1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooneys End of Year Presser

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Should be any day now but just occurred to me that Fitcher was probably fired because at the end of last years presser, Rooney said they needed to run the ball better. Not only didn’t they run the ball better, that flat out abandoned it. So, yeah, I’d be pissed too and fire the OC that disregarded my directives.

He should take it one step further and tell Ben not to come back because you know he played a roll in not hading the ball off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He wasn’t technically fired, his contract was up.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes i know that and Arians and LeBeau “retired”.

They didn’t want him so he’s gone and one of the reasons he’s gone was because he failed to do what the owner instructed him to do.

Second time he has given that directive and again the team doesn’t do it. Should hold Tomlins feet to the fire as well.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Besides someone like Jerry Jones who has his own weekly radio show, do other owners have a end of year interview/presser?

I ask cause I could do with hearing less from Art II, tbh.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Huh?!

Art Rooney II, at most, only speaks to the public up to three times a season. The end of year presser is the first one. Training Camp soon thereafter and the Pre Season game follows after that. After those three main events are up, that is pretty much it from him sans any other requested interviews from major media outlets; many of which I imagine he cannot get to.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If your employer no longer offers you employment then you’ve been fired

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And will say nothing about Popcorn... Again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben's his boy. He can do what he wants. This presser should be on a loop. How many years will we have to say we have to run the ball better? This has gone on for several OCs. You don't have a franchise qb to just hand the ball off.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Popcorn doesn't have a say in the offense imo. Scared of Ben's influence on the Rooney train. Won't rock the boat with his gig on one of the premier NFL franchises.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After watching the brilliant play calls by KC as they have a new wrinkle off of every play every week ..RF should have not only been fired he should have to pay the Salary back that he stole....It is a crime to impersonate a Police Officer RF is damn lucky that no such crime exists like that for a OC....Not even Johnie Cochran could beat that charge in his case..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Blast.

IMO, Mr. Rooney, more so than anyone else in this Great Organization, is to blame for the "quagmire" that we have continued to swim in for the past eight years or so.

I remember this like yesterday. One of the Rooneys stated that "It is about time" to get that next Championship when Ben got his first. Remember now, it was about a 25-year hiatus between Championships at that point. And although another 25 years, as of now, has yet to pass, another "Ring" is overdue. Way overdue.

Yes, it is great to put a "Competitive" Team on the field just about each season. The pain some fans must feel when their teams consistently start out 0-4 or 1-3 and they most likely know how the rest of the script is going to unfold. So, in that regards, Mr. Rooney, I say "Thank You", Sincerely, for keeping us primarily competitive on an annual basis. However, it is time to take that next step. This is unacceptable given the talent that has come and gone through here the last eight years or so. And the talent that we currently have on this roster as well. Again unacceptable.

As a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan, for me, the goal each year is to win it all. Realistic, admittedly "No". Idealistic, "Yes". And why not hope for such. That should be the goal each year. As a life-long Competitor, and Coach for well over forty-years, I never, EVER, stated to myself or my teams that the goal is anything less than to win it all. I would be doing all involved a major disservice by stating anything less.

As a Coach, I was cognizant enough to realize that on paper we may not have been the most talented team going into the season. However, I also know how sports go and the many unforeseen turns and twists that come along with a season. Anything is possible in the World of Sports on any given day as the old adage goes.

I know I veered off a bit here but I truly believe all that which I stated above from the "eyes" of both a Competitor and a Coach.

So, coming full-circle here, another season ending press conference that does not include an obvious tone of extreme urgency is unacceptable. Especially given the infamous "Closing Window" cliché. And one is best to believe that the Window is "closing" on a highly talented roster, that yes includes Ben, as well as other "aging" all-stars and contractual ending personnel. NOW Mr. Rooney. NOW!

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I take fired as being let go before your end date.

finishing your contract is finishing your contract.

yes, he was fired but technically not really....either way he’s gone so who care.

if a players contract is not renewed was he cut?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    We will all know what Rooney thinks, if or when Tomlin gets a contract extension. If he doesn't get a year added to his current contract, then Tomlin should realize his seat is warm. If Rooney extends Tomlin, then get ready for more of the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If a coach still wants to coach and doesn't want to leave, but is forced to leave anyway, and someone else will be hired to replace him, is that just a contract ending? To me, you're being sh!t canned for someone else, i.e terminated. Due to gutless leaders, it was years too late.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Who cares?

Dude dont work here no more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, that will definitely be a tell.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Once upon a time the Rooney's were the best owners in the league. This current version though is incompetent. I have absolutely no faith in him. It's always the status quo. He seems incapable of making the hard choices that franchises sometimes need to make.

The fact that Ben was allowed to get Haley fired and get Fitchner hired is all I need to know. We had a top QB and we have nothing to show for it. We have had the top WR and top RB in the league, with nothing to show for it. We've had great defences with nothing to show for it. Ben has caused chaos on the team with zero repercussions. Despite that, everything always remains the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That's why this Franchise is where they're at...And continue to severely underachieve

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Artie II to a random office flunky: I’m so pissed off. I’ve been telling these guys for years to improve the running game, and they don’t listen to me!! You know what I’m gonna do! I’m gonna fire the 3rd most guy responsible for this. Tell Ben he can come back, as long as promises to run more. And I’ll send a msg to Tomlin, by only giving him a one year extention! It’s time someone put their foot down! And that foot is me!

I don’t know. The complaint about the run game is years old. Art says the same thing every yr. the same crew comes back, rinse and repeat. Maybe this is the yr they take bold action, but that ain’t the Stiller way.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    See below:

The lamb was sacrificed as he should have NEVER been our Offensive Coordinator, or Ben's puppet for that matter.

And now with the slew of interviews over hence Canada gets the nod. Maybe because he nods his head yes? I sure hope not!

Its Tomlin's team and he allowed this crap show offense to continue so the buck stops with him and Rooney needs to address that...

Now reports are Ben wants Pouncey back and not to retire. Both gone would be a cap savings to rebuild this flounder. Oh well, bring on the retirement tour next season. We can only hope it's a losing one to obtain a better draft position.

22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    And I'm asking if other owners do the same thing? I honestly don't know if folks like Arthur Blank, Clark Hunt, Paul Allen (when he was alive), or most other owners are doing these State of the Franchise interviews. The only time when you see most owners is when the crap hits the fan. (Obvious exceptions like Kraft, Jones, and a few others.) For example, I have no clue what Bryan Glazer looks or sounds like. Basically, the less you hear and see of the owner, the better.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Other owners do though. At most, you hear from them anywhere between 5 to 7 times a year. Clark Hunt is honestly one of the few Owners I know that does not really like to talk all that much like the Rooneys.

24. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Need a stud running back that does not get injured to run the ball effectively. Also need O-line that can run block. We got neither. Boss better tell them to draft accordingly or his order/directive is meaningless.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don’t need a stud RB, both Conner and Snell are good enough to establish a ground game. They didn’t even try, they make the job so much easier for the defense. You don’t need a RB to run for a 150 yards, just give the defense something else to think about other than Ben dropping back to pass.

That doers’t mean I don’t want them to draft a stud RB, definitely would make them a better team, I’m just making the point they don’t even try to run.

• Agree Agree x 2