1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahomes on this current roster, do we win a super bowl?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Yes, he is that good that coaching doesn’t matter

39.5%
  2. No, coaching and line suck too much to win

60.5%
  1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bored but what say you? I say we don’t lol.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Probably not.

Hill and Kelce are uncoverable. We don't have anyone that caliber.

Also, I'm not sure if it is KC's line, but their run game is clearly better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah the only saving grace is Patrick can run but I think our no run game and defensive playoff collapse will be too much to win it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Nope. We still have Mike Tomlin steering the ship. The guy can't game plan to save his life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would think yes, especially with Bush and Bud still playing for the defense.

I think Claypool, Johnson and JuJu would light it up with Mahomes throwing to them.

Andy Reid > Mike Tomlin though. That has to be considered. But, Tomlin has won the SB too, so, I think yes. Mahomes is that good. Elevates the whole team.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Chiefs are a mess on the offensive line. They have been without their right tackle for a while. They had to pick up Wisniewski off the scrap heap to start at guard. They lost Fisher, their left tackle, during the game Sunday. The line there is nothing special.

Mahomes makes everyone on that offense better. He is such an overwhelming threat as a passer, that it opens up room for the running game. He is a threat to run. He can actually take a snap from under center. I have no doubt the Steelers would be able to run the ball better.

He would raise the level of the receivers the Steelers do have, but you right that they don't have anyone like Hill or Kelce.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    These what if posts in my view are impossible to answer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No. Has nothing to do with the weapons. When they were healthy, Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fischer were a Top Five Offensive Tackle tandem; the entire Chiefs Line being Top 10. Pittsburgh did not even field a Top 10 Offensive Tackle tandem and not even close of having a Top 10 Overall Offensive Line.j

Mahomes would be buried back there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Easily.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    with good coaching this guy could have led us to the promised land

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another thing, the Steelers actually graded well with pass blocking, it was their run blocking that was dead last.

This notion that Ben was running for his life is false.

Mahomes puts the team over the top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Absolutely, as someone else posted, he elevates the talent around him. Do a reversal and put Ben on that team and I don't think KC go very far either.

Ben used to have it but doesn't have it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not with these dopes calling plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Do they judge pass blocking on sacks alone? I know Ben gets rid of the ball pretty fast

15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Huh? Steelers finish undefeated if Mahomes is the QB. Maybe 1 loss, thats it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Big Ben did get rid of the ball fast. For that matter, he had the fastest time to throw in the entire league in the Regular Season. PFF also takes that into account whenever grading the NFL's Best Pass Protecting units as there are more factors than just the Lineman's grade alone. Never mind the pass blocking though as that was but a myriad of issues with our Offensive Line.

Pouncey's snaps to Big Ben were suspect all season long. Who is to say what we saw from Pouncey would be any different when snapping to Mahomes?! The most important aspect though is being left out; running the Football. Pittsburgh was dead last for a reason for our Offensive Line could not run block to save its life sans Kevin Dotson. Beyond him, that sadly is more or less what the team has in terms of running the football.

Airing it out constantly to the likes of Claypool, JuJu and Washington is sadly delaying the inevitable. In addition, Eric Ebron is no Travis Kelce for one is a future HOF while the other is a very good Tight End. Very good indeed but no where to replicating what Kelce brings as Kelce now is the most overpowered Offensive Weapon in Football. There really is no "Travis Kelce Contingency Plan" as Kelce really does not have any major opponents that could match him. Possibly Minkah Fitzpatrick but we definitely will not know until next season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will say yes. He is that good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Agreed. Kelce alone is better than any of our players. Hill alone is better than any of our players lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

hmmmm

a qb that can hit receivers in stride as opposed to high and behind

a qb that is accurate on deep passes

a qb that’s mobile enough to not only evade the pass rush, but make plays running
    a qb that makes few mistakes

nah wouldn’t make any difference at all

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It is not just the Offensive weapons though. For a team to win the Super Bowl, as gifted as Mahomes is, you need a good level of balance of Offense with creative play calling. Like @Maddog78 stated, having Randy Fichtner as an Offensive Coordinator, if anything, would be the WORST POSSIBLE aspect for Mahomes. The Offensive Line compounds these issues to an immeasurable degree. Even if we can add the fact for a healthy Zach Banner, debating on how well Zach could have been would take an unimaginable level of assumptions. There really is nothing to assume with Schwartz as he is a proven commodity. Banner is not.

Balance is key. Mahomes, as gifted as he is, can only do so much. If Mahomes could do it all by himself, why draft Clyde Edwards Helaire in Round One?!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Without Mahomes, KC is just an average team. Kelce's game was stepped up after the addition of Mahomes, even you ought to be able to see that. Take off the blinders.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes but put him on this team without kelce, hill, and tomlin/butler/fichtner as his coaches in the playoffs...

It’s a group effort to win a super bowl

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That "average team" still ended up winning the AFC Championship Game last time I checked. For that matter, you are missing the point entirely. Not once in my post did I say Mahomes was not gifted. What I am stating is that you need more than a HOF QB like him to win the Super Bowl. Having a HOF QB is critical in reaching the Super Bowl to begin with. Rather, getting to the Super Bowl with one makes the journey to the ultimate goal a lot less difficult than without. However, to say that Mahomes is the sole reason why Kansas City is back in the Super Bowl is the highest form of arrogance.

For example, does Mahomes make it to the Super Bowl again without Kelce and Tyreek Hill?! What about that Offensive Line?! How well the defense is playing?! Patrick cannot be omnipresent or possess omnipresence. Within that same vein, he still can be great. However, if the team around him is great, that is what propels the Chiefs over the top.

Again, how else did the Chiefs beat the Bills?! That answer is simple as the Chiefs had a great team to go with a HOF QB. Even if that QB got hurt, all the back up had to do was executive the plays given to him. That is it.

One final aspect, the man in your avatar was on a team that fielded 10 HOF Players. Of those ten, five were on the Offense. Terry Bradshaw would end up being a HOF QB but he had a great team around him. Perhaps it is YOU who needs to see the big picture here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    It does take a group effort but this team had enough weapons to win many games this year and did. Add a Mahomes, and they win even more, and SB possibilities would be increased. You have to admit that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Still no running game worth anything. Even Mahomes couldn't overcome that for a full season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1