1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I understand. Wasn’t trying to be argumentative. To me it just looks like media management 101, AR2 has probably told Ben he can come back if he wants. They know that a lot of the fan base want to move on from him so they are trying to manage the narrative, i.e. they’ll redo the contract in a team friendly way and everything will be fine. No coincidence that both Ben and AR2 are talking to the media about it on the same day.

When you start peeling back the onion, Ben still gets his money in full, it’s just spread out in to the future. That was the only way he was ever coming back, and it’s how the team has always managed veteran contracts. There is no story here really. Just reading your last line, that’s exactly how they want it to sound, to get the fans back on side.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure I buy the assumption that the team and Roethlisberger are lying to make it look good, then kicking the can down the road again. It's possible, but there are a lot of fans just assuming the worst right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If you are referring to me I never said that they were lying, spinning might be more accurate. Bens camp is putting it out there that he is willing to do a restructure, as if that is a sacrifice on his part to benefit the team.

It may work out well for everyone if that happens, only time will tell.

I actually looked at AR2’s direct quotes since, and to be honest he doesn’t say much of anything, just that Ben wants to come back and the contract situation needs to be looked at if that is to happen, which was blatantly obvious in any case. Some factions of the media seem to be adding their own angle by floating a pay cut. AR2 did not broach that at all as far as I can see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Spinning is the right word. A reduction in Ben’s 2021 cap hit can be spun in a way that makes the majority of fans think it’s a pay cut when it’s not.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    ... according to a report on Skip and Shannon show this morning.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know a lot of you understand the cap stuff better than I, so feel free to correct anything that I might get wrong.

from what I understand, Bens cap hit is $41M, $22M of that is from spread out signing bonus that has already been paid, $19M is salary and bonus that gets paid this yr under current contract.

if Ben takes a pay cut, it will only come out of $19M, the $22M hit is still there. So if Ben takes a 50% pay cut (it’s hard to imagine he’d take more) with no extention, they’d save $9.5M under this years cap. And be free from any additional cap hit in 2022 and beyond.

if they extend Ben for say 2 yrs, doesn’t that give the Steelers an opportunity to reduce the $22M part of the hit and spread it over the remaining years? Does it turn this yrs $22M hit, into $7.33M in each of 2021, 2022 and 2023? The restructure saves over$14M for this yrs cap, but kicks the can down the road.

if this is right, and I have no idea if it is, they almost have to extend Ben to max the cap saving. If they think they can make a final run ‘21 (I think they’re wrong,) the only way to get enough cap space tokeep the band together is to restructure Ben, even if he’s willing to take a real pay cut.

thoughts?

7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Those two dildo's don't know ****.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not trying to be a jerk, but we probably didn't need another thread for this. There's more than a few Ben threads around.

9. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Well it wasn't them that reported that it's all over sporting news ESPN and several other places.

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I had no doubts especially after they picked up Haskins. Welcome back Ben. Now get to the gym and film room pronto.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The amount deferred for cap purposes depends on the length of the extension. If his $15 million roster bonus is converted to a signing bonus and spread over 2021 and 2022 (1 year extension), it becomes a $7.5 million cap hit for each year. If the extension is 2 years, and the $15 million is spread over 3 years, it becomes $5 million per year for cap purposes. His $4 million salary would be treated similarly if it's restructured, BUT the $4 million is currently not guaranteed, and restructuring it guarantees the dollars that are pushed down the road for cap purposes (thus increasing future dead money).

• Like Like x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Im glad he is comeing back, now for those that wanted him gone lets see how many will be singing his praises, nxt year,,,,

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    In other news, the Steelers are petitioning the NFL to allow Roethlisberger to have the ball placed on a tee, so at the snap count, he can just take the ball off the tee and throw, cutting his release time in half, so defenders won't be able to get their hands up to knockdown passes. Projections are that Claypool would average 1.4 yards per catch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Why start now?

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh and get a personal Chef who can cook healthy Super Foods ..Call Tom Brady he can help get you in touch with the right person...

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Last run might as well go all in ..lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Ben MAY come back. Art already said yesterday that they will have to look at changing his current contract. Both sides would need to agree on it. Art stated that as it stands now they can’t have him back at his current contract.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You know you have a point about batted balls we may want to get some Body Punching Boxers instead of NFL OL ...We not going to run anyway so we need OL that will keep the DL from raising their hands..What better way than Boxers beating the crap out of their Ribs...

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

This isn’t going to cut it. Sorry but anything that doesn’t get the cap hit down to at least 15 million for this year isn’t good enough.

It should be pay cut or no deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ben's batted balls are all due to his immobility and not moving side to side in the pocket like he used to. It's all about his old knees, that hurts him more then people realize including himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Add the elbow.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The balls hang lower when you get older so they're easier to bat.

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, he is chasing that playoff interception record...

24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    There was an early career video analysis that I vaguely remember, that pointed out how Ben's pocket movement was underrated. (At the time, most people were focusing on him being difficult to sack.)

The analyst showed a play with the receiver (currently covered) crossing the middle. The receiver gets separation a second later, but the pass towards the left might be batted down by the DL in the way. On that play, Ben took one step forward-right (while the receiver is still covered), and created an open lane for the pass a second later.

So he was very good at anticipating when to pass in the future, and moving a few steps to improve the passing lane. Bad knees hinders that ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Is this one of those definite maybe's that the media gags up?