1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers projected to receive 4th and 6th round comp picks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Might B a good idea....really matters who's still there.

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'll take it, though we may not get the 6th. The next two drafts should really change this roster. I very much hope we move on from several players this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm convinced they need to part ways with Haden and try to sign Sutton and Hilton. I'd move on from Cam, too, but they're going to extend him and make for an even bigger dead cap hit someday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They just signed Heyward to a 4 year extension last year, not a 'capologist' but it looks like a cut before the end of the 2022 season is unlikely.

Would love to sign both, but I just do not see them being able to make an attractive enough offer before the start of FA. Eli especially will be getting a lot of interest, it would be in both of their interest to test the waters.

As for Haden, if something could be worked out he still has value. It is equating what the cap hit would be vs. what he may be willing to play for if he was willing to take a paycut. If the difference is a million of 2, then you look and see who you could bring in for that amount of money...not many. Not saying he would do that, but some veteran players have made those adjustments at the end of their contracts.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now see this is where I differ and would move on from Nelson if it meant we could sign hilton and sutton. Sutton could take Nelson spot as the number two and haden which is under contract could remain the number one cover guy. Nelson is only signed for 2021 then we lose him anyway. He's the number two guy making number one money this year. Sutton is not a number one cover corner. He could possibly play as well as nelson. Layne will have to move up. Add a draft pick as well with pierre.:cool:

7. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    What about the ones they'll lose because of Boo boo juju ?

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I’m starting to come along on Nelson. Plus, he may have trade value.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would be shocked if the Steelers signed both Hilton and Sutton, even if they cut Haden.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not mind the trading down part, though I would not trade out of the first round. There can be a lot like about a 5h year option, especially when picking that low, as it is prorated you can value in that last year while still trying to sign, and even tag for a 6th year. If you found the right trade partner who was intent on moving up several spots, and you felt confident someone you really liked was going to be there, yea go for it. We have so many needs that you could target several players...that said in this draft you may have someone fall that is just to good to be true.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    An extra fourth and sixth compensatory pick would be very welcome. They need all the picks they can get their hands on.

Don’t forget that the Steelers have already traded away their fifth and sixth round selections in the deals for Wormley and Minkah respectively. Two compensatory picks, while welcome, only gets them back to a normal complement of seven selections.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I like the idea of shopping Nelson while they could get something for him, player at a position of need or a draft pick. Hilton is likely gone. Someone will over pay for him. I think Sutton stays and I think Haden likes it enough here that he might be willing to work something out with his contract.

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    At least we save 5 mil in cap space with McDonald retiring.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They get like 4.2 million from Vance retiring, and they rolled over 4 million from 2020.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

5.2 over the cap says for vance. we have 49 players under contract, 16 of those are PS or futures signings, one of those is a punter and one is a LS. we are still around 25 mil. over the cap on the top 51. that is taking vance off and the roll over. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's Vance's salary, not the actual savings per Steelers Depot.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I just read it on Steelers depot and they also said 5.2. :cool:

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Vance has $2.7MM in dead cap, and he’d have made $5.2MM in salary. They save the $5.2MM with his retirement.

19. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The more picks the better. Is there a position that isn't a need for the Steelers? Maybe we don't need a kicker or punter, but most everything else is a yes.

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    OL, RB, TE, LB, DB

Gonna need all of these in the draft.

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    My biggest worry right now is something like KC deciding to pack his bags or some other front office shake up. KC has done a pretty good job and I'd hate for anything to happen in this critical draft year. If all things remain constant though, I think we get some good picks and could have a better then expected 2021.

• Like Like x 2
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean....

At worst, now that comp picks can be traded away, look for Pittsburgh to make a move in Round 2. I seriously doubt an impact player like Chase Claypool is going to fall out of the sky for them like that again. If anything, and as crazy as this will sound, trading up in the 2nd Round to acquire an Offensive Center assuming Pouncey is retiring is not out of the realm of possibility either as I do not believe either Josh Myers or Creed Humphrey will be available by the time Pittsburgh has its opportunity to select its 2nd pick.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

KC said he is taking his final time here in Pittsburgh year by year. As such, we will have to see what happens come the end of 2021 as that would likely be it for Colbert should Tomlin not reach the ultimate goal. That said, even if Tomlin does and Pittsburgh hoists the Lombardi Trophy, Colbert could retire at that point the same.