1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben has ruined the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    Yup.. I think McDermott is a heck of a coach though. He was never handed the keys to a Ferrari like the clown roaming the Steelers sideline had the good fortune of inheriting. He essentially help build that team from the ground up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    All depends who you ask. Ask a Lions, Bengals, Browns, etc. fan and they would say hell yeah. As for me, yes. An add company took a poll some years back using millions of people across the country asking people to name the 4 defending champs of our 4 major sports at the time. Can't remember exact results but it went like this. NHL was like 25% knew. Next MLB and NBA. NFL was around 75% knew. When your team wins a Super Bowl almost everybody knows and it's one hell of a good feeling.

Of course I'll take the 230 million which would be the best feeling of all.;)

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You could have spent $230 mil and have 0 Super Bowls. Other teams have done that, the SD/LA Chargers, come to mind.

Most of him money came AFTER the 2 SBs, payment for past accomplishments and recognizing that other teams would would pay him the big dough if you didn’t.

My son got a College degree by the skin of his teeth. I paid more than $100k for it, but at least he graduated. I could easily have spent that $ and got nothing in return but irritation. Ya rolls yur dice, ya takes yur chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

Fair enough!!

6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Steelers aren't doomed. Just facing the reality of a rebuild. It's not like the NFL has a pro/rel system and we are at risk of being relegated.

As for Ben himself, for me the issues with Ben aren't even with his arm. It's his lack of mobility. He had the knack of extending plays almost a minute shedding three to four would be sackers and then heaving the ball down the field 60 yards for a 80 yard td pass. Ben had all the backyard tricks up his sleeve. A toned down Ben is very average, but adequate. My issue with Ben is that his cap hit is far too high just for average results.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Excellent reply. The Steelers brass negotiated a contract with Roethlisberger's agent which Ben approved, signed and has honored. If one has a problem with it, then blame the organization for either, a), offering the contract at all or, b) one so large that it basically has become a huge financial drain.

As far as whether or not Ben has been less than what he has been paid? He played in three SB's and was part of two winners. He is a HoF'er whether we like it or not. He's similar to Brett Favre in that you have to accept the bad if you take the good that he used to be capable of. As a person, I think the guy has gone a long way toward rebuilding his life but I can't honestly say I admire him beyond his play on the field. With me, it's not even the trouble he got himself into although that's definitely part of it. His bad decisions when he was young kind of parallel his wreckless play on the field. I think he's very adept at telling people what they want to hear in any given situation. He gives off an arrogance that he tries real hard to hide. I do think the love and respect he shows toward his team mates is genuine, however. I've had the impression for years that he'd rather not have to deal with the press or the fans. So, I'll be happy for the memories he provided, but I won't be at all upset when he's done.

Here's my take on the whole "will he be back next year" discussion. I think some of you people are deluded in to thinking this team is just a couple of tweaks away from being a legit playoff team next year if Ben plays. There is no way in hell no matter what Ben does. No way. That's not even the problem....I think Steelers brass sees it the same way when they should be seriously laying the foundation for a rebuild. It's time to get right with the fact that this team is going to have a good year next season if it flirts with .500. Beyond next year, it'll be worse. Going all in to try to make a playoff run next year will probably damage subsequent seasons and do nothing but prolong the rebuilding process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Has Rudolph beat the Browns yet? Lets get there before assuming that he wins the playoff game. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    One game...lol
    Should we dig up the quotes after the half at the Titans? :lolol:
    Mason needs to beat Ben out, he hasn't done it yet. Not even close imo.

Edit: see below

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Greedy. He should have gave his path to success a break his last signing.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Lot of people want 2 say If Ben plays we're not going 2 make the playoffs. A 7 per conference playoff...
    In a division with Baker ,and L. Jackson...who must get paid..who hasn't really done much with stacked teams....U can't even compare the free agents those 2 teams have brought in compared 2 what we have...that will end....also Burrows coming off a injury. I don't see how we don't make the playoffs :hmm:

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Meant to quote this post above Steel Hog.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Has the team officially declared Ben as being back? Or another case of nobody knows what's going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben is still the best qb on the team until he isn't. Rudolph is good but Ben is unfortunately better even late in his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mikey needs to put his foot down with who controls the offense.

16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No decision on either side yet, at least not publicly. I don’t expect one before the salary cap is announced either.

If it’s $175m or in that range I don’t see how they keep him without pushing most of his salary in to the future. I’d really prefer if they didn’t do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, not at this time anyway.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I know this will open a can of worms but I don't expect BB to go into the HOF in my lifetime. He'll be waiting a lot longer than Faneca has and then some. I've been wanting him gone since Milledgeville, GA. JMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I sure hope our next QB wins us two Super Bowls and ruins us afterwards...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And I want Margot Robbie, guess what neither is happening.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben is a first ballot Hall of Famer, his stats will be in the top 10, and 2 Super Bowls wins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard this suggested on a Steelers podcast, redo Ben's contract add on voidable years at the end.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben should and probably will go in on the first ballot, the only reason he may miss out is that his off field transgressions come against him. On the field, he has had a HOF career. Very few QB’s in the future will retire with his achievements

24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You want Margot Robbie to play quarterback? you go girl.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Well, we know her legs are in great shape.

• Like Like x 1