1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PFT: 2021 Salary Cap will be $180M

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Isn't this against the Steeler way? My understanding is that the Rooneys take the approach of 'try to make the playoffs every year, and at that point, anything can happen'.

I'd like the Steelers to have one down year to pay for the last decade of competing, but history indicates that's not their prerogative.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, and it would make sense to go that way if it were a normal year with the cap increasing by the usual 5-10%, move money around and bring everyone that can contribute back to give it another go.

Cap looks like it is going the other way and they are about to lose a slew of young free agents so the traditional approach may not work as well for now. Added to that it’s obvious that Ben is a pale shadow of the player he was. When you have an elite QB you always have a chance.

We will have plenty to discuss as fans during the off season at least.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Since the Steelers have never done this and they remain competitive every year, I wouldn't expect them to start now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Troy, Ward and Alan Faneca all left before they would have wished for team building / cap reasons. I accept they were difference circumstances, but the team has shown a ruthless streak in the past when they were in a corner.

We are talking about a handful of guys on the back nine that are taking up a huge percentage of the cap. Some of them will probably retire in any case. I would be surprised if the FO aren’t secretly hoping for that to happen actually.

Re being competitive, certainly true but I think I addressed that in the post, you can keep moving money around and keep your team together as long as the cap keeps going up. Covid has caught them out, along with several other teams.

They have also had a top QB for nearly two decades, they don’t have that any more unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Troy, Ward and Faneca weren't examples of 'trading away your top guys'.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I didn’t suggest that they do that at all. I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think you misunderstood what you were saying.;+)

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    No, I’m pretty sure about what I was saying. Not my fault you cannot grasp it. Have a good night.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My response was a joke, hence the ;+).

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ah, my apologies @groutbrook

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A lot of gossip here concerning a number no one knows what it is. So some media idiot wants to be the first to have his click bait on line and speculates a number and here come the posts like its official. I'll just wait until its official to believe anything. Still wondering why the Pouncey retiring thread is still around somewhere down the list.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s speculating, “IF” was the tell.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Was hoping it would come in at 190 but this is still better than 175.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I still am going with my lowest prediction of $185 Million. It initially was $190 Million but then I remembered that horrific "Fan Support" was in the LV Stands via Twitter. Then again, teams are getting close to finding out; five weeks at that. We will have to wait and see what happens by then.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We can hope but Schefter has good sources, he’s usually on the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well!!!

Count me among the people who have hope it is higher!! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While not a cap aficionado, I have a few observations:

The NFL/Owners’ position seems to be “we didn’t make as much money as usual, so we have less to pay the players”

For the players, this directly impacts free agents, as awarded contracts will not be as large, at least for this year, as what might have been the case the last few years.

And thus, it is the players who will bear the brunt of the lost revenue.

So, why is revenue down? Obviously, COVID restrictions limited game attendance. But, that’s just one piece of the pie. Most revenue comes from television contracts. There’s also merchandise.

Seems to me, if 50 thousand plus people could not go to a game, they would watch it. Meaning ratings would be higher than before. I read the Super Bowl had the worst ratings in the last 15 years. While no specific sources to site, I seem to recall ratings were down all season.

With more people home, why would this be? Why isn’t the NFL garnering the same audience it had been?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    It could be higher if the TV deals are done before the cap is determined.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...next-tv-deals-before-setting-2021-salary-cap/

The NFL may be partially robbing Peter to partially pay Paul.

That’s the obvious takeaway from a new report, courtesy of CNBC’s Jabari Young, that the NFL wants to “finalize frameworks” of new TV deals before setting the 2021 salary cap.

This implies that the league could be inclined to shift some future earnings toward 2021, potentially bumping up the salary cap. It’s currently expected to land in the range of $180 million per team. It’s possible that, if the money to be earned under the next wave of contracts represents a sufficient increase in revenue, some of that money could be moved around in order to make more money available to all teams in the coming season.

20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Two words describes my take on why revenues and viewers are down even when no one is attending games. Roger Goodell. This is just me so I am not using scientific methodology and only give my opinion using myself as an example. The game has lost me. Period. Over the past three years, I only watch the Steelers and that is it. Haven't seen any other teams play including the SB for as long I used to watch any NFL game that was on and no amount of time was too much. RedZone was an all day thing and I couldn't wati until it came on before 1st games on Sundays. I use to have SB parties and go over friends homes if it was their turn hosting. Now no one is hosting for the past several years. I used to buy NFL merchandise and authentic jerseys, that's done as well. The game has changed and what the game has become is not entertainment to me anymore. Too much BS not game related so why watch something that just pisses me off. The only reason I still watch the Steelers is because its what I have done for over 50 years. So maybe there are more of those feeling similar and its adding up? Or maybe there are other reasons and has nothing to do with people like me. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    30% approx of league revenue is local revenue, i.e. ticket sales, licensing, hospitality, merchandising etc. That is the part that has been utterly decimated due to Covid. I’d imagine that TV revenue is static, if not up.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My local American Legion didn’t turn off NFL games because of Roger Goodell. At least not directly. I’m with you in that I don’t watch as many games as I used to. But I still watch some other than Steelers. Especially when they don’t play at 1.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    As
    As a member myself, I most enjoy the well priced beverages and good company. Not sure anyone watches TV much. Then again, what else would you have on, soap operas?

• Like Like x 1
  24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not a capologist, but I'm not sure it matters what the cap is in some respects. Regardless if it's 190M or 175M we're still going to be 25th or whatever in terms of cap space which puts the franchise at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the league.

In fact, in some ways it's better if it's lower so it forces the FO to make some hard decisions that otherwise it could just kick down the road by thinking "we're 10M under the cap" rather than "we're 25th in cap space."

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Next QB? You are very optimistic. It took 23 years between Bradshaw and Ben and even then it wouldn't have happened without a 6-10 season. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes them another 15+ years to get another franchise QB. They are rare and a lot of teams have never had one let alone the having two like the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1