1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 16, 2021.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    So all the personal contacts and daily dealings they have with players, coaches, front office gets the local guys next to nothing?
    Seem like a bit of whine and snivel from the fan boy, lap dog local media.

2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    i think they rely on the team providing access more than anything. in the current environment this means that they all pretty much have the same limited info via zoom. the only advantage they normally have - having access to the locker room and practices is negated.

Off topic but Voracek dropped f-bomb and called the reporter a weasel on zoom after the Pens game. The most interesting thing on zoom i have seen. NSFW

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he is interested, but I think a great QB coach would be Charlie Batch. He was the guy that Ben looked for early on in his career when he went to the sideline. Although, sentimental emotions could play a role in not wanting to bench Ben in favor of any other QB. With that said, Matt Canada may have played a role in Mason's development over last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know if we should have gone external, or this is part of a long term plan.

All I do know is that the offense started the year looking creative and catching D's off-guard, utilising all our weapons and the full corps of receivers and running backs.

Then for the second half of the season we reverted to the utterly predictable stuff.

If the first half is Canada's influence, then that's a good sign for the future.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm sure the local guys all knew this well in advance. They probably fed the story to the national media outlets...maybe even for a small fee :). Point is the local guys are owned by the team. They know who butters their bread. Don't expect breaking news or critical opinions from any of the key local guys unless the team has ok'ed them doing so.

6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    If Ben were in control Bruce Arians would still be our OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coaching wasn't going to make a difference when the OL can't run block.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben wouldn't have survived this long if Arians was still the OC.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's exactly what coaching does. Otherwise, why have a coach...

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you're forgetting Pouncey, AV, DeCastro aren't in their prime anymore, they aren't physically able to get a push.

11. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    It's not that crazy if you followed Packers at all during those years. Favre turned the ball over. Most of his heroics were him trying to come back from the mistakes he always made. After Favre they had serious Front Office issues and had a terrible run of drafting talent that went on way too long before it was blown up. They also failed miserably trying to build a defense after giving up on the 4-3 base. Basically they ran out of patience on the 3-4 because they did a crap job of drafting. They tried running a 3-4 with the wrong personnel which meant rebuilding.... had a crap NT and mediocre LB's....then pulled the plug on it before they could build it. They could never get the LB's and playmakers they needed to run that defense the right way. They also could never find Rogers the elite WR he needed. Like Tomlin, McCarthy also struggled w/ the details. The packers were not a button upped team which leads to disappointing post season losses and choking to teams that play disciplined ball.

The steelers consistently had a top notch O-line while the packers struggled with it. We always had playmakers on both sides of the ball but couldn't capitalize. Talent wise the steelers were way ahead of the packers yet both teams had about the same success in the postseason. If Rogers had the guys like we had...Bell, Brown, Ward,. etc they would have easily added another ring or two. Tomlin's underachievement is something to behold. I'm amazed more people are not pointing this out in the national media because it's really obvious. I think Cowherd is the only guy that's honest about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Your missing the point, but that's fine.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because you don't have one :shrug:

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think the coaches job is to hope his players are better than the other teams players. That's my point.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Matt Canada has had jobs in 7 different places over the last 10 yrs. he bounced around a lot. He’s been fired or let go several times (NC ST, Maryland, LSU) and has left jobs for better ones (No Ill to Wisc, Pitt to LSU). It seems strange that a supposed offensive genius would have to be such a nomad. Reading his resume, it’s hard to be overly impressed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Right? And by all means let's not go with someone who has real NFL experience. I'm still optimistic but I wish they would have looked at what's out there.

18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Have they officially announced Matt Canada as the new OC?

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I heard Bruce Gradkowski on 93.7 the fan a few days back saying he might be interested, if he got a call...

Local kid, Steeler ties...And experience as a QB Coach idk?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the Canada pick but if we are going with experience, I’d have liked them to go after Brian Schottenheimer but he would cost a bundle.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And the Rooney's of course are too poor for that.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    According to wiki he volunteered as a HS QB coach, but he owns a pub so I am sure he can BS his way through the interview.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Always had a top notch line? Always had play makers on both sides of the ball? Look at the season rankings for our Oline the years Munch was here, and besides usually being at or near the top in sacks our secondary has been trash for years.

24. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    He doesnt make 41 million!!! How do you guys not know this stuff? its been all over this board, all over the news stories.

• Like Like x 2
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Your right, but his cap hit is 41,500,000.