn is at pick 24 with all other Offensive Tackle options exhausted, get him please. No guarantee that Haden is even going to be on the roster by then; doubly so for either Hilton/Sutton.

7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I personally think trading down to about 35-40 and picking up a 2nd 3rd round pick really opens up the possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bush. Where we chased him to the tune of a first, second and third rounder for a guy that frankly hasn't lived up to giving that much up. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And before him, Jarvis Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

It also cost them Dan Marino, because they took Mark Malone two years earlier.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did say notable exceptions. Dan Marino falls under this.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Too early on Bush. He was really showcasing his potential against Cleveland before his ACL was torn. Hard to say what he will look like come 2021. We will have to wait and see.

That said, Cameron McGrone is definitely someone who I would invest some time in if I were you.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am still trying to figure out how on Gods Green Earth that Kevin Colbert thought that Jarvis Jones was a good idea. Never mind the tape; clearly schematic to say the least, those back issues should have been a major medical red flag. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no thanks aql. Over rated Michigan player like bush. I know Bush's script is not complete but that's three top picks for not a lot of return. Not a difference maker. We used one pick on watt. DPOY. I'm still on the Surratt train. It's only his third year at the position in 2021 but the instincts are thsre. Ex QB. Vince gotta go. We can do better. He'll help Bush be better as well. We have to fix the middle of the field.
    I

. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What about Dylan Moses?! At worst, he is a more rangy Vince?! Would not mind having him paired up with Bush.

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If Travis ettienne or najee Harris were to miraculously be available at 24, it would be extremely difficult to pass up

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take either back from the buckeyes or either from North carolina, Doak from cinci. There are a lot of good backs in this one. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Absolutely, but ettienne and Harris are the only 2 I'd look at in the first round

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    RB, NAJEE
    OL, Mean & Ornery
    OL Ditto
    ILB 245 that can cover receivers /TE
    OLB 260 Big motor play mean rush the QB
    CB Must be able to play man to man.
    SS Likes to hit people

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You forgot TE

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. LASteelerFan

LASteelerFan Member

Jan 29, 2021
    My point is that the Steelers should go for VALUE at their respective picks... and RB's and OL's drafted in the 1st round can be huge BUSTS... NOT to mention that REALLY GOOD talent at those positions can be found in later rounds. I believe the BEST VALUE in the 1st round, would be defensive skill players who have the size, speed and quickness... that can't be taught or developed. Rounds 3-5 are great places to pick up OL talent. What's more, 1) You cant rebuild the entire OL with ONE 1st round pick, even IF he is a stud... 2) GREAT RB's can blow out a knee, and be DONE... and WR's can make an impact... but, ALL PRO's like Antonio Brown, Hines Ward, Ju Ju Smith Schuster, and Chase Claypool were not 1st round picks... BUT an IMPACT DT, Edge Rusher, LB or DB that CAN change a defense... usually are 1st round talents !

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If there is a stud LT on the board at #24, I think you have to take him over a defensive player, but if all the good OL are gone I would take Najee Harris.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  24. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    LT in end one n center/G in 2nd or 3rd if. Value is there - between those 2 picks, DD, Dotson, Banner, n Chuks should be able to field quality ol n upgrade

RB in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

ILB OLB DT CB n S all need help w BPA and we know they will take a wr which is fine

Can't fill all holes on a single draft, but 2 OL as above would get ol rebuild flying

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For me, Etienne is more likely to slip in this draft due to the high demand and likely run on QB, OT, CB, EDGE and WR. That said, how far will he fall will be interesting as he is a Top 20 Player in this class. Only thing for me that keeps him out of being within the leagues of previous runners like Saquon and Christian is that Etienne does not have the immeasurable athletic ability and tremendous receiving ability those two have when they came out.

Now, Najee Harris?! He is at pick 24. Easy and no sweat. However, who else is there will be important as well.