1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Ingram...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 19, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    The Ravens are expected to release him today and might have already did it overnight. I know he has had some injury problems but he was a healthy scratch for the Ravens the final 4 or 5 games and I would definitely be interested in potentially bringing him in here for a year or two for maybe about 6-8 million assuming James Conner is not back. I would rather have Ingram as the running back over going with guys like Snell and McFarland.

I think it’s something the Steelers definitely should consider especially if they are hell bent in bringing Ben back and taking one more run at this thing next season. Ingram is a guy that makes a lot of sense.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure there’s a way to make that work (including keeping Ben for 1 more year) without sacrificing future seasons. We’re 20+ million over the estimated cap only counting the fewer than 40 guys under contract in 2021.

3. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    definitely. at the right price. on the cheap if not no. would be good playing against his old team thay cut him. more motivation

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If the Steelers drafted a running back in the first few rounds, and then paired him with Ingram, that would go a long way toward fixing the running game. Keep McFarland and let Snell and Conner go.

The problem is I'm not sure the Steelers can afford Ingram. Even if they can, how much does Ingram have left in the tank. He couldn't even beat out Gus Edwards for PT this season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you watch him play this year? He was never the most explosive guy to begin with, but add some miles on this aging wheels and he's not much better than Connor is. He's less explosive than Connor with better vision, which isn't surprising considering he was actually a really good RB at one time.

He has little left in the tank. Let someone else overpay for his washed up services

• Like Like x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If the price is right perhaps.

He was a solid runner for the Ravens in 2019, in 2020 injuries took the toll and Dobbins ran away with the job full time, and Gus Edwards seems decent too.

He had some great years, but I wouldn't do more than a one year deal and it have to be cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it was Colin Dunlap on The Fan a.m. show in Pittsburgh this morning that was making a case for Ingram. His take was that Pittsburgh is not the destination it once was for blue chip F.A.'s to want to sign with anymore and that an aging Ingram probably won't command much on the open market.

First of all, they can't afford a big name prospect in his prime. Second, it shouldn't be terribly difficult finding a young F.A. or mid round draft pick that could at least average 3.5 to 4 YPC if they fix the damn line. Plus, they wouldn't have to over pay for him.

I wouldn't cut Snell, he's still on a rookie deal and he's underused anyway. Samuels needs to go, he's nothing more than a bench warmer. I don't think they have any idea what to do with McFarland but to be honest, he didn't show too much with the opportunities he had. Conner is finished here. He could be better behind an improved o-line but he isn't worth paying to find out when you factor in his injury history.

Anyway, I'd pass on Ingram, but I wouldn't bang my head against the wall if they could bring him in on a cap friendly deal.

8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    He would be an upgrade over Snell and McFarland. Not saying he would completely rejuvenate the running game but I think he would be a nice upgrade over both.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No on Ingram. Draft best RB available in the 2nd round. Draft Center in the 1st round.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s not enough of an upgrade over what we already have for what it will cost to get him.

Fact is, Steelers were ranked dead last in run blocking, our RB’s aren’t as bad as they appeared. Add to the fact that the Steelers never committed to running the ball, it’s no wonder out RB’s didn’t light the world on fire.

That said, I don’t think either of Conner or Snell are elite, nor is Ingram, I’d look to the draft to upgrade at the position.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When you ranked dead last in rushing for the 1st time since the merger, congrats RF and MT, it will take more than a hand me down old rb who can't stay healthy to rejuvenate the mess we are in. Poor OL blocking, piss poor OC/ offensive strategy, an aging over powering stubborn QB, etc. is just the beginning to get things right.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Sign him, sign everyone!!!!!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    ot 1st rd, oc 2nd rd , rb 3rd rd

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Harris in first if available

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If the Steelers do not get lucky and get a stud running back in the draft that can be a star right off the bat,no point in having Big Ben back. Steelers need to start sucking next year to get a top pick to get a franchise QB. If not, then trade for Watson. Very little room for mistakes. They ruined an 11-0 start for god sakes.

16. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Fournette signed for $2 million/ 1year. I think that is more in line with the budget.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd rather the Steelers go with the best NCAA Center which is possible at where they will be picking. Good RBs can be had in the 2nd round.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When was Pittsburgh ever a destination for blue chip FA's? There may be someone I am missing, but at best recollection we usually never went the top tier guys, usually waited and would sign guys like Ingram or level b-c guys like Moats.

OK I do recall them signing Farrior...that is blue chip.

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If we’re going to sign an aging FA running back, sign Adrian Peterson and make him the RB coach at the same time.

21. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He would be an upgrade over Conner. Conner was the best running back we had after Bell left. Kind of like taking your shot with the prettiest girl at the ugly bar.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Build your backfield with 3rd contract proven performers on cheap deals, and guys on first contracts. If he's healthy, I'm down. Remember what a boon Deangelo Williams was? This guy could do the same.

Keep McFarland, the rest are meh. Draft/sign more cheap guys.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  24. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    We are paying 40+ million for a washed up old Qb so there's that too.

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree with bringing Ben back, just like I would disagree with bringing Ingram in, unless it was for next to nothing. I'm willing to bring Michael Strahan in for the league minimum. I'll give anyone a chance for the right money, but that's not realistic. Someone will offer Ingram more than he's worth.