1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 27, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Steelers are talking to James campen. He was the chargers oline coach last year. He was green bays online coach for many years. He and Roberts should know each other well so this could be a good hire if it's done. It should help with the transition. I hope it happens.:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This would be a good addition to the coaching staff. I guess this means they won't be talking to Abe Froman from Chicago.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He's not hired yet.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac.

It seems that the consensus around here, according to the number of OL threads that I have seen, that the O-line and everything "Branching Off" of it is our #1 priority. I wrote extensively about this a few weeks ago. As you may recall, it pertained to us having an "Imbalanced" Offense that was highly Pass-Dependent because we could not establish a Running Game. This was mostly due to our inept Offensive Line. I will say it until the cows come home. The O-Line has to be of priority this off-season. Meaning the:
    • O-Line Personnel
    • O-Line Coach
    • OC
    • Running Back(s)
    • Well-Rounded Tight End
    All of these things above are going to play a role in getting this thing corrected. People can blame Ben all they want. However, even with a "Healthy" Ben but no Running Game to speak of, we were doomed eventually. And honestly, our Running Game was near non-existent. Just anemic. With over four decades of Steelers' fandom under my belt, I can not recall ever seeing such a weak running attack such as this season's. I know, you know how this goes mac. It is Football 101. It is about a "Balanced" Offensive Attack. We have a terrific set of "Pass Catchers".

Even if JuJu leaves, which will hurt for sure, we still have the following to "Catch" the ball.
    • Claypool
    • Washington
    • Ebron
    • Johnson
    Those four alone should be good enough to still give us a formidable passing attack. Plus, if we can continue to draft well at the WR position maybe we keep our success at that going. All of the above mentioned can be that 10-Catches/100+ Yards/2-TD Guy on any day.

Also, McCloud was good and then faded. We also need to find a True TE. Ebron is not that guy. More like a very good WR. Even then, he has to get more serious about his "Craft". He can catch. Not consistent at times but he is very athletic. Ben has a good rapport with him. Nonetheless, we need that true TE (ala Heath Miller). So maybe Ebron just ends up picking up a lot of JuJu's slack and we find that True TE, which will also help in the Running Game. I am sad to see McDonald go. Underutilized IMO. Unfortunately, we had to hybrid him and Ebron to get the one "Prototype" TE that we needed. Ebron-Catch/McDonald-Block. We need a True TE that can do both.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There's our potential Green Bay connection!

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Ebron actually creates a problem for our run game. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Seriously, I would just line him up as a Wide Out, or only bring him in on Red Zone. We shouldn't let him hurt the run game like that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Da Stellars.

More and more I am considering Ebron as another Wide receiver. He has the stature for it and is athletic enough for the position. It seems too much like hope that he develops the "Blocking" skills that are needed to be a true Steelers' Tight End. With that said, and again if juJu leaves, at least the hole will not be totally vacant as Ebron can fill it. As I listed below we have the following Pass Catchers still left if JuJu leaves:
    • Claypool
    • Washington
    • Ebron
    • Johnson
    Hopefully, we continue on a good role with the Draft and pick-up another quality WR. I would like to get a "Bookend" prototype that would match in size and athleticism with Claypool. On the Free Agency list I would love to see Larry Fitzgerald line up with us. It would seem that the the man keeps his body in shape and is nothing but class. He would be a good fit here for a 1-2 year stint. For what it is worth, and usually not much, but he did play his College ball here as we know. Maybe some sentimentalism would be a driving force to bring him to us. I know fans talk about these scenarios all the time however, they usually never materialize. Nonetheless, I still think that Larry Fitzgerald and Claypool "Bookending" at times would be interesting.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    At least this candidate has quality NFL experience.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    didn't we hire canada ?

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He killed our red zone running this year. There were times that not only didn't he block well, but completely missed his block. I really don't know if I've seen a... this high priced of a TE ,on this team , block so bad. Outside of that . I like the kid.:smiley1::smiley1::smiley1:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    hi freak. where the heck you been. been awhile. welcome back. yes we did hire canada as an offensive coordinator but this is for offensive line coach.:cool:

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i was pissed after the jax beat us in the playoffs madebecome speechless!
    hi everybody

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey Freak welcome back.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree Ebron's blocking skills are a joke, but blaming him alone on red zone (and short yardage O) is a bit misplaced. The entire package of plays, execution, and timing were about as inept as I have ever seen. Ebron and Chase alone should have presented nightmares for defenses in the red zone, instead we try and use him as a blocker and the entire line and FB (when used) are pushed 3 yards back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ebron can't block...But neither can Big Al, Pouncey, or DD

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Welcome back Freak, long time no see (2017 to be exact). I stayed away from anything football related for the whole offseason after the Jacksonville loss, but I got dragged back in when preseason came around. Hope all is going well with you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good to see you, Freak!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok you people that follow, the OL profession, apparently the Steelers can't
    pull the trigger on an OL coach can you give them names of qualified OL coaches
    that could address our current situation going forward.

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This is what happens when your coaches put players in position to fail, like asking LBs to cover WRs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Welcome back, look forward to seeing your contributions on this board. However, I am wondering; if you left because of the Jax fiasco, what influenced you to return after an even worse beat down by the Clowns? I believe that in the next several months, chaos will perhaps reign in the Steelers organization. It should be an interesting off season.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    harry hiestand
    james campen - who we supposedly talked to
    ben wilkerson

these are my top 3 so far. campen would be familiar with our new TE coach since they worked together at the chargers last year. :cool:

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you surprised they have not signed a OL coach as of today?
    They are really looking in my opinion, they are looking for a certain individual as I stated
    in my thread the very most important hire.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the top two have had a lot of long time success. :cool:

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t know much about him but this is still very uninspiring. They are not good enough to promote from within

• Agree Agree x 1