1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben has ruined the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 22, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We still could save 19 mil. If Ben retires or we cut him. We get 5 mil. for mcdonald. 8 mil. for pouncey. That's 32 mil. We just moved 4 mil from unused money to this year. 36 mil.. cut Nelson we are 8 mil. 44 mil. Actually closer to 45 mil.. Vince is another 4 mil. 49 mil. We can work with this for a year.

ben-- mason, draft pick, vet possibly, haskins
    pouncey-- draft pick, low cost get
    McDonald-- ebron, rader, gentry, draft pick.
    These moves shouldn't cost much. I'd sign mason or extend him this year. Sign hilton and sutton. Sign TJ and juju. TJ signing could lower his hit. We work the draft and fill some holes. We keep some guys like hawkins, leglue, coyle, maybe sign isidora back. Banner hopefully can also be back on a friendly deal. We got 9 draft picks to work with as well. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't understand this post. How many of you would turn down millions and millions of dollars a year because you were worried that the company that employs you, MIGHT be better off without you? How many? Seriously? They say "Here, we want you to have these millions of dollars because we really value you A LOT." Would you say "Nah, that's cool. You're better off without me. I'll just retire and open a restaurant that will surely fail."?

That's for his employers to worry about. If they, the people that pay him for his services, thought they would be better off without his services, they can show him the door at any time. If he's still on the team it's because THEY want him there.

Sorry, but to blame Ben is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey STD.

Thank you for the critical data posting here.

I have made my stance folks about getting Ben back next season. It may be etched in stone whether some here like it or not. Look at the statistics here as posted by STD. And again, as STD points out he is in the Top 10 of TD:INT Ratio and the only player with the "Major Surgery" stipulation.

I get the "reservations" from some here about Ben coming back. Primarily age and the pounding that his body has taken over his career. However, if he performed as well as he did, with a "Healing" elbow and no running game then call me the ultimate optimist. For as I see it, his arm will be much better next season AND IF we can get a Running Game going we are going to be in a much better situation.

Below is a little more of Ben's 2020 Regular Season final statistics. The one that stands out is Yards: 3,803.

Yes, very low Passing Yardage and we know it can be attributed to the "Dink" and "Dunk" Offense that we were running. Probably to compensate for his elbow as it continued to heal. However, Management "Ruined" this season (NOT BEN) by not making sure we had a Running game established.

Folks, Ben was good enough to play but not good enough to carry the team with his healing elbow. Forget the elbow for a moment. Even if his arm had never been hurt, the Offense was at a disadvantage because (Drum Roll) WE, HAD, NO, RUNNING GAME! The Offense was "Imbalanced". This is Football 101 folks. The Passing and Running Games must work in unison. We had no such "Dynamics" going on this season. Now, add in a QB that is healing and limited his throwing capabilities. This was a set-up for disaster from the beginning.

Ben's 2020 Regular Season Statistics

Completion Percentage: 65.6%

Yards: 3,803

TD: 33

INT: 10

QBR: 94.1

As some may recall, about two weeks ago I created a Thread regarding "Sticking up for Ben". It outlined all of that which I stated above. So, I will leave it at this folks. Instead of going over the same ground between now and next season I will leave it with my final thoughts of "Optimism":
    • Ben's arm will be much, much better.
    • We will have a better Offensive Line.
    • We will have an upgrade at Running Back
    • The Defense returns Bush and Dupree (at least one).
    If these things transpire, which are all very doable, then we will be in the running again and this time not "conk out".

As the old adage goes: "Time will tell."

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

Yea you're right, shut down all sports forums across the internet and let front offices only discuss such things. Silence all fans across the globe. lmao, man. take the stick out of your ass. Ben is 100% to blame for losing to the Browns (the game that mattered the most), couldn't dive on a loose ball and threw 3 INTs within like 10 minutes. Can't even get a full week of practice in, can't have timing with the WRs, Throws 3-5 yard passes majority of the time. Ya...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Maybe some fans are blaming Ben but I don’t. He was offered a contract and he signed it. If the teams wants and asks him back then he should come back.

That said, if I’m Ben, I’m looking at major changes on the OLine and an exodus of players around me in free agency leading to a much weaker roster and quite honestly, no chance of a Super Bowl. He is wealthier than any of us can really imagine, he has already earned over $200m in his career.

I just really question what he is coming back for, to prove a point? What point? They were 12-4 in 2020, it will be a miracle if they can do that again. He really wanted that third ring, I get it, but it ain’t happening unfortunately. It’s over for Ben. He can hang in there for another year if the team allows him but it won’t be pretty imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    His arm wasn't as much of the problem as his knees. Those are the sum of his age and prior years of pounding. He couldn't even practice during the last third of the season for the most part. Sure Ben could play still and make it through one more but it comes down to just moving the inevitable a year longer to maybe barely make the playoffs or just come up short but have a winning record. For the last 10 years we did have a running game. We still spun our wheels. We had the top wr and top rb and an uninjured ben. We were outed by the Broncos, jags, and browns. Do we really think he has one magic year left if we just had a running game? It's time. It's time for pouncey too. Or we pick apart the rest of the team to keep him around. I can't see that. We won't even have mason after next year under contract. The cupboard will be really bare at that point if we keep him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Most regulars on here know I'm not a Ben guy at all, but to say he ruined the Steelers is a bit of a stretch. I do think Ben is just as much responsible for the lack of playoff success as Tomlin is. He makes so many boneheaded plays. He has single handedly lost us many games over the years. With that said, he did bring us success. Do I think we would have won the SB in 2005 and 2008 with a different QB? I do think there's an argument to be made both ways, but that's purely hypothetical. Ben was the QB when we won. He was also the QB when we went to the SB in 2010. There was success earlier in his career, but nothing in a long time.

So he didn't ruin the Steelers. We'll be fine long term, but there will be short term pain due to him. But I blame Tomlin, Colbert and Rooney too. They can all agree to cut him just as they could have told him to shut up and just play all these years, but they won't, because they're cowards.

I am looking forward to never seeing Ben on the field again though. I want the Steelers to win, but I have a hard time cheering for Ben. I don't like him and I don't respect him. I think he's a piece of **** and if the Steelers had any integrity as a franchise, they would have traded him in 2007

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Who said ANYTHING about silencing you? You can freely say whatever you want on the board. Just like I can freely tell you that posting how Big Ben has ruined the Steelers is ridiculous. He's one guy trying to do his job, and the ROONEY'S want him here. To blame the demise of the franchise on one guy because THE OWNERS keep paying him to show up and play is like a joke without a punchline.

Then you double down and claim that the loss to the Browns is 100% Ben's fault. Good call man. You seem to know a lot about football. Like you blamed Ben for the fist play, but you don't blame Pouncey for snapping the ball 10 ft over Ben's head? So Pouncey's bad snap played NO PART AT ALL in the Browns scoring a TD on the first play? None? Seriously? None? 0%? Ok dude. And that's one of a lot of things that weren't 100% Bens fault.

Am I saying that Ben didn't screw up? He sure did. But to, essentially, blame the entire state of the franchise on Ben, instead of Tomlin, Colbert, or the owners of the freakin team, is one ignorant ass statement man.

And because you were so pissed that someone disagreed with you, you didn't even try to process or understand what I was trying to say. You just go on on a condescending tirade.

• Like Like x 4
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If you’re going to wish-upon-a-star, you’re better off wishing to win the $1B Megamillions. Wishing that Ben ‘heals’, that the OL gets younger and that Bud returns, is just as futile and much less profitable.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Ben “ruined” the Steelers. Give me a break. Tomlin is a horrible coach. He’s not Bellicjhick, but he ain’t Adam Gase either. All these “fans” say We have garbage Asst. Coaches, the front office and ownership sucks. Maybe we should see if Daniel Snyder wants the Steelers. Makes me wonder why some people are still “fans” of our team.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

He’s partly going to come back for the $. But that’s only part. Elite athletes are the last ones to know when they are done, in Bens mind, I’m sure he thinks he’s still got it. Hell, I got the 2nd half’s of the Indy and Cle game to prove it. Forget that it was only 4 of his last 24 quarters. He can still imagine that if all the stars align, that they can still make a run. He’s competitive, and thinks he can prove th3 haters wrong.

reality, can be a *****. Come November, they’ll need to bench him. First, It’ll be for some minor injury. Then it will be to see what Mason has for the future, as the playoffs are out of reach. But Ben will be the last to know that he’s reached the end.

Johnny U, Joe Montana, Willie Mays had to be dragged off the field. Ben will have to be dragged off to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like how that matches your Avatar. LoL :lolol:

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, if you compare what Mason did against the Browns vs Ben,. I'd say the competition already beat him out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Now we're approaching insanity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    How about their coaches?

17. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Are there any local beat writers saying that Ben is open to restructuring his contract maybe?

Are there rules against spreading Bens salary over another year or two that's guaranteed.... to ease the hit?

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There are not any. If anything, Big Ben's contract can be extended to another season. That said, there are other ways around the cap issue. My biggest proposal is still restructuring both Heyward and Tuitt as their cap hits are more manageable than Big Ben's would be via a restructure.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Andy Reid is a HOF Coach.

The other three?! We will have to see for each; doubly so for LeFleur and McDermontt. Way too early to speculate on either.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You're a newbie to this forum. Whenever you use the " :facepalm: " you need to add # @HeinzMustard :facepalm:®.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No way Arians goes to the HOF. Absolutely no way

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    What about them?

23. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I'm not mad at Ben, He signed on to make money for his labor. You're right, who gives an employer back millions?

24. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    Agreed.. The main problem here is Tomlin and unfortunately I don’t think that’s something they’ll overcome until they jettison that clown.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Has north of 230 million been worth 2 super bowls? What are your thoughts.