1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stafford

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lions have agreed to trade Stafford... We'll give em Ben, and call it even :beg:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    If Ben will retire I’d take him for 2 years in a heartbeat.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. jeff simons

jeff simons New Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Would love to have Stafford

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If Ben really is retiring I would take Stafford for a couple of years. I would rather sell out to get Watson though, since we are talking hypothetical trades.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Stafford is a damn tough kid... Pittsburgh would love him

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Stafford is pretty much the perfect option to bridge the gap until they find the next franchise QB. Detroit has a history of hanging talent out to dry by not giving them the supporting cast they need. I think Stafford could do some good things with this WR core.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Was listening to ESPN when they announced this, will be interesting to see what they get for him. Has a significant bonus due a few days after the League year starts so a deal should happen before that. One commentator said he should command at least a first and a second, that seems a bit high, but you really never know. I do not think his deal (if done before Jackson's) will set a tone for value (or vice versa), as Jackson has a no trade clause and can dictate where he wants to go, while Stafford can refuse to report to a team he does not like I think if a deal is made to any (even moderate) contender he will be happy to jump.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good player but I agree, I’m not giving up a first and a second unless I’m a QB away from a Super Bowl.

Very hard to gauge his trade value actually, given his contract, age and injury history

Colts would be a good fit, they have most things in place and can take on the contract

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Yeah..... no.

Never mind looking for a new Offensive Lineman Coach, the team needs a new Offensive Coordinator. Never mind any of that though, the Lions are asking for a 1st Round Pick in addition to the cap constraints we already have. Even in the event the team pulls this off, how the heck is the team supposed to protect him with the current corps of Offensive Lineman we have sans Kevin Dotson. Holding out on a hope and a prayer that another "Kevin Dotson" comes to the team in Round 2 yet again is the ultimate act of short sighted behavior and reckless abandon to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yep, you can get away with a somewhat suspect line if you have a QB that can scramble and make plays with his legs. That’s not Stafford, it not Ben, Rudolph or Haskins either.

Fixing the line is crucial, but it may also be a multi year project. Oakland did it in 2018/19 and have an excellent group now

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree, I would love to see Stafford here, but the trade price is too high. This team needs to worry about rebuilding it's offensive line and running game. I'm not against them bringing in a veteran QB, but it would have to be an affordable one like Mariota or Fitzpatrick. They would only do that if Ben retires.

12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Why? So Tomlin can put him on the Bench in a playoff game?

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Didn't take long for another love fest thread wanting some teams cast off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Stafford is hardly a castoff

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What Disco said. Stafford would actually be a decent fit, because he could take great advantage of throwing to Johnson, Claypool, and Washington. He isn't a guy who is going to run much, but at this point, he moves better than Roethlisberger. The Steelers can at least tread water and contend for the North again with Stafford while they rebuild the line and address some other needs in the draft before eventually having to find their long-term quarterback., I just don't think it will happen, because I don't think Roethlisberger is retiring and the team won't cut him.

The one thing that I wonder about tipping the balance a little is McDonald retiring. That is one of Roethlisberger's close friends. If Pouncey goes, too, that is two of the guys he is closest to on the team. Maybe that will erode his desire to put through the work it takes to be play another full season.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Is it reasonable to ask why Detroit is cutting bait with Stafford? He is still pretty good, is it injuries?

I really like what I see with Stafford when he is healthy but I’d be wary of giving up too much.

If Ben retires he is a realistic target in terms of fitting him in financially but the draft capital is the big question

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If the Steelers could get a stud running back in the draft who can carry 300 times during the year, it would defiantly work.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Detroit wants a 1st for him. Not worth it for a two year rental.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    i read some article about reuniting the Watt brothers. What would the board think about TJ for Deshaun?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    :facepalm:

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it is similar to the Watson situation. Stafford wants out badly enough hat he might try to force the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah like Statsford has never had a good Wr core. Not attacking You...your post just made me think. Just 4 example...will use a Guy whose played with (supposedly washed up)Ben...and Statsford...J. James.. with Ben ...big contract....with Statsford..time 2 leave

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he has anything left after being beat up all these years in Detroit, I have wanted him for along time,
    and have posted it in previous threads, other posters say his contract / salary cap won't let us consider him.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And he has a gun for an arm, can make all the throws. My concern is he too beat up
    after playing at Detroit for all these years?

25. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    As much as I’d love Stafford on the team I don’t think the Steelers can afford the draft picks it would take to get him. Almost the whole offence needs to be rebuilt and to do that effectively you need as many draft picks as you can get.