1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Closer Than You Think

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rukus4ever, Oct 17, 2012.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Everyone seems to think that the Ravens are so far ahead of the Steelers.

I disagree. Let's take a look...

The only difference between Steelers and Ravens are two games, a piece: Steelers=Raiders,Titans; Ravens=Browns,Cowboys.

What? Yes.

The only difference is that the Raiders and Titans managed last ditch effort scores against the Steelers, but the Browns and Cowboys failed at similar attempts.

On the complete flip side of all four games, the records would be: Steelers=4-1, Ravens-3-3
    If both teams split those two games we'd have: Steelers=3-2, Ravens=4-2

There are only small differences that separate these two teams, based on these games... If you look at it, closely, the Ravens would probably have lost if they have played the Raiders/Titans based on the last score scenarios. The only reason they beat the Browns/Cowboys was because those two teams failed to execute. Otherwise, the Ravens were not stopping them. Conversely, Raiders/Titans did execute.

That's the only difference.

It's not all bad, people. Steelers just need small tweaks and tighter focus/discipline.

2. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You're right no team in the AFC North looks good. The Ravens have the Texans (after they just took a beat down and without Webb and Lewis). And we have the Bengals, the future could look a brighter on Monday.

3. SteelerLady

SteelerLady Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I am going to do my absolute best to remain optimistic!

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But the Rats only practice for the Steelers, they know our D better than our own players. (according to Harrison lol)

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Me, too! It has been REALLY hard lately but I will try!! :yeehaw:

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I live in Toronto, home of the worst sports teams on the planet. The Steelers worst season is still better than the garbage we get stuck with here, so I'm still in for the ride. I jumped aboard in the 80's , back then the team that hit the most won, I didn't pay attention to the score lol In my books Pitts went undefeated in that era ( if you were keeping score of the punishing hits on D)

7. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm always optimistic! ;-) (after a win). After a loss, not so much!

8. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This weekend will tell alot about our division. Can we step up and beat a Bengals team that just lost to the Browns and needs a win to not fall even further behind in the division, 0-2. Can the Steelers start the climb back into the division with a win? Can the Ratbirds recover from two significant losses on defense to beat a Houston team that got worked on Monday night? After this weekend things could be a lot rosier for the Steelers if we can find a way to beat the Bengals and the Texans beat the Ratbirds.

I hope we can say 1-0 in the AFC North after this weekend!!

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We are not dead yet.

That being said, unless we get this fixed we will be.

1. Special teams must improve coverage and have no more blocks.
    2. Defense must learn to get off the field on 3rd down.
    3. Offense....TDs not FGs.

10. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm with you 100% on this.

11. HawkeyeJames

Oct 26, 2011
    If those 3 things happen and we don't get any more injuries we could be a force to reckon with by year end. If none of those things happen we could be picking top 5 in the upcoming draft. That is the wacky part about this season we seem to be at each end of the spectrum. One week look really good, the next look awful.

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Close is meaningless.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Funny, when the Steelers were winning close games against bad team the last few years, it was sign of toughness, character, grit, the ability to come through in the clutch. Now that they are losing close games (and the Ravens are winning theirs), it's meaningless, just dumb luck.

Times change and attitudes change with them.

14. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You know the saying... Close only matters horseshoes and hand grenades. ;)

It's good that we are close but at the end of the day (and season), it is meaningless. Case in point... we were close against the Broncos last season the playoffs.

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Well... the league wanted "parity"... Parity it got...
    I know it`s early, but is there still an undefeated team after week 6?
    (Maybe Atlanta, wasn`t paying enuff attention to them, think they got beat)...
    Is there a winless team? (Nope, even the Clowns finally found a way to win)...
    Whole lotta teams around 3-2 or 2-3, or 3-3...
    Time to get our crap together, if we wanna get in the dance after the regular season... Haven`t seen much so far, to make me believe, but there is still time...
    As to the "3 keys" brought up earlier... that`s ALWAYS the case...
    Special teams is the least of my concerns.
    Getting off the field on third down, and scoring 7 instead of 3 has been a recurring problem.
    Neither seems to be fixed yet... :hmmm:
    Thought Haley would give us a big boost in points, or at least redzone production...
    He is definitely helping keep Ben from getting sacked, and using Heath more, but at the end of the day... the points haven`t been on the scoreboard. That has to change! :yeehaw: (I know... No one expected the injuries, but we can`t make excuses)...
    Defense?
    I just don`t know??? :thumbsdown:
    Third and long has been a problem for 3 or more years, no matter who is healthy...
    Giving up 4th qtr leads has been a problem for 2 years, no matter who is healthy...
    I still won`t blame LeBeau... but I am getting close...
    BRING BACK BLITZBURGH!!!! And put some pressure on the qb!!!! LIVE by the BLITZ.... DIE by the BLITZ!!!! :popcorn:
    I am willing to take that chance, He`s not, anymore, for some reason...
    Still plenty of time to turn this season around, but the PLAYERS have to start WANTING IT!!! :superman: :herewego: :herewego!:

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :good:

That's pretty cool if you ask me!

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Some good points raised here.

Bleedsteel - absolutely correct that the wider picture of the league is not one of clear winners and losers. Alright, we've looked pretty sucky in the past few games. But across the NFL we're not out of the picture just yet.

Afan - bang on comment. Sure, I'd love to see us absolutely annhilate opponents. But when has that seriously happened recently? And while we can yell and point at Tomlin of whatever for this, one fact is that the league has narrowed the gap between worst and best. Remember the Bucs before they got good? Back int he 80's, they were just a joke. I don't see too many joke teams now, if any. Even the Browns came through last week with the potential I've kept saying they have.

Hawkeye - absolutely right. Divisional record is going to be HUGE this season. The Bengals have AJ Green, and we need to find a way to stop him. That's the one X factor they have on us right now. Everything else is, on a good day, manageable.

Steelerlady - love your avatar!

18. SteelerLady

SteelerLady Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Thank you very much! :-D

19. HawkeyeJames

Oct 26, 2011
    I heard an interesting comment on ESPN radio last night. They were talking about parity in the league and Pete Rozell stood up at an owners meeting and said his goal was to have every team be 8-8, so every team had a chance. Well with the current salary cap it is starting to look like 10-6 going forward might be closer to 13-3 in the previous years.

As proven with the previous Superbowl winners getting hot at the end of the year is a lot more important than it used to be. It used to be home field pretty much determined who goes to the conference championship games and SB.

It seems you can only build up one side of your team and hope your other side does just enough to allow you to win the close games. So far our defense has not stepped up.

20. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I never said, nor did I mean to imply, that this is just dumb luck. This was meant to show that there is only a small gap to close to get the Steelers back to playing winning football.

A win is a win... However, there is something hopeful to glean from seeing how the Ravens won, yet the Steelers lost. Especially since both teams were in similar situations, in the two games I mention.

With most of the AFC sitting with records of 2-3, 3-3 or 3-2, the Steelers have an opportunity to separate from the pack, now. But, they need to play more disciplined. And it needs to start this Sunday night, in Cincinnati.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If the steeler defense doesnt dial up a miracle pass rush by sunday night, Dalton will slice and dice this secondary up to smithereens: If Tomlin doesnt sit hood and hampton in this game there wont be anything resembling a pass rush, watching those two lean on blockers for 5 games instead of pushing them backwards makes me want to fire tomlin and lebeau for incompetence, and to see taylor stinking up the secondary week in and week out makes me wonder if tomlin and lebeau are blind when they watch the game film, damn, do something different this sunday because the same old chit isnt working, and it's time for Art Rooney to light a fire on Tomlin and Lebeaus asses........

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Your a Leaf fan LOL. Wow I feel your pain. Actually you never said you were a Leaf fan so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. lol

Bman

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I like to read optimistic posts, because it's only the 6th game of the season and there is still a lot to play for. I agree with some of what you said and disagree with other things.

You're absolutely right that this team is only a few plays away from being 4-1 or even 5-0. It's not as bad a team as many would make it out to be. There's also plenty of time to get things turned around and peak in time for the playoffs.

What I don't like is all the "if this would have happened.... and if that would have happened" stuff.

As my dad used to tell me, "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. But that doesn't make it so."

The season is what it is so far. The struggles in the first 3 road games enhances the importance of every division game along with the rest of the games this season. Can they do it? They're the Steelers. Of course they can! It all starts by beating Cincinnati, being 1-0 in the division and 3-3 overall. Then we can start looking toward the next game, etc.

Great post - and I'm optimistic too. Let's just make sure we're keeping up our end of the bargain as fans. Don't tweak the rituals or break traditions. If it got us there before - then keep doing it. We're the 12th man on the field every week, whether from our living rooms, sports bars, or at the stadium. Let's get this win on Sunday night and turn this thing around.

:herewego!:

24. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We like to call ourselves Leaf Sufferers, i'm not a fan of GM Brian Burke or the garbage he's put together. maybe he'll trade another 4, 1st rounders for 1 player, what a genius.

Now back to our regular scheduled program , a real team, Steelers!!. THANK GOD FOR THEM or I'd have nothing lol

btw what happen to my Harrison Image?