1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1, 2, and 3 OL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Jan 17, 2021.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We will have to sign a free agent starter. You can't bank on 3 starters from the draft.

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    they actually drafted 5 D players with their first 5 picks, 3 CB, SS, and DT, but we have to many needs and to few picks. Besides just because you pick'em, does not mean they will be able to start right away..

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Big fan, but AQL has been making good points for T or C at 24. If Creed is there at 24 you got to think hard, a possible 10-12 year anchor for your line does not come by often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I would say

1. OL
    2. RB
    3. OL

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    DD probably didn't have any fun because he stunk

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If Ben comes back, and I believe 110% hes coming back, then my guess is Pouncey is coming back as well. That leaves you with Decastro, Pouncey, and Dotson as interior lineman, with Haubauer backing up. Chuks and Banner will be back. Thats 6 offensive lineman right there. We do not know if Big AL will be back. Frankly we do not know if Feiler will be back. They may consider moving him back to Tackle. The Steelers are only going to keep 8 max lineman. Using the first 3 picks would be a waste.

You guys who are expecting this entire line to turn over are going to be disappointed. It isn't the Steelers way.

I got a lot of disagrees when I said this earlier. I will say it again. DRAFT A RUNNING BACK IN THE FIRST ROUND. Our running back corps sucks. If you draft a guy like Etienne, that gives you a back with burst that can play all 3 downs. Assuming Ben is going to be in the shotgun a lot, a back that catches the ball out of the backfield as well as Travis does makes sense.

Najee Harris was brought up as well. I would be all for that as well. This team desperately needs a starting running back. You are not going to find a legit NFL starting running back in the middle rounds.

7. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Well if that is the OLine we have next year with guys like Pouncy and DD a year older we better draft Barry Sanders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying that it is what it is. For whatever reason this franchise is scared to literal death, of change.

9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Probably had something to do with that Montana kid. A better example happened in that same draft, though. The Redskins drafted May and Grimm in the first two rounds, and signed UDFA Joe Jacoby.

The Hogs were born.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I honestly think Pouncey will retire, if he doesn’t they really need to cut him. They have forced others in to retirement in the past.

I agree with a lot of the rest of what you are saying. I think DeCastro and Dotson will be the guards and then Banner and Chuks will play tackle. Draft a Center to start, and then another developmental lineman later in the draft.

One of the first two picks HAS to be a running back. McFarland should take a step forward next year too (hopefully)

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I have been saying this since his Rookie Season. I still believe that, had Zach Banner not gotten hurt and Big Al would have continued to struggle, Chuks and Banner would have been Left and Right Tackle Respectively. Sadly Banner ended up hurt.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know where this idea is coming from that you need to draft a RB in the first rd, I think that’s such a bad idea and judging by the last 2 drafts, so do GM’s. Only CEH was drafted in rd 1 last year, with the very last pick and Josh Jacob was the only one taken in 2019 in the 1st.

Taylor
    Dobbins
    Akens
    Swift
    Dillion

All were taken in Rd two. Gibson was taken in rd 3.

Just about every other position is more important for a team to use a first rd pick on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Why is everyone convinced Banner is any good? He's on his 4th team in 4 years, 302 career offensive snaps, lion's share of those as a big TE in 2019.

14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Well, they're broke so they may be forced to change more than usual.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Round two is the sweet spot for a running back, Gibson was very early third round so you could probably call him a second rounder.

It’s a bit hit and miss after that, mostly miss. Some outliers like Aaron Jones but tonnes of misses and guys that hang around the league for a few years without doing anything notable.

If they want an impact player in the backfield they should select a running back no later than the second imo.

This actually may be the year to trade out of the first for extra picks given how many needs they have. This is not Colbert’s usual MO but they are in an unprecedented situation.

16. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree blast if this team doesn’t take an Olineman Rd 1 I will scream! Or ***** on this MB

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    If we take one in the 2nd, so be it. Just get a guy that's ready to play. If the running game is going to improve in 21', then the Steelers can't afford to take their chances on another mid-draft project.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Jags got lucky in 2020 with an undrafted rookie RB. 1000+ yards rushing, 50 receptions, 10 TDs. He has field vision and rarely goes down on first contact. I think his 40 time at the combine spooked the league.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Building that Offensive Line is so critical. Why people assume a top flight back solves everything is a bit of a mystery to me. Even players like SaQuon Barkley and Christian McCaffrey need good Offensive Lineman play for their skillset to shine.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Najee Harris, but I'm not sure taking him in the first round is a good idea. There will plenty of good RBs in the second or third rounds.

21. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The thing that’s shocking to me on that list is how many of those RBs miss 20% plus of the total eligible games. Makes me feel like Conner isn’t as glass as I thought

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    round 1 I like Christian Darrisaw from Virginia Tech. Or Sam Cosmi

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This does not shock me in the slightest sadly. The average span of a Running Backs career is a under 3 years; 2.5 overall. This, coupled with the continued usage of a back by committee system, essentially raises the question for some teams as to whether or not a Feature Back is worth keeping around.

Sadly, those touches are going to rear their ugly head at some point. For that matter, expect even the likes of Derrick Henry to taper off a bit in 2021.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Darrisaw is a Top 20 Pick at worst; Top 15 being his likely outcome. Samuel Cosmi may shock some going as high as Top 10. That said, people are seriously factoring in his Top 5 Athletic Skillset and potential and ignoring his Round 2 technics and discipline.

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ok well you're probably smarter than me at the draft so where do you see the two offensive linemen going from Alabama? Deonte Brown or Alex Leatherwood? Jackson Carmen from Clemson could also be there no?