1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    LT Okafur
    LG Dotson
    C Pouncey? Hassenauer
    RG DeCastro?
    RT Banner

I'm assuming Pouncey retires and I think DeCastro returns. I'm really not convinced that Banner is the answer at OT. And I'm also not convinced that we are an OL coach away from having a top 5 unit even if Pouncey returns and is to form. I'm not of the mindset we need to use the first three picks to fix the line. I think we can find a C in the 2nd and a T in the 3rd and be ok. Then use the first round pick for other needs like CB, TE or DL. Or we could find a stopgap via FA for cheap

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope Hassenhauer isn't the starter.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Leatherwood in the first round and Dickerson in the second round will instantly fix the OL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How would you like to be an offensive line coach and be told jc is your starting center? I don't even want him as our backup. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There were suggestions when Dotson was drafted that he may play Center eventually, I remember Dotson and Sarrett both talking about it. Is that a realistic move at this point?

If he could fill that role it would be much easier to find a guard in the draft or free agency, or just keep Feiler.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    feiler is not a good guard, that was part of the problem. he should have stayed at tackle and dotson should stay at guard. find a draft pick to play center. this draft is filled with them. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Is the draft full of viable day 1 starters though? Center is a tough spot to come in as a rookie, virtually all of them struggled across the league this year and last. You may get the odd one that’ll hit the ground running but guard is an easier position to fill in the draft or free agency.

Ideally, I agree you get a Center in the draft and just plug them in but it’s a distinct possibility that whoever they take won’t be ready. I don’t want to be stuck with JC Hassenauer starting next year

8. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    That looks like crap.. Here's to hoping they can draft an instant contributor at either Tackle or inside in April.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Never mind about finding out which combination of starting Offensive Lineman we have going into 2021. There is still one major problem here.

Who is the Offensive Line Coach?! There is still currently no confirmation on that.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Animus.

I know that Offensive Lineman are not “sexy” picks. However, as I have been emphatically harping on for weeks now, this is the #1 most glaring need on this Team. Someone here on The Board, in another Thread, suggested going the first three picks in the Draft on the O-Line. In all honesty, I would go for the first two for sure and wouldn’t mind going three out of the first four if the quality is there.

We were totally “Imbalanced” on the “O” this season. As I constantly stated:

“We were a Passing Team”. Truth be told, because of our below the line Offensive play which was strongly connected to our sub-par Offensive Line which could not generate a Running Game.

That was not going to cut it. It is about a “Balanced” Offense. Football 101. End of story. A balance that we never had all season due to:
    • Sub-Par Offensive-Line
    • Inept O-Line Coach
    • Mediocre RBs
    • And an Offensive Coach that was not effective at his job as well.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Creed Humphrey, Landon Dickerson and Josh Myers are potential day 1 starters. Probably gotta trade to the 35-45 range to get one of them.

If Dotson can play C, which I have my doubts... Guard is rather deep. Can find a guy like Aaron Banks in the 4th round.

As for T. Id rather see Banner battle it out with a rook. T is also deep and we could find a quality T in the 3rd.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    As much as I notice the glaring holes up front, going OL the first three rounds would be an awful idea.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I been looking so far I see 4 that I would say are day 1 starter capable..The guy I like best so far is Trey Hill they have him at 6-4 330 he is a real run blocker ..Get a big strong RB to go with him and we could gain a damn yard when needed...

• Like Like x 3
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You have to start somewhere. We need a center first. It may not be perfect with a rookie but we need to do it 1st, 2nd,3rd we draft one. Then we need a good multi positional type. Maybe that is coyle. He was a 4 year starter in college. He has to have some skills. :cool:

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they want a LT, they better draft one within the first 2 rounds, and not wait until the third round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I hope you are right. It’s just that we’ve seen other highly rated centers struggle year 1 in recent years. Being completely dependent on a rookie working out day 1 would make me nervous, especially in Bens last year and with his lack of mobility. Preseason is likely to be effected by Covid again too.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    chuks is staying or we are admitting we drafted another bust in the 3rd round. :cool:

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

LT doesn't look like a great spot to draft this year so far I only see 1 I really like out of the 7 or so I been looking at..Will keep digging though,oh and the 1 I like we have to trade up to get so I not like that much..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Draft LT rnd 1/2 n C rnd 2/3 - a both that can play n well this year

Between those 2 n Dotson NICE foundation

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    One scout said he had 13 tackles in his top 100 FWIW.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep and a bunch are RT'S and of the LT'S a bunch are Shotgun/Spread smaller types some of those are projected to switch positions not the direction I hope we go...I see 1 true Franchise LT.. I don't want them to build another small weak pass oriented OL..Look at Walter almost all of the top 20 need to get stronger lack push in the run game and so on..

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No doubt, but never hurts to have experienced depth.

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He doesn't have much experience, though. A couple hundred snaps as a big TE in 2019, and a couple dozen at T last year.