1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What are real expectations for next year or two?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    TJ's salary cap hit will lower next season, and the cap takes off in 2022 and beyond.

Who wants to tell him?

As opposed to his first two seasons?

This is a real fear - if the last six games of Ben was the ceiling in 2021, then we'll be picking very high in 2022. Maybe it's good he's coming back.

They're going to extend his contract to lower his cap hit. If he refuses, they cut him and lower it the hard way.

Or vice versa.

Too many holes to fill, only shot at being competitive IMO is in my 1992 thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Bless your heart.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Ram's and I am sure of alot of other teams feel otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    The schedule looks brutal really depends on who we replace , with current RB scenario and O line i say we’re looking at 4 wins maybe 5. I say the team is more like the end of season not the beginning

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    4 win team? Cmon lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They were trying to lose games long before they started losing, too. Next year they won't have as many teams like Denver, Dallas, and Baltimore's B-team bailing them out.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Somewhere around 500. Think I would prefer a couple crappy years though

8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    They need to have a 5/6 win season to get the QB of the future with a top 10 pick

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Ytownsteeler and everyone else.

Again, this is me, obviously in the minority as far as optimism.

ESTABLISH THE RUN: Fix the Offensive-Line and ALL related to it. We have a Passing Game in place.

ALL:

• Offensive Linemen first two picks. Find free Agent as well. Guys that can just plain jack-up people and move the pile. Not that hard to find. Easiest position to transition from College to Pros.
    • Get a decent RB upgrade. A "Punishing" Running Back that can get one lousy yard when called upon. We have enough "finesse" in the WR Department. Ben still has enough toys to throw too even if juju leaves. RB like O-Line Men are the easiest to make Collegiate "Transition".

• Get a "Blocking" Tight End that can help out when needed in Passing Game. More of a luxury per se. Again to sure-up our new and improved Running Game with a complimentary attitude. Mark Bruener type.

• Now the harder part: Quality OL Coach and Offensive Coordinator. I just do not know what to say here.
    Defensive Woes that have to be fixed.

• Bush and Dupree. Bush more likely than Dupree may be ready for Season Opener. However, how effective will he be if ready? This Defense was really fast before injuries. I mean really fast. In the opposing Teams' backfields all day long for "Lunch Dates". I loved it. So, at least one out those two positions has to be addressed with an equal if not better plug and play guy. Williamson and Spillane were good but just "Stop Gap".

In summary, the fixes are pretty quick IMO. Again, Offensive Linemen and Running Backs are the easiest positions to transition from College to the Pros. The Defense can do it for at least one more year but at least one major upgrade for either Bush or Dupree has to take place.

I just do not see us being that far off folks. I will not get deep into the Ben thing as I have driven my point home countless times over the past month with very little support here. The short though, he will be back better and stronger from a Two-Year injury Recovery. So many Ben doubters. I have read your positions. Some, I agree with but not enough to convince me that he will not be back and good to go.

And of course, the "Big Elephant in the Room", Mr. Tomlin. Can he finally get out of Cowher's Shadow with his own Brand? His Trademark? He certainly has had the talent the past eight years or so. None of Cowher's players except Ben. I am pulling for him. He is the Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. i have to cheer for him until the next person comes in. Given that, and again, to emerge from behind Cowher's Shadow, he has to win it all. With "His" Team.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Are we counting only two exhibition games? I didn't realize they started playing 17 games a season with the option to win or lose one more,.... LOL

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like a lot of this but have to disagree with Oline transition to the pros being easy. Complete opposite, blocking in college is way easier than the pros.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/25/...sive-line-prospects-evaluation-geoff-schwartz

Thats a great article on lineman. 1st thing many lineman have to learn is playing in a 3 point stance, they also have to learn more in terms of assignments, not just their own but their teammates. Then a very important point the article highlights, lack of practice time hurts lineman the most. As with many college players at any position, raw talent gets them bye but in the pros, lineman probably suffer more than anyone when they can’t rely on talent alone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this is why i still believe they guys we had here for a year or two on the PS are very valuable to us. they have been learning already. people think they are just not talented because they were on the PS but most of our line has been made up of these players for years now. these guys have talent or they wouldn't be where they are at this point. many times they sit there behind already established starters. you draft and teach and let the guys that already have some pro teaching take the lead first, especially in our situation this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was responding to someone who said “After going 1-17 the Steelers”

Assume what you wish.

14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nah, I was right with you. I was trying to figure out the 1-17 myself. Let alone 17 game season. I guess they didn't realize it is 16 games in 17 weeks. Or, they were just confused by our 12-5 record (including the playoff loss)

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast.

I hear what you are saying. I guess the way I am looking at it is just "Man"-"Man". Just old-fashion I am here Mr. Defensive Tackle and I am going to "Blow you up." "Strength" vs. "Strength" in its rawest and simplest form and my Running Back is going be coming right behind me. "Now, come and see if you can stop me (us)." I know that there is a lot more to it than that, given "Scheming" and "Technique" when it comes to Offensive Line Play. However, again, just Down, Dirty and Nasty Smash Mouth, 1-1, "Sandlot Ball". Football in its simplest and rawest form. You against me and let's see who gets the best of the other.

Big, Country Grown, Road Graters that will "Mow Down" anyone in their path and a Running Back built from the same Mindset and Prototype. Makes me want to go out there and take a handoff from Ben and run behind this new "Re-Built" Offensive Line (smile).

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There was discussion that next year is a 17 game season

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I see the Steeler's front office banging their collective heads against the wall, asking..."why did we bring Ben back?"

18. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Serious question....are you Ben's mom?

[​IMG]

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m "old time" too. Seen and remember the entire run and a Steeler fan since `72. It took management a long time between Bradshaw and Ben to figure out defense alone does not win championships. No franchise QB = no Super Bowl in the NFL, with nearly no exceptions. Ben is past prime, so we essentially have no franchise QB at this time.

Yes. Rough years of futility lie ahead, as far as Super Bowl championships go, until we find the next elite QB. The best we can hope for until then is to be a token playoff team here and there as the years pass by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    See what happens next year.
    Let the people that have expiring contracts walk.

Hire Eric Bieniemy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Junebug.

Funny. All good (smile). Seriously though, as I stated, this is/was a "Major" injury. As a broken record here, I think some folks here are missing the key components that lead to my optimism. Broken record again here.
    • Get a Running Game and Balance this offense with improving: OL, RB, Blocking TE, OL Coach and OC. All need upgrades.
    • Ben's arm was not a "Spit" and "Rub Dirt" on it injury. It should be a lot better with another year of healing and rehabilitation.

That is it for me.

I am remaining optimistic, from both a science/medical standpoint, and admittedly, some emotion in regards to Ben's elbow and knee.

Actually and again, my bigger concern is Management and fixing the Running Game and all above that I mentioned that must be addressed.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Best case scenario for next year...

Claypool and McFarland start their evolution into stars
    Ben has a QB rating over 90
    JuJu re-signs with the team and greatly improves his YPC (hopefully new OC will help)
    Defense stays mostly healthy (i.e., no season ending injuries)
    Hilton & Sutton return

If all those things happen this could be a 12 win team again. More likely it's a 7-9 reloading season, however.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If only franchise qbs grew on trees. It really sucks that the NFL is all about your qb anymore.

:puking 3:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    They are very important, absolutely. But it takes a lot more than just one position to win it all.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Your not winning anything without one anymore. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1