1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stafford

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 23, 2021.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He's the reason they didn't win the sb. He's a decent starter but will never be that guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We’re going to have to give up the first for the next three years if we want Watson

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, I don't know what people are laughing at. I would do this trade in a heartbeat also. The league is in the business of protecting QBs not DEs which is why Watson can be an impact on this team well into his late 30s while TJ may be out of the league by his early 30s. To not even consider it is asinine in my opinion. The Steelers could send TJ and Derek as a packaged deal and maybe the Texans could throw in David Johnson.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Goff's contract is worse. It also runs through 2024. The Rams can be done with Stafford after the 2022 season. That was part to the reason for the high price tag.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, part of the compensation is a divorce settlement from that horrible Goff contract. Rams are done with him now for a relatively manageable dead cap hit. They couldn’t trade him because of his guarantees, Detroit now assume a lot of those and he will be a bridge QB for a year or two. They’ll probably trade up for somebody in the draft this year or next. This is a good deal for Detroit.

For the Rams, is the upgrade from Goff to Stafford worth what they are giving up? I am not so sure that it is. We will see

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow I can't believe the Rams gave up that much for Stafford... I guess if they win a SB or 2 it's worth it,, anything short of that seems like a failure IMO...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I saw this deal at 5 this morning and laughed, and laughed. Insane! I'm sorry that's some crazy S###. Stafford has major back issues. They best wrap him in bubble wrap. Two 1sts?????:roflmao:and throw in a 3rd and Goff????? :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the Steelers can improve the run game, then maybe Ben won't have to carry the offense, and throw 40-50 times a game he might be more effective.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And Steelers fans want them to trade for Watson, yeah that's not happening :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Goff is extremely cuttable after 2022, arguably after next season. Detroit was gonna rebuild anyway, now they have more picks.

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Think about this. All told, the Rams have wasted 4 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and 3 third round picks on Goff when you factor in what the trade up to draft him cost and what it cost to get rid of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    One thing you have to give the Rams is that they are not afraid to own their mistakes and move on. Cutting Gurley and now paying Detroit to swallow Goffs contract, most other teams would have doubled down and just tried their best to make it work with them.

They now have Ramsey, Donald, Stafford, Woods, Akers and Cupp locked up for several years and they’ll have some money to spend next year. They’ll have to pick well in those later draft rounds now to backfill their roster but if this trade puts them in a position to compete for a Super Bowl they won’t care about the picks.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Who ever is running that organization made some major risks. They've give up a lot of first round picks for players over the years. When will it come crashing down on them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You may not have to wait long to find out

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Staffords cap hits do not come close to Geoff’s. The rams over paid a bit so the lions would take that contract.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprising. I recognize that Goff’s contract was an albatross around the Rams’ neck. However, it’s not like Stafford is a Super Bowl winning star. He’s a solid QB who has put up good numbers mostly coming from behind on a mediocre team. He hasn’t elevated the play of the players around him.

My big question is: is Goff’s contract so bad that they couldn’t get a better deal that doesn’t mortgage the future from anyone else, or do the Rams see something in Stafford that he’s never come close to proving?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What would you give for a 39 yr old QB whose health is extremely questionable, can't move, can't get under center, can't throw down field with any zip, and has to dink and dunk because of the above and currently has the arm of a high school sophomore, and was outplayed against the same team by his back up? I saw a poll on this board about whether Ben should be our starter next year and the majority said NO. And you think we'll get what for Ben?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    And that'll never happen so why bother thinking about it? Ben is back next year and our next "franchise" QB is still playing college somewhere.

19. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Not all fans by a long shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

It essentially is "Russian Roulette" here regarding the contracts for the Rams. Either way, Stafford is going to ask for more money in the future; doubly so if his performance in 2021 is great. Should his performance continue, 2023 is when Matthew's contract expires and he will be 35 by that time.

Granted, anything can happen between now and then. That said, what is LA's future plan here?!?! Wishing on a hope and a prayer that a top flight QB will fall to them in the upcoming drafts?!?!

Never mind any of that though. The LA Rams are now officially going to be about $77 Million in total dead cap space for the next two years; $42.2 Million for both Stafford and Goff in 2021 and then $34.75 Million for both in 2022. Talk about putting one's eggs in a basket!! :eek:

For Sean McVay, I hope for his sake this move does indeed yield something more than a Championship Round exit. If not, yikes!! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Both are immense cap hits all the same. Anything over $20 Million in Dead Cap, doubly so due to the uncertainty of the upcoming Salary Cap, is going to be immense.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

L.A. is playing one heck of a game here. Hope to whatever God or Deity they believe they draft well in the future. Not only that, best hope that Matthew Stafford gets you to no where less than a Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Where are you getting those dead cap figures? My reading of it is that they’ll have approx $30m total dead cap in 2021 from the departures of Goff and Gurley, but they are in the clear from 2022.

Presumably they will extend Stafford’s contract once he is officially signed to lessen the 2021 hit and push money out. I don't think their cap situation is anywhere near as perilous as you have outlined above.

They do need to draft well though or they will be in trouble in the future.

Bottom line, McVay was done with Goff. He couldn’t run the offence he wanted with him and they don’t have time to develop somebody behind him with Donald, Ramsey and their other stars in their prime and ready to win now. This is a gamble, but maybe one worth taking.

24. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Ben throws it 40-50 times a game because he WANTS to, period. Steelers can rebuild o line n get a much better back n I feel he will still want n try to chuck it all over the yard

That's the issue w Ben, his talent has declined, but he wants/needs to throw ball to get yards tds etc. for some type of validation or NFL media to put him above everyone but Marsha, Again IMHO

An RPO is a PPO to him, imo

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Stafford doesn’t bring them a SB, this will go down with one of the worst trades like the Hershel Walker, trade.

Worked great for Dallas though and I suspect that Detroit will be the winner of this one.

• Agree Agree x 1