1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben has ruined the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Tom Brady.

The blame is split. It’s not as though the club just pulled those contract numbers out of the air. They negotiated...with Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I have been thinking about this trying to weigh logic vs the fantasy of who is out there. The cap hit is a killer, but honestly 22 million of that is already set. The 19 million is what comes into question. If he wants to come back and you can somehow extend to get that number down..say cut in half, then the question is is there someone you can get for 8 to 9 million that still has put up top 10 - 12 numbers as a starter, probably not.

If he retires could you get Fitzmagic for that or less, likely, but beyond the heroics you sometimes see he is still a .500 career QB, and was so last season before Tua took over. My point is for what we have to pay, there really is not many better options than Ben. We may want to believe that, but look at the scrub list of available QB's (at that price), look at the careers accomplishments and tell me they are better than Ben, especially if we can get an O line and running game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, the Steelers have been very generous to this man. He could have helped them out this last contract
    but no he had to be greedy so his kids and their grand kids don't ever have to work. This will have a sad ending I am afraid,
    Troy, Franco, James Harrison, Rod Woodson, Alan Faneca. you get my drift?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    She's probably better than Rudolph :shrug:

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The last year of his contract Ben is only due 19 million, how is that being greedy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    His last contract not last year of his contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    The amount of money they have paid him recently is the problem

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So he's supposed to take less than market value?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This thread is laughable. The guy took us to three Superbowls and brought us home 2 Lombardi's. Something the Steelers didn't do since the 1979 season. He is worth every penny the Steelers paid him. Maybe the fans jealousy is just kicking in cause he will retire with more money than any of us could ever dream about.

You want to see a ridiculous contract look no further than Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds. The guy signed a 10 year $225,000,000 contract and will make 25 million each year for the next 3 seasons with a 7 Million dollar buy out in 2024 with a no trade clause and the guy hasn't won anything except a gold glove and team MVP.

The only thing Ben ruined was his off field reputation early in his career.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    That’s what “cap-friendly” and “hometown-discount” mean.
    :hehehe:

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Now that's funny.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I am not going to co-sign the "Rudolph is better than Roethlisberger" statement, but I will say that he's better than people give him credit for.....and that's blasphemy around here too.
    I think Mason has earned a shot, at least a season if not two, where this is HIS team. Where he IS the QB from the start of the league year, through OTAs, mini camps, training camp, pre season, and regular season. Too many people are focused on the Rudolph who was confused and shell-shocked after the head injury last year, and not his play before that injury and in week 17. Guy is worthy of a shot and that at the very least means that they don't have to reach in the draft for a QB for the next couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don’t remember the Rooneys giving a hometown discount to the taxpayers Of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County. So I don’t begrudge the players for acting the same way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    He's fleeced the steelers the last 10 years. Worth nothing near his pay. He'd be lucky to get signed as a backup if the steelers would cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I think he could start for a number of teams for one year, flame out, and then retire like Phil Rivers.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Delusional Steelers fans will be delusional. :rolleyes:

Salary cap hell is here and it's time for a rebuild. Draft Center in 1st round, RB in 2nd.... OL and DL in following rounds. Grab a few FAs if they can. Steelers are gonna suck in 2021. It's a given.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I don't see this team being better than 8-8 next season with the AFCN getting better and a much more difficult schedule. It would be a mountainous task if MT got them to the playoffs. I just don't see that happening. To get this team moving forward in the future it would definitely be better if they went 2-14 or 3-15 and get the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2022 draft and also dump all the coaches and rebuild from there. Otherwise, we are looking at several seasons of mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Sure he could "start" anywhere, but he's hit the wall. He's done.

20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't Arians a 2 time coach of the year? He's a great coach and if he go on and win the superbowl ... he will only boost his resume.

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We're paying Ben as much... lol

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So Aaron Rogers...just a question...did he fleece Green Bay....??? I've heard a bunch of people say he's greatest Qb ever....how many SBs...since were basing Ben on that ...in last 10 years....Oh I know ...people that Love him will say...they...they...never put a team around him....but if you dislike a Qb.(maybe Ben)....its...He sucks.....He has no mobility....He can't throw down field ...How's mobility and throwing down the field affecting T. Brady....Hmm...?..Another...SB...He threw 3 Tds - 3 picks...going down field...and I would say...he isn't the most mobile....comes down 2....U hate a guy(Qb)...or he's hurt your feelings....he sucks...U like a Qb...or talking heads have sheepled U in2 thinking they're great....they never helped him...his team sucks

23. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben didn’t ruin the Steelers. The FO did a great job by having people that don’t need to be in football. They need to know when to trade or dump people that are not producing. I will say they are not the brightest apples in the orchid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    I swear, dude, your posts have more periods than a <insert sexist joke here>. I sound like William Shatner when I read them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I sound like William Shatner....when I think them...and write them....:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2