1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Hangs them up

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Eli Philip and Ben part of that big draft class. Hopefully Ben follows in their footsteps and doesn’t embarrass himself next year and stunt the teams growth. Hang them up Big Boy thanks for the memories.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If all he can do is operate out of a shotgun and practice two days a week, I agree.

Narrator: That's all that Ben can do.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why has everyone forgotten the 1st half of the season. He didn't ....just ....operate out of shotgun...until later in the season. Not trying 2 argue...just stating a Fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also...I've been 2 every Board from this division....that everyone thinks We can't compete in...(just reading, and enjoying their misery)....and everyone of them are saying the same things about their teams....that's being said here. Except Bengals. I'm talking about, QBs not good enough, line sucks, Coach sucks, Oc can't take advantage of anything...So on, and So on. Can't them & Us be right....Someone has 2 win the Division :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    He definitely regressed as the season went on but let’s face it he is basically a concrete statue moving in the pocket. He has 0 mobility anymore and Ben a year older next year will only look more broken down. It’s time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think that stretch of bad play at the end of the season was just so miserable that people don’t think he can get back to the level he was at earlier in the season. Once teams took away the short passes it really was ugly, albeit I do think he was carrying an injury too.

I think if Ben comes back next season it’ll follow the same pattern as 2020 with some good performances but some very bad ones as well, niggly injuries, holding and shaking out his arm etc. To be quite honest, from what I saw of him Rivers looked more able to keep going physically than Ben.

Colts and Steelers are now in a similar bind, decent roster, need a new QB but don’t have the draft ammunition.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What changed the second half of the colts game and browns game when we were down?

it’s like Ben becomes a machine when it’s too late lol

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Bye, Phyllis! Now he's got time to make 10 more kids!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm happy for Philip Rivers. That being said. There are 41 million reasons why Ben will return next season but when he does he has to be better than what he has been this past year when it comes to accepting his role on this team. Anyone that thinks he is just going to hang those cleats up and fade into retirement is just kidding themselves at this point. No matter how you slice it though, looking at our dismal QB situation he still gives us our best shot at still trying to win another SuperBowl.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Dude Ben was sorry down the stretch and when it mattered the most. First half of the season doesn't mean squat

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with you. Prior to the Ravens game, I thought Ben was a legit MVP candidate. I personally thought he was having one of his finest seasons.

The problem is the season took its toll. At Ben's age, he just wasn't able to withstand the wear and tear that an NFL season puts on his body. None of us are certain what all injuries Ben had. But we all watched his level of play fall off a cliff.

If Ben plays next season, I expect he will again start off the season hot, and then slowly decline as the season progresses. I would rather he retire than see that happen again, not only for our sake as fans, but for him as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Congrats to Rivers on a nice career. I never really liked the guy, but he did it at a high level for a long time. I'm surprised he didn't give it one more run with the Colts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Cleveland : Line sucks Coach : Sucks

Whoever's posting on that board sucks

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bout to get busy up in there

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is in shotgun way too much and doesn't like using play action under center. That's a big liability to our offence

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I always liked him, partly because he was so insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Should Ben return, he’s only 25 touchdowns behind Rivers. I know that’s not a reason to come back, but if Ben can have a 28+ TD and less than 10 int season, that will equate to a bunch of wins. What we saw with Drew Brees on Sunday was a guy who was done. Remember the pass to McDonald in the end zone with all kinds of zip on it? Ben knows his arm is good. All these “Ben doesn’t like plays” are also the responsibility of the coach.

I’m still a believer that if the team does it’s due diligence and builds an effective running game, Ben can manage the offense well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    But at what cost? His cap hit is ridiculous. Keeping him means losing other players. It also means we wasted a 3rd on Rudolph because he'll be a free agent and we will have no idea if he is our future or not

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Ive read again in again, how when Ben had to to bring us back in games this year.. he called his own plays,,, So maybe its not as much Bens fault as we/ yall might think.............

And how did this thread go from being abt Rivers to Ben.............................. yes Rivers is a HOF QB

• Like Like x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    With the immediate productive impact on the NFL that QB's that are currently coming out of college are having, I can safely say that Rudolph is not our future. Serviceable back up yes, possibly a starter on a lower tier team maybe. Starting QB long term for the Steelers, highly doubtful. JMHO.

21. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I think you hit the nail on the head. This is not a championship roster and Ben is no longer close to a championship QB so why pay all that money and delay a rebuild??

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The threads point was to show Philip knows it’s time to hang them up and so should Ben! And if he can’t do it himself the Rooney’s should make the choice for him. It’s what is best now.

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    3 Players now remain out of the 2004 NFL Draft Class

1. Ben Roethlisberger
    2. Larry Fitzgerald
    3. Andy Lee

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't know that any more than I do. You're just guessing. A QB can't produce immediately if they don't get a chance to play. Him getting a few games under ****ty Fitchner was not a real opportunity.

We aren't winning the SB next year. Cutting Ben so that we can keep other players, as well as letting Rudolph run with the starting job under a new OC, would be the smart thing to do. Unfortunately I no longer have faith in the Steelers to do the smart thing like they used to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Well congrats phillip. On winning absolutely nothing in your career :clapping:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3