1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What are real expectations for next year or two?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Next year is going to be tough I think. The division has gotten better and the Steelers have a 1st place schedule with a weakened roster. I’ll be impressed if they make the playoffs but I’m certainly not counting on it.

Steelers fans are kind of spoiled. It’s been a long time since the team wasn’t relevant. Most franchises experience mediocrity or worse on a regular basis. I think the Steelers turn is coming, but I hope I’m wrong.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Since Groundhog Day is next week, and late season collapses are a recurring theme. I’ll paraphrase Bill Murray:

"You want a prediction about the coming Stiller season? You're asking the wrong Phil. I'm going to give you a prediction about this season? It's going to be cold, it's going to be dark and it's going to last you for the rest of your lives!

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Much will depend on how well some young players advance and how quickly.:cool:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are we talking about the same things????:eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    17-0 :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm thinking a 6-10 season. AFC North will be very challenging and really could just see us beating non winning teams on the overall schedule. These opponents next season will be much more of a challenge.

Baltimore Ravens (11-5)
    Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1)
    Cleveland Browns (11-5)
    Buffalo Bills (13-3)
    Chicago Bears (8-8)
    Denver Broncos (5-11)
    Detroit Lions (5-11)
    Green Bay Packers (13-3)
    Kansas City Chiefs (14-2)
    Las Vegas Raiders (8-8)
    Los Angeles Chargers (7-9)
    Minnesota Vikings (7-9)
    Tennessee Titans (11-5)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

It will also depend on how much they can grow up both on the field and off of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    0-16 Tomlin gets an extension

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

It's a 17 game schedule. He goes 0-16 and then reaches deep down into the bag cliches and eliminates the Clowns and Rats by winning that last game against the Bills while finally benching Ben and starting Haskins sending the Dolphins and NE to the playoffs. Other teams owners become amazed and get into a bidding war for his coaching services. Steelers don't want to lose his expertise and sign him to a 10 year extension.

After going 1-17 the Steelers select another Artie Burns with the #1 overall pick, CB out of University of Maryland.

10. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    It could be ugly. My worst-case scenario:

* TJ too expensive and we lose him
    * Dupree takes well into next season to recover
    * Bush has a slow start
    * Team is laden with an aging Ben who starts his decline this time near the 4-game mark and crushes our playoffs chances before getting benched
    * Ben's salary also hampers signings
    * JuJu leaves in free agency; we then find out his inside game is what made Claypool and Diontae look so good
    * Not enough talent from the draft to retool in one season

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben has an ok year. Throws for 30 TDS and 10 picks with 700 attempts, team doesn’t run at all, finishes 9-8, just misses the playoffs,.
    Ben promises to return for 2022, to honor the remaining yrs on his extended contract,

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Steel Hog.

Your Quote: "The culture of the Pittsburgh Steelers will not change as long as Mike Tomlin is the Head Coach. Book it."

Truth be told. I wrote about this the other day. The organization can continue to play "Musical Coaches" with every Coaching position except the Top Spot (Head Coach). I have seen this in Education as a Teacher. "Heads Roll" such as Assistant Principals, Department Heads, Teachers and others on the hierarchal ladder. All except the one at the top when things start going sour. For inexplicable reasons, the Head Coach (i.e., Principal) maintain their jobs.

Ideally, a Head Coach needs to have an extremely self-sufficient, and talented group, of subordinates (OC, DC, ST, etc.) working under him. This is just the way that Top-Tier Management is most successful. We really have none of that IMO. In other words, I see no one on this Coaching Staff as "Extraordinary" in ability. So along with Tomlin's mediocrity, we have no one else to help out with his deficiencies. In summation, just about our entire Coaching Staff is sub-par.

Now, Butler may be an exception. When Bush and Dupree were in there we we kicking tail. Wow. we were fast. In the opposing backfields for "Lunch Dates" as I like to say. Then again: "How many First Rounders were on our Defensive Unit this season?"

I have let it be known here, numerous times, that I was a Tomlin fan his first five years or so. He was handed an extremely talented team (Players and Coaches) and for the most part, did what was expected. Really no complaints. He won a Super Bowl and got us to another. However, then came the proverbial "Fork in the Road". It came along gradually but was clearly unfolding with the passing of time. It came with the gradual exodus of the players that he was "handed" to work with. If people want to call that "Cowher's Team" then fine.

I am not saying that Mr. Tomlin did not put in "The Work". He did the best that he could. I am not going to knock him for what he was "handed". He was hired to do a job and did a commendable job at that for the first five years or so as stated. Folks must also realize he also had a terrific group of Assistant Coaches in place when he came aboard. This, in addition to the "High" quality of players that he was given to work with. There were no needs to make wholesale changes to the team that he took over his first year. All was set in place to be successful and again we were.

In summation though, I think Coach Tomlin has run his course here. Fix the Offensive Line, and all connected with it, and I think we can still make a run at things here. Nonetheless, it is time for him to move on.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m not a betting man, but I’ll match any wager that they are not going 1-17. Name your price.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You are forgetting there is an extra game next year, Ben want to go out setting the record for attempts in one year..800 is more like it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    Steelers go 1-16; Browns, Bengals, Ratbirds go 0-17 we win the division, then lose in the wildcard round

It could happen...

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Mathematically that wouldn't be possible :lolol:

17. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    Damn forgot head to head :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers will be in the hunt for the AFCN title, bank on it.
    The playoffs are a different story, the team is usually beat up & playing on a full stomach in January.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was amazed how many posters predicted the high win total in the 2020 prediction poll. They knew something. Look forward to the 2021 prediction poll. Seriously doubt I'll see the high win totals again. Guessing a lot of 8-9 or 9-8.

17 game season will allow for more injuries and more TERRIBLE calls from the Refs. Oh goody!

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If nothing else, Tomlin won’t ever go 8-8 again.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have to win 9 games to keep the non losing streak alive for popcorn. 8 wins ain't gonna cut it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think 21 goes a lot like 20 did. A healthy Ben starts off the season hot, and his health slowly degrades as the season wears on. I could see starting 7-3 and finishing 10-7. I think the Steelers make another 1 and done playoff run.

2022 will bring big changes. Ben will retire at that point and I am guessing Tomlin finally falls on his sword. 2022 will leave us with a new coach, and without a franchise QB. I can see that being a 6-11 or 7-10 season.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1