1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Party like it's 1992

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Or 2004, if you will. If the Steelers want to compete with Ben next season, they need a total revamping of the offense. Draft OL, RB, TE. Trade back if you can and get more.

They can't win shootouts anymore, but they can (if built properly) be a better version of the Titans with a better QB than Tannehill.

Question is, can they find the linemen and can Ben cooperate? This would involve de-emphasizing him and asking him to do things he doesn't like, e.g. under center, play action, etc.

If they do this, the D doesn't have to be #1, just top ten and opportunistic re: sacks/turnovers/red zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We have holes all over the team. We are not going to become a better version of the Titans in 1 year, and I don't think Ben is better than Tannehill at this point.

We also are unlikely to build up our Oline enough and draft a stud bellcow RB. Plus the Titans created a culture of running the ball and will always stick with it. Our coaches won't do that

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As a Pirate fan I sure didn't like this thread's title.

OP, were you thinking of that cool Prince song, party like it's 1999????

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Creating a balanced offence that can run the ball has to be the priority, Canada has his work cut out. They are old at key spots including LT, QB, Center, and they don’t have a running back.

I think it’s a multi year project, very hard to fix everything in one draft and with no money for free agency. Depending on rookies to come in and make an immediate impact at multiple positions is not realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I hear ya. Sid Bream was out at the plate. Too bad there wasn't instant replay back then. I was living in Atlanta at the time and was the only Pirate fan among 500+ Braves fans. Never should have pulled Doug Drabek out of that game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Barry Foster, Eric Green and Neil O'Donnell. They pissed me off and were one and done that year just like this year. Didn't the Steelers have the #1 seed in '92? Bills whooped them... Cowher's rookie season. I didn't think I'd ever hate a team more than the early 90's Bills and then the Patriots happened in the 00's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would kill for Eric Green on this team right now!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011

".......as Sid Bream rounds 3rd.........." :facepalm:

(According to Andy Van Slyke, he motioned to Bonds to move in right before this play to have a better shot at throwing out Bream at the plate on a hit to the outfield and Bonds flipped him off. Bonilla in right and Andy in Center very likely could have thrown Bream out at the plate.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Loved green what a monster. Unfortunately he like the snow to much...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Cowher rebuilt that team's image in one offseason. Naturally, most of our coaches remain, but OC, OL, and TE coaches will be new. Rooney has reiterated his commitment to the run.

The Steelers went from 17th the year before to 4th in rushing in 1992, and it wasn't because of a talent influx, it was a change in attitude, commitment, and philosophy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So you are saying Cowher won with Noll's players...sorry had to say it, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Lol, yes, with a team that had 1 playoff appearance in the previous 7 years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure if they were the top seed. The league still had just six divisions then. All three division champions in the AFC went 11-5 in the regular season, so it's not like the Steelers were huge favorites. If I remember correctly, O'Donnell was just coming back from an injury. He played horribly in that game, though the Steelers didn't really have much of a passing game in '92. They didn't have a single receiver catch even 50 passes. Green missed most of the season and caught only 14 passes. Barry Foster had his one truly great season that year.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Though I trust Andy Van Slyke about as far as I can throw a school bus, that story sounds about right.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The 1991 Steelers ran the ball plenty, but the change in philosophy was a big part of it. Noll was still relying on the fullback as his primary rusher. It also helped that Foster had a year of experience and he was healthier in 1992. Instead of relying on the trap game, Cowher went with more I-formation runs with Foster and it worked.

16. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017