1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Buds recovery

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 14, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's the same for all 3 guys that were injured. I wouldn't count on any of them to be where they were prior to the injuries by camp if it happens. Big gamble on bud and banner. We don't have money to waste. Especially banner. I think he is a wait and see player. I don't think many teams were pounding on his door prior to last year anyway.:cool:

2. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yup guys who explode in a contract year are suspect to me. Not to mention how slow his rehab looks. We might be able to finese a steal of a deal though if he has to go jobless through 2021

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Except he did it two years in a row and if he get’s a 1 year contract, he will again be playing for a big pay day.

So if his rehab is going well and they can swing a 1 year deal, there isn’t any reason not to bring him back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree on Bud, but Banner will cost peanuts and he might just work out. If he does then great, if he doesn’t then at worst he provides cheap depth or you cut him. He showed great discipline and work ethic to get in to shape last off season, they should give the guy a chance IMO.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was good the last 2 years, he also switched sides with Watt, and he got a real OLB coach in Butler. Fans need to stop with that crap he was only good so he could get paid, he's also one of their better run defenders.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Highsmith is gonna be better and it's not gonna take him 4 years to do it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Highsmith will get 5-6 sacks, he ain't no Dupree. Let's see if Highsmith can get 11.5 sacks like Bud did in 2019, while also playing the run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Ok let's. Let's see if it takes him 4 years to do it also.. ffs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not every rookie is going to be good in year 1 or year 2, they have to adjust to the NFL, at least Bud improved his game.

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You have to give credit to Butler for Bud's development. Bud seemed to blossom after Porter was shown the door.

I am worried about Banner's scale numbers with the injury and Covid shutdown. He worked so hard to get into football shape, I hope he hasn't regressed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I realize not every rookie is gonna be great in the first second year..your the one that took offense to me saying let Dupree walk. Lol

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's a big man to come back from that type of injury in that time. That's what I'm talking about. :cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s the part I don’t get, it’s like people are holding a grudge against him.

That he is the player they hope for when they drafted him, is all that matters now. .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I just don’t see it. It’s a shame but he’s our first cap casualty. Even without the cap in just plain monetary terms he walks. Juju stays for a price.

The real burner for us? Sutton or Hilton. Who do you keep?

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I get ya, my point was that in Banners case the risk vs reward is justifiable. He will probably be coming back on a deal close to league minimum.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He just finished his rookie year, give the young man some time. Maybe he will be better
    than Dupree?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    There was a kid from Clemson or LSU who came back within the same year like Rod Woodson.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dupree is a freak athlete, he would be in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped on some plays. I like Highsmith, but I don't see him as a double digit sack guy, he needs to get stronger in the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Today's? Rod Woodson blew an ACL week 1 and made it back to play in the super bowl. I know that's not remotely common then or now, but ACL's haven't been career killers for a LONG time now. Bud got hurt in the beginning of December. There's still 8 months before the season starts. At worst i wager a late september return. What hurts his FA value is he can't really work out for anyone to show he's recovered by the time it starts in March.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree.

Rod Woodson was a major exception to that role over 25 years ago. There has been a whole generation to improve upon the practices and treatments of injuries; ACL ones doubly so and no less. Players can come back from ACL Tears 100% but the time it takes them to can vary.

As I stated earlier this season, Avery Williamson seems like he still has some ways to go himself.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 be really honest, Bud was progressing every year....till his first injury....that set him back...since that...its been a steady incline....not saying he can't be better...just saying...I've made some money on him being Drafted 1st....So...I've paid alot of attention 2 his career. It's not as slow as alot think.
    Also if he's asking for 2 much of a Cap hit...I wouldn't resign him. LOL

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Bud was the reason the defense struggled down the stretch. He was missed way more than bush overall. By the way Wolfson came back to play but really wasn't ready. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.steelers.com/news/dupree-i-m-feeling-great-right-now

Dupree claims that he is feeling great and he will be ready for training camp. Of course, he went over the same talking points on Good Morning Football on the NFL Network this morning. Clearly, his agent has him trying to sell a good recovery to help him on the free-agent market. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but it should be looked at with skepticism.

The Good Morning Foootball crew really dropped the ball. They asked Watt about his recovery. They asked him about Watt, though they focused more on DPOY than the Madden idiocy. They got into some goofy thing about steaks from his Bud Brought a Buddy show. They never asked him about free agency. Now maybe he wouldn't have said anything, but if you bring on a player whose season is over and that player is a free agent, you ask about it, dammit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, the only chance I had to watch Mason, he did a lot better then Ben had been doing and did the following week. Mason looked at least like a fully functioning mobile QB with the capability to throw more than 5 yards.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your comparting a rookie to stats of a player that was in his 4th(?) year 2019? Honestly, in looking at DuPree's first few years, how many on this board would say he was a better pick than what we think of Highsmith right now in year 1? If I remember correctly, many thought of Dupree as a bust, while now, most say Highsmith is an up and coming legit talent. I like them both and hope they stay on board if at all possible.