1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Proposal - Steelers/Skins for Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

first 4 games of this season qbr 29.4 last 4 games he played this season (only cause a undrafted qb and a alex smith got hurt) qbr rating 4.1. Attitude issues, Work ethic issues, accuracy issues (since becoming a pro), maturity issues. i said it in another thread. Teams don't just cut 1st round drafted qb's in their second year unless their is a major issue. And for every 1st round QB that makes it theres way more that dont. Again the more you say the more i wouldnt trust you with a madden pee wee team to draft for. Your as bad as tomlin. Quoting this guys stats from college and falling in love with him when he has already been an epic bust in the league.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the signing but they aren’t likely to find out what they have in him before 2022 draft, especially if Ben comes back for this season. He’ll be a 3rd string QB, they don’t get any reps. It’s going to be tough to develop him in that capacity.

So they will be picking a QB anyway and let there be a competition in camp. Even if they decide to re-sign Mason, there will be too much uncertainty at the position not to invest a draft pick.

If Ben retires now, that will change things.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They may very well resign Dobbs if Ben retires ...3 different types of QB'S if you will..1 statue no short game..1 statue no long game..1 mobile questionable passing.. All 3 make a complete QB so use them all check out the rest of the Team then decide what is needed in 2022 ..I actually like this route much better than Ben coming back ....I do see your point though if Ben comes back he just waste another season from how I see it..

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think they are done babying Rudolph. Him and Haskins will battle it out at camp for 2nd string.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Won’t be much of a battle to be had if they don’t have preseason games again.

I don’t think the Steelers have given up on Rudolph yet though, I think they very much intend on giving him the opportunity to lead the team first when Ben leaves.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Remembering Paxton Lynch? There is your 1st rd talent. Garbage.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So now, This trade can be tweaked since the great Haskins has already be added...

Now we can ask for 2 1sts lol...Would never happen, but to fantasize...

You'd have to ammo to move up to get the next great Steelers QB
    Cut Ben...
    Fix the OL...
    Draft a Bell Cow RB...
    Pouncey, Big Al, DD gone, start over...
    McDonald gone...
    Vince gone...
    One of Haden/ Nelson gone...
    Ebron gone ( sign a middle of the pack FA TE, and draft one )
    Conner gone...
    Boswell gone ( why not ) You would think/ hope you can get a reliable Kicker, for a fraction of the cost...
    Wormley gone...Useless...
    Bush is back!!!!!
    Try/ see what it would cost to resign all or a combo of Bud/Alualu,Hilton...

2021... Tomlin gone, Ben gone, a rebuilt line, Stud RB, still great D, HOPEFULLY the next great QB...Who can sit a year AND...Will be in great shape cap wise after this upcoming year!

Most will laugh at this post but, man this sounds so good TO ME! You stay competitive, No big long rebuild...And in one short year you have the ABILITY to be great again, and for another long stretch!

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nope, totally different situations.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Low risk, huge reward. Like a lottery ticket. You very rarely get the reward. Enlighten everyone by how you think he can turn it around with his track record so far in the NFL. Do you know him or are related to him in some way? How is this possible? Your comparing Big 10 to the NFL? If thats the case, every 1st rd QB will always make it to the HOF. Seems like every time someone gets Sh!t canned by a team, or teams, there is always someone on this board that thinks they can turn around on our team. We've had enough of these head cases over the years (but obviously not enough).

10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If I win the Powerball and MegaMillions this week, I will buy the Steelers and sign any player/coach this board wants. Wish me luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Is there an example of a QB that was drafted high, was a complete bust, then became a franchise QB somewhere else?

Off the top of my head, I'm drawing a blank.

Tannehill wasn't a complete bust, more like a disappointment. Meanwhile the NFL landscape is littered by guys like Lynch, Ryan Leaf, Blackledge, Cade McNown, Jamarcus Russell, etc.

Edit:
    Others: Andre Ware, David Klingler, Akili Smith, David Carr, Tim Couch, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Kyle Boller. All busts and never rehabilitated their career.

Maybe add Jay Cutler in the Tannehill category (not a bust, but a disappointment and had an OK run somewhere else).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tommy Maddox lol

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I feel like Glenn and Captain Optimism here... But this is a totally different situation. Left college way too early. Went to a horrible organization. Had two different coaches in two years. Low risk and huge upside. Not to mention I read he has a 1st round tender on him. If he looks decent next year and goes somewhere else that team has to give us their 1st. That alone is worth admission.

14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    In short, your answer to my initial question is "No."

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Wait why would a team have to give us a 1st if we cut him? I don't think that's how that works.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Wow I totally forgot about that. Was supposed to replace Elway.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You still wouldn't be able to buy them lol. They'd never sell.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking of guys like Jim Plunkett or Doug Williams, but that was probably more of a case of having really ****ty teams. Plus that was all a loooing time ago.

I do appreciate you bringing up Akili Smith though. Instantly makes me feel better about any drafting the Steelers have done ever.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers didn’t give a first to WFT for him, I don’t know why the Steelers would get one if they cut him and Wash didn’t. He’s cut. His contractual slate is clean for other teams. Just like if they signed you or me.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I never said if we cut him. He was 1st round pick so if somebody wants to trade for him in the off-season it would cost them a 1st.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody is going to do that LOL

They didn’t pick him up when it was free.

I think the comparison to Lynch are way off other than them being first rd picks. People acting like WFT is a soundly run team with a logical team owner who don’t do dumb things.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Jim Plunkett

• Like Like x 1
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They didn't pick him up for free because he has issues. If he turns it around and looks solid. Then weak QB class. Some team could take the chance for a QB to win now if they have the pieces and missing a QB opposed to developing one. We've seen it before.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks solid when? You’re likely looking at the same type of camp as last year.

If he turns it around, it will be while he’s starting for us and then why would we trade him? We’d have a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Haskins is a guaranteed bust, because he's been terrible his first two seasons on a terrible team, just like these busts:

Terry Bradshaw: 21 starts, 19 TD, 46 INT
    Steve Young: 19 starts, 11 TD, 21 INT
    Troy Aikman: 26 starts, 20 TD, 36 INT

• Like Like x 1