1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This makes some sense, but being that it is only the O line coach position I do not know who they could be waiting for (as in current coach from another team), as most teams (or Coach's) would not make a lateral move for a same position. Could be the person of interest is waiting for an offer someplace else (like OC), but this does seem odd.

2. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    But unless his contract is up what team is going to allow someone to interview for the same position on another team? I understand (and likely written in contracts) going from position coach to OC or DC..or that to HC as something a team would not block. Unless it is an asst.position coach (?),some teams have so many coach's that would not even surprise me.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just hope they aren’t waiting on Ben to decide if he is coming back or not. You either believe in Canada or you don’t but don’t hire him just because Ben is familiar with him. If you want an OC from outside the organization, go get him and the heck with what Ben want’s, let him retire if he doesn’t like it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    My concern is his $19M cap hit next year on a team that is in cap hell. I would seriously consider bringing him back, IF this team didn't have the cap trouble and was close enough that a decent draft and a couple of shrewd FA signings could mean a legitimate shot at a championship. As it is, they are a long shot at just making the playoffs. So, keeping him around to win 6-8 games when he will probably go ahead and retire after the '21 season anyway doesn't make much sense.

I agree with your assessment of the bad snap in the Cleveland game. Maybe they go on on and win the game. They probably blow them out if he doesn't throw four picks. My feeling about him having to retire goes beyond that, though. Say he comes back and he is healthy. how long do you think he'll stay that way playing behind a line with God knows who playing? I'm not hating on him. If he were to come back, I'd be rooting for him to be lights out. Right now, I just think they need to move on.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I can concur with most of this. I guess we can say the shoulda woulda's all day, some big issues beyond Ben and his play are things that have been discussed all year. Some of these can be explained by O line play, non productive RB's, lack of good plays and calling, short yardage issues..all of which are entangled to some degree. The bigger concern is the inconsistent (or total lack)of 60 mins for football. Maybe one game this year the team played a full focused game.

I posted in some thread an article about Wentz being uncoachable, and this got me wondering about Ben...even with a change of OC, will he accept that, or just do what Ben wants to do, stand in the gun and throw 60x a game. Beginning to believe it is just time to begin weeding out the old guard, better a year to early that a year to late,and I say this thinking specifically of Troy, that last year was painful to watch..he wanted to come back, but the team made the right call. Ben had few good moments this year, the last 6 weeks were painful. This decision needs to be taken out of his hands,as it was with Troy.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s fishy

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Or the concern could be that Ben wouldn’t fit what Canada wants to do. Ben’s had a great career, and I’m very appreciative as a fan, but it’s over. It’s time for the team to look forward, not backwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Maybe Matt Kafka is a name they are looking at as OC.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

Why would an Offensive Line Coaches' Coaching Style have any direct effect of the Offensive Coordinator's philosophy?! Another "Big Ben appeasement" move in disguise?!! I hope not!! :eek:

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason why Mike Tomlin is wanting to hire an Offensive Line Coach before Offensive Coordinator is very unusual and suspicious to say the least.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont know who is a Bigger idiot Tomlin, or you know who:cool:

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Historically now this makes sense. Completely forgot how much input Mike Munchak had as the Run Game Coordinator. Shaun Sarrett was supposed to improve upon that but I suppose that the first four weeks were nothing but fools gold coupled with an aging corps.

Now, regarding the hire?! Would love it.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the offensive coordinator to help hire the offensive line coach? Who the hell is running this team? Always doing things azx backwards.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think it’s a money thing. If they go high profile on the Oline coach they can’t create a situation where the OC is making less. They are going to higher the OLine coach first, then promote Canada.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Probably waiting for a grad asst at Pitt to finish school. Then they won't have to cover relocation expenses.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally agree with the Troy statement. Even though he was one....of my all time favs. Not sure ( I'm conflicted) on the Ben. We all know some injuries take longer 2 come back from. I seriously know anything about his elbow.....I know he said it was fine....but if I was in the same situation....I'd have said the same thing.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Did Ben officially say he's coming back? KDKA reported that he did.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Those pennies aren't gonna pinch themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That approach might still result in a better line performance than we saw under Sarrett.

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think you’ve got it backwards. You want what the O-line coach teaches to mesh with what the OC is trying to do. You don’t want an line coach to teach a gap blocking scheme to an offense that requires zone blocking.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know anything about him but supposedly, he’s pretty good.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did correct myself in another post. :)

However, that is not my biggest concern. Who is truly the Offensive Coordinator is.

24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017